What's new

Anyone else only get 2 shaves per blade

I'm still working my way through a blade sample pack, but I discovered that I only get a single (3.5 pass) shave with Treet blades, and Derby blades feel blunt out of the box. Merkur blades last about 3-4 shaves though. Maybe my beard is made of wire or something?

So now i'm crious. gor the people that get 3+ shaves out of a blade, are you doing 1, 2 or 3 pass shaves? more? Do you make many passes or as few as possible?

I consistently get three shaves from red-pack IPs, sometimes four. I wash the blade after each shave, pat it dry, dry the razor and put it back together. I do 3 passes with a bit of touch-up. I figure a 100-pack (for about $11) will come close to getting me through a full year.

That's it for me...2 shaves. I don't even try for more. If there is a blade in the razor it has only been used once...after that it is promptly discarded. I've never thought of that as a bad thing though.

I shave my head as well, so I do not try to push the blades too far since the hair on my head is much thicker than on my face and have got to be dulling the blades faster. Since my head will forgive a slightly dull blade, here's what I do

1st Shave - face first, head second
2nd Shave - face first, head second
3rd shave - head first, swap blade and then face with a new blade

the next time around, I do two face and head shaves and then toss the blade.

Last week, I made a few minor changes to my technique, which I discussed in another thread, and received 5 good shaves (today was the last) with a Lord Platinum blade. Previously, I was only getting 2 to 3 shaves from the Lords. Improvements on my technique gave me near BBS shaves that were close and comfortable.

I'm interested to see how this will play with the Derbys and Bluebirds, which I had little success using before. I am certain I can take any blade (except WM Personnas) to 3 shaves.

10-20 shaves, any blade*, any lather.

I have a normal beard (black hair so maybe a little on the thick side). 3-4 passes each shave.

I actually prefer a slightly dulled blade, I think.

*except Merkurs. Zero with those :(.

Interestingly, I just posted a comment about this very topic in another thread. I use a Feather blade for a max of 3 shaves, but since incorporating an ATG pass every day a few weeks ago, I find that the blade only lasts 2 shaves. On the third shave, I find that the blade is not able to slice through effortlessly anymore, resulting in irritation. And the ATG pass then draws blood.

Feathers I get up to 7 shaves, astra I get up to 5 maybe 6 shaves, red pack IP I get 2-3 shaves, and with most others I don't even touch them because its just painful. I usually do 2-3 passes for a shave.

I use Derby and only get three at the most, glad you raised the question, i was wondering myself if people are getting more ! But for the cost id rather switch blades than stretch it, a dull blade day seems like a great shave day lost otherwise.

I have settled on using Astra and Feather blades and find that 4 shaves is more than enough before replacing them. I do a 3 pass shave with a touch-up afterwards. As was said above, DE blades are cheap and designed to be disposable, so I see no reason to persist in using a blade until they start shaving poorly.

Pete

Top Bottom