What's new

Anyone buy the One Blade razor?

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
My kid gifted me a Genesis for Father's Day and I look forward to trying it. In a serious groove right now with my Rockwell 6S though and don't want to break the winning streak. FWIW-I was given the choice of a Rex Ambassador or the OneBlade Genesis. Did I make the right choice? My logic was that I've already got a couple of solid adjustable in the Mergress and 6S, but my only SE remains a Rocnel SE-G, which I've never quite figured out.
I would take the One Blade Reason is with an adjustable, usually becomes one setting that you use and little to no actual adjusting. The Rexx is just another DE adjustable, I don't mean to detract, I'm sure it's a great razor. I have the Envoy and find it well built.

The OneBlade is a different animal. SE razors are in general compared to DE. I have not shaved with the Ambassador but comparing the Envoy and Genesis. The Envoy shaves more smoothly, barely any blade feel. The Genesis is a bit tuggier. So the feel DURING the shave goes tot he Envoy. However, I have learned that the feel DURING the shave is of lesser importance than the feel AFTER the shave. The Genesis wins there as the Envoy always leaves me with some slight irritation. Almost unnociable with A/S or balm. In the summer I prefer to come right off the soap with a water rinse and be done as I have oily skin and additional A/S or balm will usually have me greasy.

The other razor I own that is not super comfortable during the shave but leaves my skin feeling just about untouched is the Muhle R41.

A/S wise, when I do need something I used to just use witch hazel but but have found the Imperial Bergamot A/S to be the deal. Their soap is great too, though unscented and a melt and pour type soap which puts some off, but I have found it far superior to any other melt and pour (Mama Bear, VdH, Ogalalla)

TMI, but sorry, I let my fingers do the walking (who remembers that phrase?). If you do, you're old like me. LOL

The Genesis is a great razor. It's like a cartridge but more efficient. When you get it, watch the videos on OneBlades site on how to shave with it. It's not like a DE or other SE razor, the head pivots with your face so you need to learn to let the head do it's thing.
Just retired the most recent blade in my Rockwell (after 6 shaves, a personal best with this razor!) - so tomorrow is Day 1 with the Genesis. Thanks for the good advice on the pivot. I had some time this afternoon to set up for tomorrow morning's shave and when I loaded the Feather into the Genesis, the pivot was giving me some concern. I'm so used to keeping a consistent blade angle with my DEs, it had me scratching my head.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Just retired the most recent blade in my Rockwell (after 6 shaves, a personal best with this razor!) - so tomorrow is Day 1 with the Genesis. Thanks for the good advice on the pivot. I had some time this afternoon to set up for tomorrow morning's shave and when I loaded the Feather into the Genesis, the pivot was giving me some concern. I'm so used to keeping a consistent blade angle with my DEs, it had me scratching my head.
You won't get six shaves out an the Feather blade. One and done for me. I can do two, but I don't like it. Truly 1.5, but I'm not going to change blades in the middle of a two pass shave.

I would take the One Blade Reason is with an adjustable, usually becomes one setting that you use and little to no actual adjusting. The Rexx is just another DE adjustable, I don't mean to detract, I'm sure it's a great razor. I have the Envoy and find it well built.

The OneBlade is a different animal. SE razors are in general compared to DE. I have not shaved with the Ambassador but comparing the Envoy and Genesis. The Envoy shaves more smoothly, barely any blade feel. The Genesis is a bit tuggier. So the feel DURING the shave goes tot he Envoy. However, I have learned that the feel DURING the shave is of lesser importance than the feel AFTER the shave. The Genesis wins there as the Envoy always leaves me with some slight irritation. Almost unnociable with A/S or balm. In the summer I prefer to come right off the soap with a water rinse and be done as I have oily skin and additional A/S or balm will usually have me greasy.

The other razor I own that is not super comfortable during the shave but leaves my skin feeling just about untouched is the Muhle R41.

A/S wise, when I do need something I used to just use witch hazel but but have found the Imperial Bergamot A/S to be the deal. Their soap is great too, though unscented and a melt and pour type soap which puts some off, but I have found it far superior to any other melt and pour (Mama Bear, VdH, Ogalalla)

TMI, but sorry, I let my fingers do the walking (who remembers that phrase?). If you do, you're old like me. LOL
Chandu - my logic was similar with the Rex Ambassador. I had the chance to handle one and really liked the fit and finish, however, already being proud and satisfied Mergress owner has allowed me to check the twist adjustable box. On a separate subject - you mentioned oily skin and finishing with just a water rinse. As with most things, YMMV, but I highly recommend a warm water rinse to remove soap/cream residue, followed by a cold water rinse, and then run an alum block over your shave. I find alum works incredibly well at sealing pores and it has a wonderful drying effect.

I just bought the Oneblade Core and I'll be using it for the first time today. Will report back how it goes.

I did insert a blade though to see how it works and for some reason the blades becomes loose pretty easly. Is this normal?

I did use an older blade not the ones that come with it so maybe they fit better?

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Core is a good milder version. If you are like me, with the Core you will need to push hard enough to activate the pivot on the curves.

Ahh thanks for the tip I might try that

Just found out that the blade is suppose the wiggle around that wa one blade calls it active floating.

I've only shaved twice with it so I'm not use to it yet

Three shaves with the OneBlade under my belt. There was a learning curve, but despite this, the result was great on the first shave. A couple of minor scratches from raking my chin but the end result was one of my best 3 pass shaves. I ignored some good advice and coaxed a second shave out of the blade the next day. Also a very good result, but not quite what I got with the first and it definitely took a little more time and care. For Day 3, I binned the old blade and started fresh. Could have been a blade QC issue but I didn't get anywhere near the result of the earlier shaves. No irritation but just not as close. I like it and I'll certainly keep going with it but wanted to report results.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Three shaves with the OneBlade under my belt. There was a learning curve, but despite this, the result was great on the first shave. A couple of minor scratches from raking my chin but the end result was one of my best 3 pass shaves. I ignored some good advice and coaxed a second shave out of the blade the next day. Also a very good result, but not quite what I got with the first and it definitely took a little more time and care. For Day 3, I binned the old blade and started fresh. Could have been a blade QC issue but I didn't get anywhere near the result of the earlier shaves. No irritation but just not as close. I like it and I'll certainly keep going with it but wanted to report results.
Thanks for the update. Respect the what the Feathers tell you use wise. I think to really enjoy the OneBlade, you put up with the blade cost or your just forget about it. For me trying to high mile the Feathers only made the shaves less enjoyable and results worse.

I have a friends 6S on loan. Got it today so will be trying it out tomorrow. I think I will start with plate 3 and see where I go from there. I never cared for the look of it and that has what has kept me uninterested. It just looked too thick and heavy to me. However in person, it is a lot nicer in the hand than I imagined. If it shaves well, there might be some horse trading in my future.

P.S. I've been playing around with the alum. I have been wiping on and then rinsing that off lightly. Not sure I'm ready for the full on tightness it seems like it would leave. (I will try it though - baby steps :) ) My shave technique must be ok too as I don't get a lot of burn with it at all. I've used it after the R41, the Henson + and Schick E, so far so good.

I gave the OneBlade Core a shot last night. It was a good shave from a mild razor. The Feather was not particularly sharp and I needed to do some work to coax a BBS out of the razor, but it was doable without too much drama. No cuts, very little feedback from my aftershave. I will try a second shave with the Feather, however if I can't get at least 4 shaves from the blade, this isn't the razor for me due to blade cost. It will probably remain a curio in my collection.

I gave the OneBlade Core a shot last night. It was a good shave from a mild razor. The Feather was not particularly sharp and I needed to do some work to coax a BBS out of the razor, but it was doable without too much drama. No cuts, very little feedback from my aftershave. I will try a second shave with the Feather, however if I can't get at least 4 shaves from the blade, this isn't the razor for me due to blade cost. It will probably remain a curio in my collection.
Investigate the GEM PTFE Blade hacks. Easy to do and extends blade life. Also, GEM's far less expensive than the Feathers. I have a Hybrid and a Core and have been using the GEM hacks for a long time and do not regret it. I would say it extends the life of a blade almost 10 fold.

I'll look into the GEM option. As things stand right now, I'm pleased but not thrilled with the Feather performance in the OneBlade. IMHO, the blade has too much flex. Combined with the pivoting action of the razor head, I'm wondering if this introduces too much variability. I'm also struggling a little with the Feather's sharpness consistency. I'm reluctantly willing to replace the blade with every shave, provided that it guarantees a great shave every time. The new blade I used for my 3rd shave with the OneBlade did not do this. It was about on par with my 2nd shave using the first blade. If you're paying a buck a shave to use $385 razor, I have to question the value proposition, as it starts to get away from one of the core principles of wet shaving - doing it better for less.

I only use the OneBlade. I bought a grip of Feather blades before they became proprietary for cheap. I also had good luck with the Gem blades and contributed to a thread on how to mod the blades for better fit. Though not really necessary it was fun to play around with. I only shave once per week so I have a long ways to go before I go back to using Gems anyways. Agree the FHS don’t last long. I use them only one time once per week.

The Genesis shaves the closest, and WILL yield a weeper or two if your careless, or apply too much pressure. I've made 6-7 shaves, flipping the blade, and performing just two passes during the first shave or two with a blade. Still more tolerable if you've had a rough shave with your DE or other SE razor, allowing the face a day or two to recover, yet still feel cleanly shaven.

I’m trying to figure out if I want to upgrade my Hybrid to a Genesis because I would like a bit more of an aggressive shave.

What is it about the Genesis that makes it shave closer do you think? According to Oneblade’s website they share the same head but claim that the Genesis is more aggressive. So I’m just trying to figure out what it is that makes it a more aggressive razor.

I’m trying to figure out if I want to upgrade my Hybrid to a Genesis because I would like a bit more of an aggressive shave.

What is it about the Genesis that makes it shave closer do you think? According to Oneblade’s website they share the same head but claim that the Genesis is more aggressive. So I’m just trying to figure out what it is that makes it a more aggressive razor.
I have a Hybrid & later purchased a Genesis. To me the additional weight of the Genesis makes it more aggressive. I later sold the Genesis and kept the Hybrid as I do prefer milder razors. Hope this helps.

I’m not knowledgeable enough to say why it is more aggressive, but I can say it is. I suspect, as does OhioBob the extra weight does it. But I have the core, hybrid and genesis. They go from mild to medium agression from the core up. Distinct differences with each.

I enjoy the Genesis shaves but not the cost of blades. Two 3-pass shaves and the blade is finished for me. I am Caucasian face shaver with medium to thick growth from neck to upper cheeks. I prepare well with Trumper’s skin food after a shower. I give the blades every chance but the will not last for me.

Once they get the right blade manufactured, popularity should soar. Great easy shaves otherwise.

I’m not knowledgeable enough to say why it is more aggressive, but I can say it is. I suspect, as does OhioBob the extra weight does it. But I have the core, hybrid and genesis. They go from mild to medium agression from the core up. Distinct differences with each.

I enjoy the Genesis shaves but not the cost of blades. Two 3-pass shaves and the blade is finished for me. I am Caucasian face shaver with medium to thick growth from neck to upper cheeks. I prepare well with Trumper’s skin food after a shower. I give the blades every chance but the will not last for me.

Once they get the right blade manufactured, popularity should soar. Great easy shaves otherwise.
I switched to using GEM PTFE blades via a blade hack and receive better shaves with less cost & much greater longevity for the blades.

The Genesis was my preferred razor until I discovered the Henson, in fact I have two of them. I still think that the best way to get a very close shave with the Genesis is not to force the pivot and to let it work when needed, using the razor as any other safety razor. I used only the Feather blades, one or two shaves, depending on the mood.
I have the Core too, it’s ok but far from the performance of the Genesis.

Alright you guys talked me into it. Just placed the order for the Genesis. With the upgrade program they have it came out to a little under half off.

You won't regret it. You know about the blades going in so, no need to crab. As a travel razor I love it. Sometimes when you are staying with family and friends you aren't able to tie up the bathroom for your regular DE 40-45 minutes. With my Hybrid I can be out in 25-30 minutes and still have a great shave. It's worth it.

Top Bottom