What's new

Anyone buy the One Blade razor?

I bought a One Blade about two months ago. NOT very pleased. The proprietary Feather blades are expensive,
and I get maybe 2 shaves out of them. The slot clogs very easy with shaving soap or cream and I just did not
care for it. I gave it the recommended 15 shaves when I first got it. Im NOT impressed.

I had a metal one awhile back. I was please with the shave but I found it too boring. Since shaving is my hobby I want something that requires some skill. I have to admit for someone who shaving is not a hobby, it could be great. To each his own.

They lost me with the proprietary blade. I didn't get into old school shaving to be told what blade I have to use.
I agree with the OP that the Feather blades it requires are overpriced and dull way too quickly.

I bought the Genesis and really wanted to like it. But like you I found the blades to be absolutely awful. The first shave was quite sharp. The second shave was dull. I couldn't get a third shave. With the cost of the blades and only two inconsistent shaves per blade, I returned it and do not recommend that razor.

If you're looking for a modern single blade, I was pleasantly surprised by the Supply SE. Much less expensive razor, yet built like a tank. I got 14 good shaves from one of their black label blades. I do recommend the Supply SE!

It sounds like the Feather blades perform the same as their de blades. I get 2 shaves from a Feather & bin it. They are more expensive than most blades, but they sure are sharp & smooth while they last.

I get one really nice shave with these feather fhs blades, I could get a second uncomfortable shave if I pushed it..I think they were designed for a single shave by feather. Oneblade was pushing a single shave from each blade in their first One blade marketing campaign..

Reactions: J T
The Core introduced me to wet shaving and away from cartridges. I loved it. It is my travel razor. The Genesis gives me a fabulous quick shave without any thought. I use it when I am in a rush. Proprietary blades don‘t worry me. I use Gems a lot. Same there. But I admit two shaves is as much as I get from the Feathers. I get at least 6 from a Gem blade.

Yep. I'm in the same boat as everyone else. 2 shaves, I've done three shaves on that blade but it was just not good. No options for blades, took all the fun out of it. I get 4 shaves from the Feather DE but that is pushing it too. I do love the Feather DE blade but know I'm not going to get as many shaves from it.

The One Blade Razor is a no-go. I'm hoping maybe in 20 years I can sell mine to someone who is a collector of vintage. LOL.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
The Oneblade core is a mild razor and it works well with de-spined Gem blade. There are a few ways to install Gem blades in them and Subie shaves hack is one of the better hacks IMO. The Gem SS PTFE is superior for longevity than the FHS10 blades IMO.
It is hard to beat the quality of the 1st shave with a FHS10 blade but it starts to drop off quickly after that.
The Oneblade razor is designed for easy carefree shaving and is great also for Newbies just getting into traditional shaving.
The different razor models are well built & the core being the entry model of the different variants available. I still use mine of many razors I have for shaving the back of my neck and the odd regular shave.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I have had all of them and currently have the Genesis. It is a very nicely made razor that has short lived blades. I’m not going to despine Gem blades, I will pay the piper for the tune. I never got on with the Core, but liked the Hybrid, but the build of the Genesis is nicest and it shave very slightly closer. I had to mash the head on the Core, less so on the Hybrid and not at all on the Genesis.

All of this is a YMMV. A simple Gem Junior shaves me better in closeness and in comfort during the shave. The One Blade series has always been tuggy on my chin regardless of new or used blade. (Usually tossed after one shave, two at the very most). My Muhle R41 is tuggy there too, but shaves much closer and I can actually get a quicker shave with the R41 than the Genesis. The R41 takes only two passes and doesn’t need any cleanup or buffing which makes it faster for me than the One Blade. It amuses me how some think you shouldn’t pick up the R41 unless you have 20 minutes at your disposal, for me it’s my goto in a time crunch.

OP, it sounds like you have a thick heavy beard and I can see you not liking the results, especially if you have the Core. A Hybrid or Genesis might be a little better for you, but I don’t think enough to give you what you are looking for and you are still left running expensive blades. I think you should move on to some other SE.

Injector wise, I have not found a new one that lives up to the ethos and capability of the original models. I’ve tried.

I like my Gem Junior a lot. The heavy thick blade makes for a very comfortable shave.

I have all three One Blade razors, the Core was under $20, the Hybrid was during a sale, as was the Genesis.

In the Core, it's two and done, and if you only perform two passes (I go ATG, followed by a combination WTG/XTG), and flip the blade, you can stretch it to 4. - It's my Travel razor.

The Hybrid can go 4-5 shaves easily by flipping the blade every other shave, and yields a closer, yet mild on the face shave. It also takes a bit less work, and has better 'glide' than the Core.

The Genesis shaves the closest, and WILL yield a weeper or two if your careless, or apply too much pressure. I've made 6-7 shaves, flipping the blade, and performing just two passes during the first shave or two with a blade. Still more tolerable if you've had a rough shave with your DE or other SE razor, allowing the face a day or two to recover, yet still feel cleanly shaven.

The secret to a close shave with any of the three is to actually use a less slick soap or cream. They actually perform REALLY well using Cremo or canned Barbasol, so I tend to use my hot-lather machine with them, for a quick shave on early mornings, with less clean-up time, particularly on those early cold winter mornings. (No brush and/or bowl to clean saves time, when I have a 7:00AM networking meeting to attend).

GEM blades to shave a little closer, if you manage to get the notches cut just right, they're a tiny bit thinner blade, and more importantly sharper, and stay sharper longer. I go back and forth between the FHS blades and the GEMs.

At one time I had all three One Blade razors. The Core is mild, the Hybrid a little more efficient and the Genesis the best. I gravitate to the Hybrid so I sold the Genesis. I have been using Subie Shaves GEM blade hack and it works. I haven't used a Feather blade in over a year. Like others I could only get a couple shaves out of the Feathers.

Interesting razor but that proprietary blade thing seems like a no go!
Lots of other single edge razors out there that seem more promising (and practical for ownership).
i.e., Razorock Hawk, Claymore Evolution etc..
I think I would pass on something like this!

I love my Hybrid. It gives me the closest shave I’ve ever had with absolutely no irritation.

I’m also using Subie Shaves hack with the Gem and it works great. I haven’t used the blade multiple times yet, so I can’t comment on longevity. However, I noticed it gives me a much more mild shave and not quite as close as the Feather blades.

My kid gifted me a Genesis for Father's Day and I look forward to trying it. In a serious groove right now with my Rockwell 6S though and don't want to break the winning streak. FWIW-I was given the choice of a Rex Ambassador or the OneBlade Genesis. Did I make the right choice? My logic was that I've already got a couple of solid adjustable in the Mergress and 6S, but my only SE remains a Rocnel SE-G, which I've never quite figured out.

My kid gifted me a Genesis for Father's Day and I look forward to trying it. In a serious groove right now with my Rockwell 6S though and don't want to break the winning streak. FWIW-I was given the choice of a Rex Ambassador or the OneBlade Genesis. Did I make the right choice? My logic was that I've already got a couple of solid adjustable in the Mergress and 6S, but my only SE remains a Rocnel SE-G, which I've never quite figured out.
The Genesis is a great razor. It's like a cartridge but more efficient. When you get it, watch the videos on OneBlades site on how to shave with it. It's not like a DE or other SE razor, the head pivots with your face so you need to learn to let the head do it's thing.

Top Bottom