What's new

Any hookah smokers?

Inhale. The tobacco gives a nice buzz by the time you finish the bowl, and it makes for the perfect dessert. In the winter, I'll watch TV and have some nice scotch and hookah before bed. In the summer I'll often take the hookah outside to the porch and enjoy the last bit of fresh air before moving to some nice air conditioning to sleep in.

I'm also a hookah fan. Double apple is the best flavor I've tried.

As for heat management, it certainly is important. I have found one of those handheld blowtorches with the electric trigger ignitions is the best way to light the coals quickly and evenly.

masonjarjar: I inhale. The point of the hookah is to smooth out the smoke, so I don't see much point in not inhaling. The water filters out a lot of (though certainly not all) the nicotine and tar, so it isn't as harmful as unfiltered smoke from a cigar or traditional pipe. Not that it's good for you by any means.

I like to experiment with adding things to the water. Ice is a classic, as are various flavored liquids (wine, liquor, etc.). I've never tried milk though, that's intriguing...

masonjarjar: I inhale. The point of the hookah is to smooth out the smoke, so I don't see much point in not inhaling. The water filters out a lot of (though certainly not all) the nicotine and tar, so it isn't as harmful as unfiltered smoke from a cigar or traditional pipe. Not that it's good for you by any means.

The water filters little to no amounts of the bad stuff. It just mellows the smoke.

There's a lot of Double Apple love here. It's not a bad flavor, but Pomegranate is my current favorite. :001_smile

This seems like a fun thing to do socially, but kind of crappy by yourself? Either way, I'm interested in trying one, but have shied away from any smoking related things due to possible performance loss in my sport. Maybe after nationals.

This seems like a fun thing to do socially, but kind of crappy by yourself?

It's definitely way better socially, like most things are, but it's certainly not crappy when you're alone. I'd say it's on par with a cigar -- it's obviously much more fun when you have 2-3 people to enjoy it with, but if you're alone, hey, at least you still have a sweet cigar.

I enjoy a good hookah experience. We have a couple hookah cafes in my city, one an actual restaurant and the other serving a few basics like tea and coffee along with the hookahs. I would love to buy one for myself, but the wonderfully backwards state of Kansas recently passed vaguely-written legislation targeting "drug paraphernalia", which my city's police department has decided should forbid the purchase of any hookahs, among other things (even though I have never known anyone to smoke marijuana with a hookah around here, it's wasteful and the stuff is just too expensive here to waste).

I give the law 6 months before it's struck down for various reasons. Sad really that a state which began as a bastion of freedom (as opposed to those slavery-loving Missourians :wink: ) should often indulge in such unnecessary intrusion into the lives of its residents.

If you're looking for a Hookah in Kansas, just make a quick little trip over to Manhattan (of all places). I just moved from there, and there's a shop in Aggieville called "On The Wild Side" which sells hookahs, shisha, coals, and accessories. It's a very hippie store, and I don't know how they get away with it, but apparently Riley County Police Department takes the view that soldiers beating up (or trying to beat up...) college kids in the 'ville is a bit more important than a couple of hippies selling funky pipes with legitimate uses.

I smoked a hookah once a few years back on a Catholic young adults retreat. We all sat around smoking double apple all night and lighting fire crackers in the woods. It was a lot of fun and quite relaxing. I'd like to try it again sometime, but never get around to it.

I have a hookah. Havn't tried any tobaccos with it yet though. This thread has gotten my interest back up though. I figure sometime next week I'll stop by the only store that I know of that carries the stuff and get a few flavors. Probably give the apple a try since it seems to be a big hit. Do they just have normal tobacco flavors also? Or is it meant to be flavored?

In addition to the shisha, you can smoke regular pipe tobacco in it. The flavor just helps make the smoke a little milder still (after going through 36 inches of pipe, a water filtering, and then a hose).

thanks for the info.

I read that you can place the tobacco on the coals or use the screen...what would you guys say is best?

you place the coals on top of a tinfoil or screen covered bowl(head). the coals bake the tobacco and release the smoke. if you place the coals directly on the shisha then you burn it and the smoke is terribly harsh. however, that style is used when smoking zaghoul or tombac which is more iranian.
if you are new to it then i suggest you stick with the foil or screen. but screens are garbage. you use just reynolds heavy duty (1 layer) and poke 3 rings of holes the size of a picture hanging tack. then add the coals. if its harsh tasting then you are using too much heat. if you have any questions you can always pm me and i will direct you to another forum i am on that specifically focuses on hookah and related things.

I actually read a study recently that said a bowl of hooka tabacco contains the same amount of nicotine and tar as is in an entire pack of ciggerettes as there is no filter at all. I still smoke both. Just a fact I picked up.

I actually read a study recently that said a bowl of hooka tabacco contains the same amount of nicotine and tar as is in an entire pack of ciggerettes as there is no filter at all. I still smoke both. Just a fact I picked up.

I hear that's the same with Cigars. Although I don't inhale cigars and I don't think I intend on inhaling from a hookah.

I'm afraid I don't buy it. I also don't buy those that say that the water doesn't have any filtering effect at all. It simply doesn't jibe with my personal experience. I have less of a buzz after smoking a hookah bowl than after smoking a good-sized cigar...

there is alot of b.s. research on hookah in general. most of the studies that have been done are small time and only focus on the short term views. they also do not take into account smoker history nor how many people may share a hookah. typically (unless you are a valid enthusiast such as myself) 3-4 or more people share a bowl that may only have 30-50grams in it. this also does not count for downtime in between puffs and what nots. the water acts as a slight filter as well.
i am not saying that it is better as most hookah smokers will not deny it is as bad as cigs or pipes but it is something that needs a real longitudinal study.

I hear that's the same with Cigars. Although I don't inhale cigars and I don't think I intend on inhaling from a hookah.

I don't see much of a point of smoking hooka without inhaling because the water is meant to calm the smoke so its not harsh on your lungs.
As for getting a "buzz".... You'll get more a buzz from the hooka than a cigar because your lungs are much more vascular than your mouth is causing you to absorb more nicotine into your blood stream as well as choke your lungs for oxygen. Water has a slight filtering ability but not much. The smoke travels through in bubbles and certain things may be attracted to the polar covalent bonds of the h20 but I would put my money on that filter saving my life.

Top Bottom