What's new

Another P320 Mishap

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Do like and trust revolvers and do regularly practice blind reloads but the topic was about Sig 320 mishaps, and they are getting lots of ink (or pixels) these days.

The almost universal common factor in the current reports seems to be the gun going off while in a holster BUT during some sort of activity. Historically Sig has been pretty good about recalls and there have been several instances of birthing issues that pretty quickly got addressed, resolved and have not shown recurrences in those firearms where the upgrade/fix has been done. This includes the voluntary recall relating to early drop safety issues with the P320 and related to that issue Sig went beyond even the terms of settlement to extend time limits on upgrades and add additional reimbursement or refunds.

That Sig has not issued a recall or voluntary recall or advisory related to the P320 (it's so hard to write that and not have it come out P230) immaculate discharges leads me to believe that Sig has been totally unable to replicate the failure in the lab.

Currently I believe 15 or 16 Nations have adopted it for their police or military and in the US quite a few cities and states also made it standard LE issue so there are lots and lots of them out there.

We're not hearing tales that armorers are discovering Sig P320 pistols stored cocked are being found decocked when retrieved for issue. We're not finding thousands of instances of immaculate discharge. We're not hearing tales of P320s exhibiting immaculate discharge while stored in the dresser or on the nightstand or in the safe.

I've not see any data on exactly what brand or model holster was involved in each instance.

I do know I've purchased holsters that did allow fingers and other stuff to accidentally get into areas where fingers and stuff should not be and those holsters did not even get to hide in the Boxes of Shame or I was extra cautious when using the holster. I do know that those holsters were also from reputable companies and often companies that used safety and retention as sales tools.

I do know that there was a case of immaculate discharge in Canada and sure enough, investigation revealed that the culprit was a foreign object got in the holster depressing the trigger while something else lead to the slide moving plus the holsters were for a different make and model pistol.

It's really nice to be able to say "I wasn't doing anything and it just broke!" but that seldom worked when I was a kid and probably won't work these days.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Do like and trust revolvers and do regularly practice blind reloads but the topic was about Sig 320 mishaps, and they are getting lots of ink (or pixels) these days.

The almost universal common factor in the current reports seems to be the gun going off while in a holster BUT during some sort of activity. Historically Sig has been pretty good about recalls and there have been several instances of birthing issues that pretty quickly got addressed, resolved and have not shown recurrences in those firearms where the upgrade/fix has been done. This includes the voluntary recall relating to early drop safety issues with the P320 and related to that issue Sig went beyond even the terms of settlement to extend time limits on upgrades and add additional reimbursement or refunds.

That Sig has not issued a recall or voluntary recall or advisory related to the P320 (it's so hard to write that and not have it come out P230) immaculate discharges leads me to believe that Sig has been totally unable to replicate the failure in the lab.

Currently I believe 15 or 16 Nations have adopted it for their police or military and in the US quite a few cities and states also made it standard LE issue so there are lots and lots of them out there.

We're not hearing tales that armorers are discovering Sig P320 pistols stored cocked are being found decocked when retrieved for issue. We're not finding thousands of instances of immaculate discharge. We're not hearing tales of P320s exhibiting immaculate discharge while stored in the dresser or on the nightstand or in the safe.

I've not see any data on exactly what brand or model holster was involved in each instance.

I do know I've purchased holsters that did allow fingers and other stuff to accidentally get into areas where fingers and stuff should not be and those holsters did not even get to hide in the Boxes of Shame or I was extra cautious when using the holster. I do know that those holsters were also from reputable companies and often companies that used safety and retention as sales tools.

I do know that there was a case of immaculate discharge in Canada and sure enough, investigation revealed that the culprit was a foreign object got in the holster depressing the trigger while something else lead to the slide moving plus the holsters were for a different make and model pistol.

It's really nice to be able to say "I wasn't doing anything and it just broke!" but that seldom worked when I was a kid and probably won't work these days.

A billy goat ate my homework teacher! :)

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
I met a fella at the LGS that had an unholstered P365 immaculately discharge in his shorts front pocket (Very lucky guy BTW. Nothing made of meat was hit). Except that he also had some AA batteries in the same said pocket so... Was it an immaculate discharge or pure dumbassery? I'm leaning towards the latter I'm not gonna call anyone out because I wasn't there, but the post by @jar_ is definitely a well reasoned one.

I am sure that I am in the minority on this, but I prefer a manually operated safety for risk reduction. That or a very heavy and long trigger pull.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I met a fella at the LGS that had an unholstered P365 immaculately discharge in his shorts front pocket (Very lucky guy BTW. Nothing made of meat was hit). Except that he also had some AA batteries in the same said pocket so... Was it an immaculate discharge or pure dumbassery? I'm leaning towards the latter I'm not gonna call anyone out because I wasn't there, but the post by @jar_ is definitely a well reasoned one.
My own personal level of dumbassery is so easily reached that it limits me to revolvers without any batteries in them.

I should be safe?

OkieStubble

I am sure that I am in the minority on this, but I prefer a manually operated safety for risk reduction. That or a very heavy and long trigger pull.

I dunno, I don’t think you are a minority. Manual thumb safeties have their place; like on a 1911 or Browning High Power or Beretta 80 Series pistol’s.

While I personally don’t feel the need for a thumb safety of a DA hammer fired pistol a de- cocker is nice? I also don’t prefer a thumb safety on a striker fired pistol, but I simply look at it as a preference and not a hate or disliked thing. I wouldn’t want a striker fired pistol manufacturer forcing a thumb safety on me; but I’m also glad some manufacturers provide their pistols with the option of a thumb safety or not for those like you who do prefer them.

I believe in the sound logic; that if you think and feel you are safer with one? I believe with you that you probably are? My concern comes in when those few others who feel this way for themselves, think or want to dictate that logic to me, only because if they think they need it? Then I should be forced to need it too?

I’m not down with that kinda logic. I have safely carried and used striker fired pistols going on 3 1/2 decades now. My confidence in my Glock pistols safety designs and my trigger finger discipline has never let me down. Those who think they need it, probably do. Those who are confident without it, are probably safe without it. In my time, I have seen plenty of negligent discharges by police officer’s operating pistols with and without thumb safeties.

Every single one of them, was doing something stupid and absent minded when it happened. It’s why they call it a ‘negligent’ discharge. It has been proven over the many decades that idiots with pistols will discharge their firearms ‘negligently’. Even if/when they have a thumb safety.

If you’re not one of these above types of irresponsible idiots? Then you can be confident that you’re safe even without a thumb safety.
But in saying all of this, if a thumb safety makes you feel better? By all means have one. :)

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Just for fun, my Sigs over the decades. The only one still with me is the P230.

family.jpg

Would enjoy finding another P226 though. Never got comfortable with the P225 and the P290RS stung my trigger finger in both .380 and 9mm. Liked the original SigPro P2009 but never loved it.

My concern comes in when those few others who feel this way for themselves, think or want to dictate that logic to me, only because if they think they need it? Then I should be forced to need it too?
I am for the free market.

My wife purchased a pistol without a safety.

Although I have carried it, I would prefer that it had a safety. I have a couple of reasons for my preference.

OkieStubble

I am for the free market.

My wife purchased a pistol without a safety.

Although I have carried it, I would prefer that it had a safety. I have a couple of reasons for my preference.
I’m absolutely positive, that your reasons for your preference of having a thumb safety have been well considered by you and are quite reasonable reasons and makes all the sense in the world.

For you. :)

Excellent post. As a retired LEO, I don’t really see anything in your post to disagree with.

Let’s talk striker fired pistol designs and their internal safeties, or lack thereof; and the varying design differences and what would be the proclivities for AD’s with these different brands.

Glock, Sig, S&W and Springfield, make up the lion’s share of the law enforcement market for duty pistols issued to or purchased individually by most police officers.

If you took a poll amongst police officers who actually have had experience with all these different brands and models of striker fired pistols; and asked them, to list in order which one’s had the best triggers from best to the least, what would they say?

Well, since I am retired LE; and I have experience teaching thousands of police academy cadets in the way of the Glock for a decade out of my LE career. But I also, happen to be a firearm enthusiast, who has personally shot all these differing brands and models quite extensively.

So I will put my personal bias as a Glock fanboy aside and attempt to speak for most police officers who would vote in that poll of which has the best triggers. :)

The poll would most likely go like this in order:

1. Sig P320
2. Springfield XD
3. S&W M&P
4. Glock

Even though Glock is my preferred brand of striker fired pistol, I would find it hard to disagree with the order of this list.

However, if you asked me which I would prefer other than the way the trigger feels? I would easily, flip this list upside down in order. The reasons being have nothing to do with how the trigger feels?

Now, let’s discuss the nomenclature for the trigger designs of these four different brands that most police officers carry today.

Glock: Glock is famous for their ‘safe action system’. Pulling the slide of a Glock pistol to the rear, c0cks the pistol. But when the slide initially allowed to move forward into the resting position, two things happen. 1. The striker spring immediately relaxes and allows the striker pin to lower into a place of ‘half c0ck’ instead of holding it at a fully c0cked position. This takes pressure off of the striker and spring. The pistol is not capable of firing in this half c0cked position.

2. As the slide comes to rest leaving the striker and spring in this half c0cked position, a ‘falling block safety’. Also, drops down into the firing channel between the striker and the primer of the loaded round in the chamber, effectively blocking the striker channel from allowing the striker to unintentionally move or fire if and when a Glock is dropped, hit, bumped etc.

There is no unintentional way to fire a Glock without the trigger being pressed all the way to the rear. When someone wants to intentionally fire a Glock, they have to purposefully pull the trigger to the rear, which simultaneously, pulls the striker spring and striker backwards to a fully cocked position while at the same time, lifting the falling block from the striker channel which unblocks and allows free travel for the striker when the triggers sear is fully released firing the pistol.

The second the round is fired and the trigger is released? The falling block returns back into place and the striker and spring go back to half c0ck.

S&W M&P:

M&P’s internal safety design is very much like Glock’s. They also have an internal falling block, same as Glock; but instead of their striker and spring resting at half c0ck like the Glock, they designed their striker and spring to rest at a 3/4 c0ck. Still, like Glock, the trigger needs to be finished pulling to the rear.

This is why so many, think S&W’s trigger, is perceived to be better then Glock’s as the tension and creep of 3/4 cocked, feels better than the tension of a half c0cked pistol.

In this same thought; why is Sig Sauer’s P320, have such a great trigger? Is it because, instead of the semi/ quasi double action pulls of Glock’s and M&P’s using the trigger to finish c0cking the gun, Sig instead leaves their strikers in a full c0cked single action mode? You bet your *** they do.

Sig P320: the P320 is completely different in design compared to the proven safety design of Glock and S&W. They leave their striker in a fully c0cked, single action mode with no internal falling block in the striker channel as the previous two. However, this doesn’t mean it’s bad? Nothing wrong with innovation? :)

While I could attempt to make this post even more TL;DR, I will post this link to read instead, which is very interesting and insightful to the differences from the others and also the current talk about this Sig issue of AD’s.

Springfield: Like the Sig P320, the Springfield XD and XDM are both fully c0cked single action designs. They also do not have to c0ck the striker and spring by finishing to pull the trigger. Their pistol stays fully c0cked and their striker and spring are held in place until the users hand wraps around and depresses the external grip safety which is located on the back of the XD’s grip, much like a 1911.

I have personally been very critical of Springfield’s Croatian design, because there Isn’t a falling block in the striker channel for the trigger to raise out of the way, someone new to this pistol or firearms in general, once they grip the gun and deactivate the safety just by holding it? I don’t think that’s good personally. Lots of reasons while some one would hold a pistol before intending to fire it? If I am holding a Glock or M&P, I am holding pistols that 1. Aren’t fully c0cked. 2. Aren’t ready to fire unless the trigger finishes c0cking the pistol and 3. There is a falling block in the striker channel blocking an mechanical failure of the hall c0cked striker.

The XD and XDM has none of that? You grip an XD regardless if you are ready to fire or not; and that pistol and striker is fully ready to go, with the grip safety depressed just because you are holding it? If that fully c0cked striker spring mechanism fails? There is no falling block to catch that striker if it’s dropped or that single action trigger barely gets nudged.

So these are the reasons why people complain about why Glock triggers are not as good as other striker brands. But you what! Glock triggers are safer than other brands? And who needs a competition crisp feeling trigger on a combat polymer striker pistol at simple combat ranges?

Give me Durability, reliability and safety instead. :)
OkieStubble,

The SIG P320 does not leave the striker fully-cocked when racking the side to chamber a round. One function of the SIG P320 trigger is fulling cocking the striker. The other functions of pulling the trigger are disabling the SIG safety features in a specific sequence.

I have no idea what Springfield Armory does, but SIG does not have a fully-cocked striker assembly.

Curly out

OkieStubble

OkieStubble,

The SIG P320 does not leave the striker fully-cocked when racking the side to chamber a round. One function of the SIG P320 trigger is fulling cocking the striker. The other functions of pulling the trigger are disabling the SIG safety features in a specific sequence.

I have no idea what Springfield Armory does, but SIG does not have a fully-cocked striker assembly.

Curly out

I would appreciate some more detail in the Sig 320’s trigger safeties and in exactly how they work and operate? If you can provide some added links that would be helpful and appreciated also.

I am never too old to learn something new or change something I thought I knew, but really didn’t. :)

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I would appreciate some more detail in the Sig 320’s trigger safeties and in exactly how they work and operate? If you can provide some added links that would be helpful and appreciated also.

I am never too old to learn something new or change something I thought I knew, but really didn’t. :)
Try this video.

OkieStubble

Great video!

This video explains and shows something I have known for a while about some of the other popular brands of Stryker fired pistols.

I think and have always stated Sig Sauer’s striker design is safe and is good to go as a popular, striker fired combat pistol. You won’t find a post of mine disparaging the Sig 320 line of pistol’s.

However, your video also explains and shows very well, why many will say that the S&W M&P trigger is better than a Glock and a Sig P320 trigger is better than both, a M&P and a Glock.

All three brands trigger mechanisms are designed to have the trigger pulled to the rear, to finish cocking their pistol’s striker, lowering their brand’s safety engagement block, tripping their sear and firing their pistol.

Glock, being one of the first, to do it successfully on a wide scale, has a half cocked striker design. The trigger is pulled to the rear and the longer distance of the striker travel and striker spring compression, makes for a perceived longer and mushier travel, which many or most who have ever fired a Glock will either have noticed and not cared, because it’s simply just a combat pistol and can still be learned to shoot well in combat ranges with combat accuracy.

S&W M&P comes along a couple of decades later, and thinks to themselves? We should capitalize on all of the negative things shooters say about the Glock trigger. Let’s create the M&P to have only a 3/4 cocked striker so less distance of travel to **** the striker equals less time for mushiness before the sear breaks, equals into a better perception of a smoother trigger for the shooter?

And sure enough, if you asked the average Joe shooter which trigger ‘feels better’. Most would say the M&P. Hell, I would say; “the M&P”. :)

Sig Sauer comes along 30 years later, and says; let’s finally jump into this game now that we have a 30 year advantage in time, technology and improved modern engineering and design and let’s build a better striker designed mouse trap then Glock did 40 years ago.

If you ask me? A team Glock guy? What I think about the Sig Sauer P320 line of striker fired pistol? I think their modern trigger and firing mechanism design is very innovative and different than both Glock and S&W’s M&P.

And it allows their striker fired trigger ‘to feel’ much better, with a smoother and cleaner travel and break then the other two brands much older and similar designs.

However, they still only have succeeded in successfully making the distance of the trigger action and striker traveling rearward to **** the pistol and trip the sear before firing? Very, very; and again I’ll say; very short?

Some will say; that’s great! That extremely short rearward travel before firing, makes the Sig trigger feel like a single action and it blows away the competition!

But others would say, is that super short cocking and firing action making it unsafe? Is it making it, accidental discharge prone? Some are even showing videos of it going off by itself still in their holsters? Many will say it isn’t safe and the documented cases are starting to grow in number?

If you ask me? I would say; I don’t know? I’m a Glock guy and don’t have a dog in this fight. Or do I…? ;)

Last edited:

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Great video!
This video explains and shows something I have known for a while about some of the other popular brands of Stryker fired pistols.

I think and have always stated Sig Sauer’s striker design is safe and is good to go as a popular, striker fired combat pistol. You won’t find a post of mine disparaging the Sig 320 line of pistol’s.

However, your video also explains and shows very well, why many will say that the S&W M&P trigger is better than a Glock and a Sig P320 trigger is better than both, a M&P and a Glock.

All three brands trigger mechanisms are designed to have the trigger pulled to the rear, to finish cocking their pistol’s striker, lowering their brand’s safety engagement block, tripping their sear and firing their pistol.

Glock, being one of the first, to do it successfully on a wide scale, has a half cocked striker design. The trigger is pulled to the rear and the longer distance of the striker travel and striker spring compression, makes for a perceived longer and mushier travel, which many or most who have ever fired a Glock will either have noticed and not cared, because it’s simply just a combat pistol and can still be learned to shoot well in combat ranges with combat accuracy.

S&W M&P comes along a couple of decades later, and thinks to themselves? We should capitalize on all of the negative things shooters say about the Glock trigger. Let’s create the M&P to have only a 3/4 cocked striker so less distance of travel to **** the striker equals less time for mushiness before the sear breaks, equals into a better perception of a smoother trigger for the shooter?

And sure enough, if you asked the average Joe shooter which trigger ‘feels better’. Most would say the M&P. Hell, I would say; “the M&P”. :)

Sig Sauer comes along 30 years later, and says; let’s finally jump into this game now that we have a 30 year advantage in time, technology and improved modern engineering and design and let’s build a better striker designed mouse trap then Glock did 40 years ago.

If you ask me? A team Glock guy? What I think about the Sig Sauer P320 line of striker fired pistol? I think their modern trigger and firing mechanism design is very innovative and different than both Glock and S&W’s M&P.

And it allows their striker fired trigger ‘to feel’ much better, with a smoother and cleaner travel and break then the other two brands much older and similar designs.

However, they still only have succeeded in successfully making the distance of the trigger action and striker traveling rearward to **** the pistol and trip the sear before firing? Very, very; and again I’ll say; very short?

Some will say; that’s great! That extremely short rearward travel before firing, makes the Sig trigger feel like a single action and it blows away the competition!

But others would say, is that super short cocking and firing action making it unsafe? Is it making it, accidental discharge prone? Some are even showing videos of it going off by itself still in their holsters? Many will say it isn’t safe and the documented cases are starting to grow in number?

If you ask me? I would say; I don’t know? I’m a Glock guy and don’t have a dog in this fight. Or do I…? ;)

Okay.

Wandering far afield once again and into personal OpinionLand.

When it comes to civilian (excluding military and law enforcement) self defense firearms I am more comfortable with a heavier initial trigger pull and a longer stroke in both initial and reset.

I have always been amazed at the things I've done when under extreme stress; sometimes frightened by them and sometimes awed. I was the kid that wasn't Steve Austin. They built me BetterWorse than I was before BetterWorse, StrongerWeaker, FasterSlower. I was smaller than everyone else, slower, weaker, asthmatic, clumsy, uncoordinated and the one left over after they picked sides.

But when under real stress, while fighting a fire (volunteer) or at an accident scene (still just volunteer) or as an instructor teaching older volunteer folk at fire training exercises there were occasions when I did stuff I would have known were impossible. During several rather scary natural disasters (wild fire, hurricanes, flooding events) I went through I noticed similar instances where I did stuff I just would not have thought I was capable of doing.

I'm more concerned in an self defense situation about the shot I didn't intend to take than those shots I intend to take; in only taking the shots I know I can make and not the shots I think I can make.

Coming back to triggers I must admit I am far more comfortable with conventional hammer fired revolvers and pistols that are DA/SA and SA pistols that also have a manual safety; things that might keep me from making unintended shots. In striker fired handguns again I'm more comfortable with those than have a manual safety or a longer, heavier DA/SA action than the ones with a soft, smooth trigger.

Some of my Walthers might help illustrate. My SW99 (S&W Walther P99) and Walther PPS are both 9mm striker fired pistols but the SW99 has the capability of decocking the striker to a longer, heavier first shot while the PPS is a light crisp trigger. When I carry the PPS I am extra careful in reholstering, making sure my thumb is over the striker indicator to make sure I don't feel the striker moving to full **** when holstering. What I find is that the PPS tends to get far less WalkAbout time than I expected.

Great video!

OkieStubble,

The mainstream media has misrepresented each of the “negligent discharge” cases without issuing a retraction upon the findings during each of the completed court cases. Here is the official statement from SIG Sauer using the facts of these cases:

“We understand that you may have questions regarding the P320 litigation. Below are answers:
• This litigation claims a P320 can “go off by itself” and is consistently hyped-up by the anti-gun media
with an agenda to create doubts about safety, impact our 2nd Amendment rights, and to impact our
respective livelihoods.
• This litigation is a series predatory lawsuits by a group of lawyers attempting to coerce a payday.
• The P320 has one of the most advanced safety systems in the industry and SIG SAUER stands by
the safety of the P320 platform (P320 Safety video: 5 Steps Required to Fire a P320)
• We will continue to fight these lawsuits.
Some facts about this litigation as a reference tool for you:
• No plaintiff’s “expert” has ever been able to show how a P320 could discharge without a trigger pull
AND no plaintiffs “experts” have even been able to offer a theory as to how this can happen.
• Claims that the P320 is capable of firing without a trigger pull have been dismissed by eleven – yes
11 - separate federal district courts, including a decision by a unanimous 12-person jury.
• As designed, the P320 cannot discharge without a trigger pull.
• SIG SAUER is extremely proud of our outstanding safety record and quality firearms.”

Hope this clears it up!

Most Respectfully,

Curly

OkieStubble

OkieStubble,

The mainstream media has misrepresented each of the “negligent discharge” cases without issuing a retraction upon the findings during each of the completed court cases. Here is the official statement from SIG Sauer using the facts of these cases:

“We understand that you may have questions regarding the P320 litigation. Below are answers:
• This litigation claims a P320 can “go off by itself” and is consistently hyped-up by the anti-gun media
with an agenda to create doubts about safety, impact our 2nd Amendment rights, and to impact our
respective livelihoods.
• This litigation is a series predatory lawsuits by a group of lawyers attempting to coerce a payday.
• The P320 has one of the most advanced safety systems in the industry and SIG SAUER stands by
the safety of the P320 platform (P320 Safety video: 5 Steps Required to Fire a P320)
• We will continue to fight these lawsuits.
Some facts about this litigation as a reference tool for you:
• No plaintiff’s “expert” has ever been able to show how a P320 could discharge without a trigger pull
AND no plaintiffs “experts” have even been able to offer a theory as to how this can happen.
• Claims that the P320 is capable of firing without a trigger pull have been dismissed by eleven – yes
11 - separate federal district courts, including a decision by a unanimous 12-person jury.
• As designed, the P320 cannot discharge without a trigger pull.
• SIG SAUER is extremely proud of our outstanding safety record and quality firearms.”

Hope this clears it up!

Most Respectfully,

Curly

I actually already knew all of this, just by being an enthusiast and shooting quite a few different models of the Sigs P320 and X models, including the P365 and P320X I previously owned and put a few thousands rounds thru before I sold them.

And I didn't sell them because they were bad, I sold them because I preferred Glock. And not because Glock is better, just different. I'm just a Glock guy to the bone. :)

But all gun enthusiasts should unite, because if they can get Sig to fall, my Glocks will be next and @jar_ 's Double action hammer fired's after that. If we don't stand together, we shall surely fall together. :)

Last edited:
I had two SIG

And I didn't sell them because they were bad, I sold them because I preferred Glock. And not because Glock is better, just different. I'm just a Glock guy to the bone. :)

Off topic:

I had a beautiful P220 Stainless and a P365XL Romeo Zero. The Only two SIG pistols I have even owned. Beautiful guns, especially the P220 but I did not get in love with them and eventually I gave them away. I still have few Glocks though and I really enjoy shooting them (even if the large majority of my pistols are Beretta ... :thumbup: ). I carried a G19 for sometime (and yes I had a twin G19 for practice.... :D), and most of the times I go hunting or fishing I carry a G21.

My wife still has her P238 but she uses it only from time to time at the range, I personally think it is the best 380 I have ever shot, unbelievably accurate and precise.
My older son has a 1911-22-B. Not sure if it was actually made by SIG but it is the pistol with hardest trigger I haver ever used. Disassembling it and cleaning it is a fun task. He never uses it.

Top Bottom