What's new

Am I Alone.

I've had too many great shaves without it to claim that it is a necessary part of a shave routine.... but I can understand why guys like it and use it as well. One of the biggest downsides to it for me has always been that it can tend to clog the razor.

Ben

I tried it out for some time and ended up getting rid of it from my daily routine. My logic went something as follows,

I work in a machine shop often, when on a lathe or a mill cutting oil is a must. Maybe preshave oil is like cutting oil....
Try it out....
Convinced initially...
Start to question it....
Stop using it every day....
Stop using it all together....
Bring it to the shop when I run out of cutting oil...

Regards
Dave

I tried broccoli once. Didn't like it. Therefore, it's a useless waste of money. And anyone with a phd in food science who says it's good for you is definitely wrong, since phd's, unlike non-phd's, are occasionally wrong about things.

I'm just sayin'.
So you didn't like how broccoli tastes, and that's proof that countless studies by oh so many silly PhDs are wrong?:blink:
You are kidding right? Perhaps I just don't get your sense of humor.

I don't like pre-shaves because they don't do anything for me. Regardless of how well they feel or smell. Haven't try tasting them... Again, the best preshave to me is a good aftershave that helps heal my skin and get ready for the next shave.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by cottontop You can sell anything if you market it right.
ct+1
So what exactly is the implication here? that those who use a preshave oil are just imagining the benefits and enjoyment they say they're getting, and are really just a bunch of simpletons who were suckered by clever marketing?

proxy.php

Excelent device. Time to recalibrate my sarcasm detection algorithms.

So what exactly is the implication here? that those who use a preshave oil are just imagining the benefits and enjoyment they say they're getting, and are really just a bunch of simpletons who were suckered by clever marketing?
The way I read it is that us simpletons can be easily suckered into buying things we like, not things we need.

I tried broccoli once. Didn't like it. Therefore, it's a useless waste of money. And anyone with a phd in food science who says it's good for you is definitely wrong, since phd's, unlike non-phd's, are occasionally wrong about things.

I'm just sayin'.

So, I guess asparagus is completely out of the question for you.

There are scientific studies that say the Earth is warming that are done by the same types of scientists who said we'd be buried under glaciers by now.
I know someone that got a PhD in Meteorology and mentioned that most of those claiming Global Warming do so for funding because otherwise they can't get funding, some will go so far as to do that to get the funding and once funds are secured change their view. Sadly it all comes down to $$$ and not science. I would say every field has such splits where there are the different camps that will look at a specific set of data (often out of context to prove their point) and claim it supports their view. However, this should not discredit all PhD's as many will probably stay away from the controversial issues if they can.

I just want to clarify something: I never said I didn't like pre-shave oil. I've never tried it. I said I didn't understand the point of it. And I meant that; I've seen multiple explanations for what it does, and all of them are meant to address issues already addressed by other parts of the wet shaving experience. Either it helps hydrate the hair (which a hot shower and face wash will do), or it helps the razor to glide across your skin (which a good lather will do). In either case, it seems redundant, and I'm curious what it is about it people who use it like.

As for all the PhD stuff, I know several PhDs, and they are all very intelligent people. I never question their authority when it comes to the subject of their degree. On anything else? Their opinions mean as much as everyone else's.

The point is some people find it helps them get a smoother, less irritating shave. Shouldn't that be enough?

But if you are looking for more, I can tell you why I think it helps my shaves. First of all, while my skin is thoroughly hydrated once I have soaked it with water, that moisture starts to leave the face immediately once the water stops hitting the face. The oil helps keep the hydration in the skin (as you use the oil AFTER your face is fully hydrated). Oil is not a replacement for hydration, it is an enhancer.

The preshave oil also offers an extra layer of protection and slickness (some more than others). And, I've been told it helps to keep the whiskers lifted, which can help the closeness of the shave and help those prone to ingrown hairs. As a guy who always suffered from ingrown hairs until I started using preshave oil, I can say there might be something to that explanation.

There is another possible explanation I haven't heard espoused before. My skin can be sensitive to certain products. I find when I have a layer of preshave oil on first, I have very few issues with various lather products. Could that oil serve as a bit of a protectant from the ingredients to which my face is sensitive?

As to why some find preshave oil very helpful while others find it useless or even detrimental, I respond, with:

Some find one shaving lather exceptional while others can't tolerate it---even though they all do essentially the same thing.

Some find glycerin soaps inadequate and insist on tallow soaps.

Some have no problem lathering products in hard/hot water, others struggle.

Some find making super, and uber, lathers improves their performance. Others find this useless--even stupid apparently.

The way our hair grows, the toughness of our skin, whether our skin is dry or oily, how we prep our face, the products we choose, the blades and razors we use, all play a part in why one thing works for someone and not someone else.

While I know you didn't suggest using preshave oil isn't important for some, I will use this response to address those who do. Try not to say "you don't need" in any advice and try replacing it with "I don't need" or "In my experience it hasn't been beneficial".

YMMV always. Your experience is your own.

OK, off my soapbox.

BTW, love your sig, S-Tuba. Gotta love Zappa. YMMV.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
...in not really getting the point pre-shave oil? I know it's supposed to help hydrate the skin and hair, but so does a shower, and that's something I do every morning, anyway. No disrespect to those who use and enjoy it, but it seems like a needless step and expense, to me. Anyone else feel the same way?

Yes, and I'll add that some oils are actually drying to the skin. I dabbled with PSO a couple of years ago when I started DE shaving but found that there was no benefit. Waste if time & money, for me.

No doubt there is junk science out there. But, aside form deliberate deception on the part of dishonest folks selling their "research", there is bunch of these folks who are simply self-impressed morons. I worked with a guy who was getting his PhD and his thesis was on "suicide by cop". Well, wouldn't you know it, I end up with a guy begging me to shoot him as he is slashing himself with a knife in each hand (no, I didn't have to shoot him). Do you think this PhD candidate interviewed me? I saw him dozens of times after the incident and he never once discussed it with me because he was a "house mouse", a cop who never worked the road. He didn't want to talk to someone who was involved in something that he could only do a "study" on. Now he introduces himself as "Doctor" to everyone! What a load! He has a PhD in bull manure and a long list of credentials from John Jay College (prestigious). 30 years as a cop and he never did a darn thing outside of the building, but he is considered an "expert" by those who never worked with him.

So, in my case, we have an expert with a PhD, and we have a person with practical experience who secured an armed, suicidal, suspect who had just stabbed his girlfriend so hard the knife broke off inside of her. Which one has more "expertise"?

As I said sadly there are some PhDs out there that only used what supported their preconceived beliefs before embarking on their journey. This is not however all PhDs, with your example you know the integrity of this person and from what it reads he was looking at the Doctorate degree more as a prestigious title than anything else. I believe there are PhDs out there that went for their degree more to provide a betterment in their field than the use of the title "Doctor."

I know some people with PhDs that the only way you would know is if you saw their business card or spent a lot of time with them where it would eventually come up in conversation (naturally not forced like "you know I have a PhD from such and such University..."). I will agree that at times it can be hard to tell how much trust to put into a PhD when all you know about a person is that they have a PhD and you have no dealings with them beyond seeing an article or paper that was written by them. I will say that it is not just PhD candidates that have this issue of people looking for an impressive label to make them look special; the IT world has similar with all the certificates, many of which require no experience but being able to pass a couple of multiple choice tests, and sometimes it is the certificate that gets looked at over experience (I actually was asked to bring my certificate in for an interview because being A+ certified was required, regardless if I had been doing the same job for 1 year or 10 years someplace else. If I wasn't certified, and a BS in Computer Science didn't count, I would not be eligible for the position). This is why I don't have much love for the IT industry, uncertified with experience gets overlooked for those with a certification and no experience just because of a piece of paper.

But like one of the other posters mentioned lets stop beating the dead horse of whether one can trust a PhD and get back to the topic of pre-shave oils.

... and poetry I like good poetry.

Last edited:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Soap emulsifies oil. For me hydrating (getting my face wet for a couple of minutes) and then rubbing a few drops of oil onto my face and then shaving works well. I prefer soap lather though.

The point is some people find it helps them get a smoother, less irritating shave. Shouldn't that be enough?

But if you are looking for more, I can tell you why I think it helps my shaves. First of all, while my skin is thoroughly hydrated once I have soaked it with water, that moisture starts to leave the face immediately once the water stops hitting the face. The oil helps keep the hydration in the skin (as you use the oil AFTER your face is fully hydrated). Oil is not a replacement for hydration, it is an enhancer.

The preshave oil also offers an extra layer of protection and slickness (some more than others). And, I've been told it helps to keep the whiskers lifted, which can help the closeness of the shave and help those prone to ingrown hairs. As a guy who always suffered from ingrown hairs until I started using preshave oil, I can say there might be something to that explanation.

There is another possible explanation I haven't heard espoused before. My skin can be sensitive to certain products. I find when I have a layer of preshave oil on first, I have very few issues with various lather products. Could that oil serve as a bit of a protectant from the ingredients to which my face is sensitive?

As to why some find preshave oil very helpful while others find it useless or even detrimental, I respond, with:

Some find one shaving lather exceptional while others can't tolerate it---even though they all do essentially the same thing.

Some find glycerin soaps inadequate and insist on tallow soaps.

Some have no problem lathering products in hard/hot water, others struggle.

Some find making super, and uber, lathers improves their performance. Others find this useless--even stupid apparently.

The way our hair grows, the toughness of our skin, whether our skin is dry or oily, how we prep our face, the products we choose, the blades and razors we use, all play a part in why one thing works for someone and not someone else.

While I know you didn't suggest using preshave oil isn't important for some, I will use this response to address those who do. Try not to say "you don't need" in any advice and try replacing it with "I don't need" or "In my experience it hasn't been beneficial".

YMMV always. Your experience is your own.

OK, off my soapbox.

BTW, love your sig, S-Tuba. Gotta love Zappa. YMMV.

Excellent answer. I am quite happy with my shaves as they are, so I don't see myself using it, but at least now I ave a response from someone who does, that gives a good explaination why. Thank you!

and, everyone needs more FZ in their lives. :)

TBH I didn't read the whole thread, sorry if I'm redundant.

When you make soap, you mix oil with water and lye, right? Now if you put more lye than oil you end up with a caustic, drying soap. Most manufacturers add more oil than lye to make soap that still has some oil in it. This makes sure that all of the lye (drain cleaner) is turned into safe soap, and that there is some oil left to lubricate an moisturize the skin. In a decent shave soap there will be plenty of leftover oil in the soap making process and probably some other ingredients for slickness and cushion and scent. Putting on oil would be redundant with a quality soap and probably clog pores and coat the brush.

Most people won't need it, but if your soap isn't working for any number of reasons (water too hard/soft, water ph, soap ph, lather technique, etc...) then a preshave oil will provide extra slickness and oil for your skin while creating a barrier from caustic chemicals which might be in your soap.

If you like it, use it. If you don't... Don't. YMMV.

Last edited:
Top Bottom