What's new

Am I Alone.

I use Glycerin as my "shave oil" at the start before my lather and sometimes second or third pass because of my sensitive skin. It just improves the quality a lot for me. If you don't have sensitive skin and don't notice a difference it sure is pointless then.

I've used Proraso Pre/Post shave cream since I started shaving. I don't think it provides a much closer shave when I use proper prep, but it helps if I can't get a shower right before my shave. Plus I think it helps keep irritation down and adds some slickness.

It is one of those things that some find useful and some don't. I happen to use it on my ATG pass particularly on my neck. The science behind it can be found in a study by Dr. Diana Howard, who has a PhD degree in biochemistry. You can read her article here. Her comments are as follows and deal with folks who have heavy beards:

"Ideally, use a pre-shaving medium that is applied underneath a shaving cream that softens and lifts the beard while protecting the skin. It should provide a cushion between the razor and the skin. The mere application and massaging of a pre-shave medium onto the beard will help lift the beard hairs.

Look for pre-shaving or shaving products that include:

• Camphor: a natural antiseptic that helps firm skin to lift the beard.
• Clove Flower Oil: helps open the pores while softening the beard to prevent scraping and tugging of the hair.
• Glycerin and Sodium Hyaluronate: add additional lubricity and hydration during shaving.
• Wheat Germ Extract and Yeast Extract: combat irritation and redness while reinforcing the barrier lipid layer."

I have never had a problem with oil preventing hydration.

My one comment for anyone who thinks pre-shave oil is a waste, etc., show me a scientific study to back up what you say.

What I find interesting is the number of statements made by folks - particularly those who have never used the product - that it clogs the razor, ruins the brush, etc. I have been using pre-shave oil and have never had a problem with my razor or brushes. It may not work for you but it helps me around my neck area.

Nope, used it once and didn't like it. I use Mike's shave stick and have found that I don't need any pre-shave lotion either when I face lather. If I don't then I'll use Proraso Pre/Post cream.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Are any of those things in pre-shave oil? She uses the term "medium", not "oil". And, PhD's get stuff wrong all the time.
Proraso pre/post has glycerin in it. not sure about oils.

I'd also be more willing to take the word of a PhD grad over anyone else.

Not alone at all. I've never seen the need for a pre-shave product. As for me just doing a good prep has been all I've ever needed. Please don't think I'm down on those who use one, because I'm not. If that works for you then be all means continue to use it.

Im not sold on the idea either. Why have a pre lather product thats applied before the lather. Im sure the creaters of the different quality shave creams and soaps would utalise the best ingredients available to make the lather do its job, if that make sense?

But i have nothing against people that enjoy adding another step to their shaving routine, im sure we all do things other people believe isnt needed but if it adds to ones experience and enjoyment then more power to ya.

Hell ive traveled all across Australia in a very rough old vehicle older then i am, going slower then the tour de france guys can ride a bike. Most people thinks thats insane but i couldnt imagine the point of traveling fast with the windows up, a/c on, stereo blasting in luxury... Might as well just stay home and watch the telly in the lounge chair.

Travis.

...in not really getting the point pre-shave oil? I know it's supposed to help hydrate the skin and hair, but so does a shower, and that's something I do every morning, anyway. No disrespect to those who use and enjoy it, but it seems like a needless step and expense, to me. Anyone else feel the same way?

That's the way I feel as it pertains to me, but there are a whole lot of faces and a whole lot of skin conditions out there. Another thing to consider is that it might help to do something different on a temporary basis, such as after an injury or acne.

What I will say is that the more experienced I got in retro-shaving, the more streamlined I became. I'm a straight razor shaver and I used scuttles, microwaved hot water, electric kettles (my hot water heater is on a low setting because I live in a warm climate). I read pp. 50-52 in Shaving Made Easy (see my signature link) and found out that cold water shaving is the way you're supposed to do it. That sounded nuts to me, I tried it, and it worked. But it was still another year before I switched. What I like about streamlining my routine is that it saved time. On a rushed morning I didn't have time to shave the way I wanted to, now I do.

i believe in pre-shave oils/gels, especially for new shavers
it can help out while new skills develop
they helped me stick with DE shaving
when i began DE shaving, i had major razor burn from poor skills across the board
angle, pressure, unaware of grain growth, making a good lather, blades that didn't like me....
being too stubborn to give up, i tried some oils then gels
they helped some
tried others
the best i came across was a RazoRock Shave Gel
it blew away the others i tried before it
i was able to go 4 passes with minor irritation, up from 3 with problems overnight
it rinsed off my face easily with just water
stubble didn't stick to the walls of my sink
i let 3 other new DE shavers at work try it and all 3 had similar experiences and bought bottles for themselves [actually the last one kept my bottle]
don't know if there are any better pre-shave products since i stopped needing it after my skills and croap choices improved and don't use one anymore
the only negative for the razorock was it separated after a few months needing shaking to blend it back to normal before applying
B&B had a big hand in improving my skills and making me aware of cream/soap choices and how to lather them
sadly this has caused some RAD, SCAD, SSAD, SBAD and hundreds of different blades
at least i know what works for me now and everything i try now is just is for a different feel or scent

Last edited:
When I first started DE shaving, I used it every shave and it seemed to help. As my technique, both shaving and lathering, has gotten better, I haven't felt the need to use it. I probably could use it, and may revisit it at some point, but for now I'm happy with my soaps and creams as is.

The only time I have used any kind of pre shave (williams lectric) was when using an electric razor and that was because if I did not I would break out from the irritation, using the williams I did not. Using lather I do not want oil on my face first. To each his own though.

i believe in pre-shave oils/gels, especially for new shavers
it can help out while new skills develop
they helped me stick with DE shaving
when i began DE shaving, i had major razor burn from poor skills across the board
angle, pressure, unaware of grain growth, making a good lather, blades that didn't like me....
being too stubborn to give up, i tried some oils then gels
they helped some
tried others
the best i came across was a RazoRock Shave Gel
it blew away the others i tried before it
i was able to go 4 passes with minor irritation, up from 3 with problems overnight
it rinsed off my face easily with just water
stubble didn't stick to the walls of my sink
i let 3 other new DE shavers at work try it and all 3 had similar experiences and bought bottles for themselves [actually the last one kept my bottle]
don't know if there are any better pre-shave products since i stopped needing it after my skills and croap choices improved and don't use one anymore
the only negative for the razorock was it separated after a few months needing shaking to blend it back to normal before applying
B&B had a big hand in improving my skills and making me aware of cream/soap choices and how to lather them
sadly this has caused some RAD, SCAD, SSAD, SBAD and hundreds of different blades
at least i know what works for me now and everything i try now is just is for a different feel or scent

Icarium wins the thread for composing his answer in the form of a poem.

Are any of those things in pre-shave oil? She uses the term "medium", not "oil". And, PhD's get stuff wrong all the time.

I would rather rely on my argument on a scientist having a PhD degree than an individual who bases his or her opinion on what works for him or her without considering other factors or without performing a scientific study. It reminds me of comments made by some new DE shavers that certain blades, soaps, or creams don't work for them so therefore they are useless for everyone.

I don't believe you read the entire study by Dr. Howard. She also recommends the application of Vitamin E, Jojoba oil, soybean oil, and other such products to guard against razor burn. The pre-shave oil I use has Vitamin E, jojoba oil, and glycerin.

I wonder what you think the word medium means in her study. One of the definitions of the word medium in science is a liquid mixed with pigments to provide smoothness.

What do you think the word medium means? One of the definitions of the word medium in science is a liquid mixed with pigments to provide smoothness. Wheat germ extract is usually applied to a person's skin in oil form and is used to for numerous skin conditions. Sodium Hyaluronate is a moisturizer that is used in many skin products.

One of the things I have realized is that pre-shave oil or pre-shave products may not be necessary for everyone. However, if it does not work for you does not mean it doesn't work for others. It's funny that some folks say pre-shave oil doesn't work but then go ahead and use Proraso pre shave cream as part of their preparation.

If your beard is not tough and/or your skin is not sensitive, then it probably will not help you. But in my case I have a tough beard - my wife calls is a porcupine beard. However, my neck is blessed with sensitive skin together with a tough beard. So, for me it helps. If I have to shave twice a day as when I have an evening engagement if I don't use pre-shave oil on my neck the result is irritation.

So, in brief, it may not work for you but don't take the illogical step of saying that if it doesn't work for you it can't work for someone else.

... Shave secret is so cheap and available I just keep it around.

+1

Aside from cost and aroma I can't tell the difference between it and the high priced items.

I do use it most days, not to hydrate - since that's not what it does - but as a skin lubricant just before lathering. If Shave Secret went away leaving only high priced alternatives I would forget it.

You're not alone, tried it and don't like it with my Str8s, but found one I like (3P) that I will use with new to me DEs gives me a little added protection, God know I've nicked myself up enough for one lifetime:001_tt2: after I get the feel of the new DE then I rely on the protection of the shave soap.

Why would I read her study, because she has a PhD? Please, the world is full of PhD's that can't predict the weather, or even tell us what the current temperature is. I'm learning more watching F-Troop right now than I would reading about jojoba oil, whatever the heck that is.

Because it's a more scientific study than "Joe says it works!" Maybe by reading it, people could formulate a more educated opinion on what to try or what may work for them. Isn't that why we're all here? To get more educated about shaving and shave products?

Top Bottom