What's new

Am I Alone.

Just for reference:

I believe the article When Razor Meets Skin: A Scientific Approach To Shaving originally appeared in the cosmetics trade industry magazine Dermascope, May 2008. The article's been copied in condensed versions in several places. It's not the result of any particular scientific study. I can only find mention of two surveys in the original article, and there are no citations whatsoever. One is a survey of shavers by the International Dermal Institute that lists the top three problems that men have from shaving. The other is a "study by the Fox Chase Cancer Centre led by Elliot Coup concluded that men are less sun savvy than women and that they exhibit multiple high risk behaviors for getting skin cancer; namely, they do not use sunscreens" and Cancer Research UK found the same results.

Her bio from a blurb in the original article:
Diana Howard Ph.D. has been in the cosmetic industry for 23 years. She earned her doctorate degree from The University of California Los Angeles where she specialized in plant biochemistry. Since then she has worked in research and development, as well as marketing for many of the major cosmetic companies. In addition, Howard was General Manager of the Leonard Drake Skin Care Centers where she developed the protocol required for opening and operating a successful skin care center. Howard has lectured extensively around the world sharing her knowledge of hair and skin research, ingredient technology, and business skills for achieving one’s full business potential in the skin and spa industry. She is currently Vice President of Technical Development for The International Dermal Institute and Dermalogica.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
This thread now reminds me of that commercial where the doctors are operating on someone:

"i don't know Steve...That looks like a healthy spleen to me"

"I only said I thought it was the spleen.....oh, like you didn't think it was the spleen too!"

:lol::lol:

Last edited:
My only interest here is to document things accurately for those who care.

I've ctiticized some of the best research, and I've been a fan of published research by Gillette and P&G. I actually have a lot of respect for P&G's research, including their recent shaving research. The difficulty of any "industrial science" is a problem for society which noone recognizes more than the folks doing it. That's why I started off the Science of Shaving wiki page with those two items.

I expect most folks here won't care, and that's as it should be. B&B's big enough for nerds, collectors, and gentlemen, and is the better for the diversity. After all, YMMV!

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
My only interest here is to document things accurately for those who care.

I've ctiticized some of the best research, and I've been a fan of published research by Gillette and P&G. I actually have a lot of respect for P&G's research, including their recent shaving research. The difficulty of any "industrial science" is a problem for society which noone recognizes more than the folks doing it. That's why I started off the Science of Shaving wiki page with those two items.

I expect most folks here won't care, and that's as it should be. B&B's big enough for nerds, collectors, and gentlemen, and is the better for the diversity. After all, YMMV!
No disrespect to you Steve. With all the PhD talk it just reminded me of the commercial. I actually think the guy was called Steve in the commercial too.

None taken. I happend to have downloaded the original article from when it was still available, and have seen some very poorly edited versions since then. Just wanted to clear up the context.

Dermascope is a magazine for skin care professionals, not a serious cosmetics science magazine like Cosmetiscope or some of the other journals. It's targetted to beauticians, not dermatologists or even barbers.

Last edited:
...in not really getting the point pre-shave oil? I know it's supposed to help hydrate the skin and hair, but so does a shower, and that's something I do every morning, anyway. No disrespect to those who use and enjoy it, but it seems like a needless step and expense, to me. Anyone else feel the same way?

As you can tell from the replies you are not alone in not seeing the need for preshave oil---for you that is. It makes all the difference in the world to my shaves---and I shave in the shower.

YMMV is so true here. Don't think you need something just because others use it. And certainly do NOT assume that if something isn't important for your shave, it isn't important for the shaves of others.

Last edited:
For whatever reason, I have a mental block and have to shave before showering, so I used a pre-shave oil. That said, I'm using it less and less since I'm tired of the residue left behind in the sink, and I've noticed little difference, if any, after the first pass.

Last edited:
I never liked pre-shave oils or lotions. I read somewhere that it takes your skin something like 40 minutes or so to fully absorb whatever you put in your face. Perhaps an oil can provide protection or affect the hair in someway but I didn't notice a clear advantage.
What I truly believe is that the best shaving prep is a good after-shave lotion to help repair the skin and perhaps also a good night cream. If people start calling you a girly-man for using a night cream, just tell them you are using an extended pre-shaving lotion that needs to be applied 8 hours in advance.:001_smile

It does seem to help a bit with that tough spot on the right side of my neck. Once I improved my technique though it didn't seem to matter and actually always seemed to make the shave on the rest of my face worse. Of course I HAD to try 3 different shave oils to realize this.

I think it is kind of pointless. I lather up, wait a minute or two while it soaks in, re-lather just to get it nice and wet, and shave!

Had the salesguy at my AOS store not insisted I'd never have bought the stuff. I've tried it since I paid for it, but just prefer the clean feel of hot water and my shaving soap which already has oil in the ingredients.

I tried broccoli once. Didn't like it. Therefore, it's a useless waste of money. And anyone with a phd in food science who says it's good for you is definitely wrong, since phd's, unlike non-phd's, are occasionally wrong about things.

I'm just sayin'.

I just want to clarify something: I never said I didn't like pre-shave oil. I've never tried it. I said I didn't understand the point of it. And I meant that; I've seen multiple explanations for what it does, and all of them are meant to address issues already addressed by other parts of the wet shaving experience. Either it helps hydrate the hair (which a hot shower and face wash will do), or it helps the razor to glide across your skin (which a good lather will do). In either case, it seems redundant, and I'm curious what it is about it people who use it like.

As for all the PhD stuff, I know several PhDs, and they are all very intelligent people. I never question their authority when it comes to the subject of their degree. On anything else? Their opinions mean as much as everyone else's.

Top Bottom