What's new

Alum Ladd's Garden Shed

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
A little Bill Evans for the shed, Simon.

Have a blessed Sunday, my friends.

0b4a2e0adf2816e7daa11983baae2069.png

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Simon,

I'm taking my own advice and asking you about a razor that was waiting for me when we got back from our trip.

The razor at issue is a 1932 Canada Gillette "Pre-war" Tech, given its date. The seller described it as:

A very beautiful Gillette Canadian Tech 1932, in a stunning vintage condition.
The Bakelite case is undamaged and also beautiful!
Razor weight 47 grams

When I opened the very interesting triangle Bakelite case... a triangle with the top "cut off".. to about an inch at the top ... The top sides down over the bottom... in other words, it isn't hinged... I've never seen one like this. I did check Mr. Razor's site and didn't see anything like it.

But that isn't my question. This razor has been stripped down to the brass. I say that, but I don't know if Gillette ever released brass models with no nickel plating. Have you ever heard of such a thing? The photos looked like nickel to me, and that's what i was expecting.

I'm color blind, as you might recall.... I just asked my wife to look at it...based on her evaluation: the top of the cap is brass.. the underside of the cap is a silver color... so I'm guessing nickel... and the base plate has silver in most places but places where the brass is showing through. The handle is complete brass... no nickel.

Am I wrong in saying this is not "Stunning vintage condition"? To me, it looks like an old nickel plated razor whose nickel was worn off in many places, so they polished the easy to do surfaces, i.e., the top of the cap... and the handle, down to the brass... and left the difficult to polish areas nickel...

I'm at a bit of a loss of what to do... I know when I looked at the photographs on Etsy, they all looked like nickel in very good condition.... I was expecting some plating loss that wouldn't show up in the photographs, as I've bought a few before that had scratches etc., but they were listed that way... and I had Chris replate a #77 Flat Bottom Tech and a #44 Raised Flat Bottom for me... They came out awesome. I sort of figured I'd do what with this Canada Tech... but given that it's polished down... and the ridges of the handle are way too smooth and look machine polished down to the brass.... How should I approach this with the seller? Pre-war Canada Techs don't show up that often. That's why I bought it.... but I was too trusting, I guess.

Simon,

I'm taking my own advice and asking you about a razor that was waiting for me when we got back from our trip.

The razor at issue is a 1932 Canada Gillette "Pre-war" Tech, given its date. The seller described it as:

A very beautiful Gillette Canadian Tech 1932, in a stunning vintage condition.
The Bakelite case is undamaged and also beautiful!
Razor weight 47 grams

When I opened the very interesting triangle Bakelite case... a triangle with the top "cut off".. to about an inch at the top ... The top sides down over the bottom... in other words, it isn't hinged... I've never seen one like this. I did check Mr. Razor's site and didn't see anything like it.

But that isn't my question. This razor has been stripped down to the brass. I say that, but I don't know if Gillette ever released brass models with no nickel plating. Have you ever heard of such a thing? The photos looked like nickel to me, and that's what i was expecting.

I'm color blind, as you might recall.... I just asked my wife to look at it...based on her evaluation: the top of the cap is brass.. the underside of the cap is a silver color... so I'm guessing nickel... and the base plate has silver in most places but places where the brass is showing through. The handle is complete brass... no nickel.

Am I wrong in saying this is not "Stunning vintage condition"? To me, it looks like an old nickel plated razor whose nickel was worn off in many places, so they polished the easy to do surfaces, i.e., the top of the cap... and the handle, down to the brass... and left the difficult to polish areas nickel...

I'm at a bit of a loss of what to do... I know when I looked at the photographs on Etsy, they all looked like nickel in very good condition.... I was expecting some plating loss that wouldn't show up in the photographs, as I've bought a few before that had scratches etc., but they were listed that way... and I had Chris replate a #77 Flat Bottom Tech and a #44 Raised Flat Bottom for me... They came out awesome. I sort of figured I'd do what with this Canada Tech... but given that it's polished down... and the ridges of the handle are way too smooth and look machine polished down to the brass.... How should I approach this with the seller? Pre-war Canada Techs don't show up that often. That's why I bought it.... but I was too trusting, I guess.
Have you got a photo or link Kim? I'm kinda working in the dark here. All Canadian Techs are marked 1932 btw, regardless of actual age. it was a patent thing.

Canadian pre wars are rare. As long as the razor shaves as well as legend has it, all should be fine. Unsure how much you paid for it, but in the vintage scene you sometimes take the rough with the smooth (literally)

Descriptions can also be treading the line often, but it's a judgement call. I would shave with it first. Often the externals of a vintage are the least important.

The case sounds interesting. Unless the seller claimed it was mint NOS or the like, some hyperbole exists. It's the razor itself, its functionality and lack of physical damage or damage effecting the shave that is the over-riding determinant to many vintage users.

If it's a sweet shaver, its a result. A replate would just add to it's value if you wanted to sell it on.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Have you got a photo or link Kim? I'm kinda working in the dark here. All Canadian Techs are marked 1932 btw, regardless of actual age. it was a patent thing.

Canadian pre wars are rare. As long as the razor shaves as well as legend has it, all should be fine. Unsure how much you paid for it, but in the vintage scene you sometimes take the rough with the smooth (literally)

Descriptions can also be treading the line often, but it's a judgement call. I would shave with it first. Often the externals of a vintage are the least important.

The case sounds interesting. Unless the seller claimed it was mint NOS or the like, some hyperbole exists. It's the razor itself, its functionality and lack of physical damage or damage effecting the shave that is the over-riding determinant to many vintage users.

If it's a sweet shaver, its a result. A replate would just add to it's value if you wanted to sell it on.
Simon, hopefully, this link works... It should:

Simon, hopefully, this link works... It should:

Ok, the case is a mismatch, looks to be from a German or French maker. It's not Gillette. That may have significant value of itself.

The razor looks to be in pretty good condition from the photos, and the price is good. There has been an over zealous polishing attempt I think, but that handle looks like genuine user wear in the mix. It's been well used, and probably well loved. No damage that I can see for an 80 something year old.

If the razor was even 50% worse 'in person' I personally would still be happy with the score. I paid £25 just for a post 45' Canadian head with retangular slots. It's still a fantastic shaver.

These little guys have seen 80+ years of often very significant usage. Tough lives, maybe that one was even on the front lines in WW2. A vintage lover kind of looks beyond the condition of the original plating, and sees the integrity of the razor beneath.

My gut instinct would say, all good. I would shave with it, and get a re-plate. It's a lovely razor and we are lucky they still exist in shave ready condition.

Just an IMO Kim :thumbup1:

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Ok, the case is a mismatch, looks to be from a German or French maker. It's not Gillette. That may have significant value of itself.

The razor looks to be in pretty good condition from the photos, and the price is good. There has been an over zealous polishing attempt I think, but that handle looks like genuine user wear in the mix. It's been well used, and probably well loved. No damage that I can see for an 80 something year old.

If the razor was even 50% worse 'in person' I personally would still be happy with the score. I paid £25 just for a post 45' Canadian head with retangular slots. It's still a fantastic shaver.

These little guys have seen 80+ years of often very significant usage. Tough lives, maybe that one was even on the front lines in WW2. A vintage lover kind of looks beyond the condition of the original plating, and sees the integrity of the razor beneath.

My gut instinct would say, all good. I would shave with it, and get a re-plate. It's a lovely razor and we are lucky they still exist in shave ready condition.

Just an IMO Kim :thumbup1:
I was sort of leaning in the direction..... though I was surprised the total handle and top had been polished down to the brass.... Had I been the original owner.. or say it was my Dad's or Grandfather's razor, I would have it replated immediately and cherish it... I think your advice is sound.... Thanks, Simon.

I am going to shave with it before I do anything else.

I'll see if I can find that triangle Bakelite case somewhere in the history of razors.

I think you are quite right Kim. It's a lovely razor! Even from the pics, it just oozes great vibes. It will be a blast to use I am sure. It's probably as good, if not better than the vast majority of razors made today in the mild to mid-efficiency range.

It's amazing to me and a wonderful thing that these old guys are still slugging it out with the best of the moderns.

A bit like us, eh? :wink2:

Congratulations!

I'll see if I can find that triangle Bakelite case somewhere in the history of razors.
I dunno, it looks German. Maybe Apollo or one of the other classic brands from there?

As I say, it probably has a good resale value of itself, especially with a blade bank.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I think you are quite right Kim. It's a lovely razor! Even from the pics, it just oozes great vibes. It will be a blast to use I am sure. It's probably as good, if not better than the vast majority of razors made today in the mild to mid-efficiency range.

It's amazing to me and a wonderful thing that these old guys are still slugging it out with the best of the moderns.

A bit like us, eh? :wink2:

Congratulations!

I dunno, it looks German. Maybe Apollo or one of the other classic brands from there?

As I say, it probably has a good resale value of itself, especially with a blade bank.
I looked at eBay, Google and Etsy for Vintage Bakelite razor cases.... Nothing exactly like it comes up.... Maybe I'll find out for what it was made originally eventually.

Ordered 100 Lada Super Stainless for £5.99 ($7.63)
Had a pal back in the day who owned a Lada Niva(?) and it was singularly the worst vehicle I had ever seen or been in. When you drove it you really weren't sure you were going to survive the trip. Hopefully the blades have nothing in common with the auto...maybe the blades are made from old Ladas which would scare me...superstitious.
97f9c238f75872a600aca2d7442bb502.gif

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I've only used one Ladas, Simon, with somewhat mixed reactions. First shave in my Game Changer was excellent, second in the same razor was okay, third in my Rockwell 6C wasn't good. So I can't say yet. I'll be trying another one soon.
I enjoy Ladas blades but they can be a little razor finicky. They work very well in my Rex Envoy. All YMMV, of course.

Have a blessed day, Dan.

Top Bottom