What's new

Alum Ladd's Garden Shed

When I was drinking...this was one of my absolute favourite Scotches...so Ima just gonna leave the bottle here for whoever walks in and could use a nice drink...
__opt__aboutcom__coeus__resources__content_migration__liquor__2019__11__14110746__holiday-guid...jpg

The Mustang P-51D

The best piston fighter of WW2. Better than the Spitfire (as an Englishman I can say that)

Listen to that turbo supercharger kicking in!

Known to the bad guys as the 'Whispering Death"

I know it had a Merlin engine but the US designed aerodynamics and wing made it the beauty it was.

450 mph + at 38,000 feet. Sweet. A ridicously good combat range of 1,400 miles using drop tanks.

Everything from that era was designed to look absurdly cool, especially US products.

Even the 1941 Gillette Ranger Tech
View attachment 1808615
It was designed the same year as the P-51, 1940 as the first Milord model.
As the owner of both this and the 1948 Aristocrat Jr, do you find them similar?

As the owner of both this and the 1948 Aristocrat Jr, do you find them similar?
Hello Theodore!

The Ranger Tech I find somewhat more efficient than my 1940's Super Speed. There seems to be a slight difference in head design. I need to take photos and do a detailed comparison for a thread about it. This conclusion is after several shaves now.

The No.48 Aristo is just off the scales in efficiency and aggression. The blade gap looks to be the most extreme I have ever seen on a vintage Gillette non adjustable. It would be like a 195 on 10-11 if it went that far up is how it seems and feels from shaves and eyeballing it. I treat it with great respect. If you shave with it like a Super Speed it will bite you good. It's a razor that demands concentration. It's the most 'un-Gillette' Gillette vintage I've ever used.
.IMG_20240123_213313396.jpg
Compared to a 195 set at 9. The gap difference is more obvious 'in person'.

IMG_20240121_202110097.jpg
From left: the No.48, a 1953 English Rocket HD, US 1956 Red Tip.
For a moment I thought you owned the razor AND a Mustang P51
Lol! I suppose I would PIF it to a loving hanger. That would make news.
joke airplane GIF

Or to some devoted Warbird flying professional, some great airman/collector
Fail Watch Out GIF

Last edited:
Haven’t stopped by lately.

It was nice of Mrs Ladd to model those razors for you. If I asked Mrs Q to do that for me she’d roll her eyes and leave the room. In fact, that’s her reaction to most things most of the time. You’re lucky.
Did she finally stop persecuting you with regard to your dice shave counter Q?

Did she stop throwing them away or moving them.

Hopefully yes.

Hello Theodore!

The Ranger Tech I find somewhat more efficient than my 1940's Super Speed. There seems to be a slight difference in head design. I need to take photos and do a detailed comparison for a thread about it. This conclusion is after several shaves now.

The No.48 Aristo is just off the scales in efficiency and aggression. The blade gap looks to be the most extreme I have ever seen on a vintage Gillette non adjustable. It would be like a 195 on 10-11 if it went that far up is how it seems and feels from shaves and eyeballing it. I treat it with great respect. If you shave with it like a Super Speed it will bite you good. It's a razor that demands concentration. It's the most 'un-Gillette' Gillette vintage I've ever used.
.View attachment 1813487
Compared to a 195 set at 9. The gap difference is more obvious 'in person'.

View attachment 1813523
From left: the No.48, a 1953 English Rocket HD, US 1956 Red Tip.

Lol! I suppose I would PIF it to a loving hanger. That would make news.
joke airplane GIF

Or to some devoted Warbird flying professional, some great airman/collector
Fail Watch Out GIF
Much obliged for this, thank you! Exactly the information I was hoping to learn, having a line on one of each. I had read things that got me thinking they shaved very similarly, but I did not have the benefit of a direct comparison.

Much obliged for this, thank you! Exactly the information I was hoping to learn, having a line on one of each. I had read things that got me thinking they shaved very similarly, but I did not have the benefit of a direct comparison.
I will create a thread comparing the two sometime next week. I dont think such a comparison thread exists though I may be wrong. I will try to post pics of heads and comparison shaves.

The RT blade gap appears slightly higher than the 48-9 Super Speed I have. The SB guard gap size looking from the top is slightly different. It feels as if the RT has some slight positive blade exposure which makes a significant difference in shave outcome and feel.

It makes for a different shave experience in my estimation. More efficiency seems evident with the RT from my shaves with it. Again, you also have to be slightly more careful with the RT. It's not such a carefree Super Speed shave.

They are both glorious shavers. Again blade choice in each seems to be factoring in. The RT seems to prefer medium sharp blades. The SS prefers sharper blades.

I will try to cover my impressions in the upcoming thread.

Last edited:
I will create a thread comparing the two sometime next week. I dont think such a comparison thread exists though I may be wrong. I will try to post pics of heads and comparison shaves.

The RT blade gap appears slightly higher than the 48-9 Super Speed I have. The SB guard gap size looking from the top is slightly different. It feels as if the RT has some slight positive blade exposure which makes a significant difference in shave outcome and feel.

It makes for a different shave experience in my estimation. More efficiency seems evident with the RT from my shaves with it. Again, you also have to be slightly more careful with the RT. It's not such a carefree Super Speed shave.

They are both glorious shavers. Again blade choice in each seems to be factoring in. The RT seems to prefer medium sharp blades. The SS prefers sharper blades.

I will try to cover my impressions in the upcoming thread.
More than I could have hoped for - thank you very much! I will read it with great interest :)

Top Bottom