What's new

Alum Ladd's Garden Shed

Ah, quietude. An often overlooked quality wherein self reflection and inner solace can be achieved through the lack of outside stimulus and cacophony. Is it too quiet? Maybe for some...I like showing up when the shed is unoccupied so I can let myself in, drink whatever's around, make myself at home, relax, eat all the snacks, clean up and blame someone else. BadaBoom!
I'll see myself out.
1f0dadb3-fd38-4cbe-8513-b8860d4418d4_text.gif

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I might have to stop reading this thread. I have a second Canada Pre-war Tech on the way, courtesy of @Balin , and I’m looking around for a metal Souplex. A few Bakelite ones showed up but no metal ones yet.

I really want to avoid the Vintage rabbit hole. I think it’s even deeper than the CNC rabbit hole I haven’t quite managed to escape so far. <eg>

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Ordered 100 Lada Super Stainless for £5.99 ($7.63)

Lets have a laugh! Mixed reviews. Any Shed dwellers used them?

We will see.
Ladas are probably my favourite blade currently in production, I have around 700 of them but they do not get a lot of love here on B&B. I also enjoy Rapira and Voskhod, but Ladas are my number 1. Let us know what you think of them 👍

The album I had was vinyl, and even if I reclaimed it, I no longer have anything to play it on. Which is something I should rectify, since I have around 50 old vinyl albums packed away in a closet. :rolleyes:
I had a bunch of wonderful vinyl albums in a storage box. When I opened the box, the albums were all warped. I tossed them, and gave away my turntable (a Garrard, IIRC). I had already replaced most of them with cds. Now my new car doesn’t have a cd player, but between Spotify and Amazon music I am managing.

Ah, quietude. An often overlooked quality wherein self reflection and inner solace can be achieved through the lack of outside stimulus and cacophony. Is it too quiet? Maybe for some...I like showing up when the shed is unoccupied so I can let myself in, drink whatever's around, make myself at home, relax, eat all the snacks, clean up and blame someone else. BadaBoom!
I'll see myself out.
View attachment 1820663
I like quiet too Huck. Some people seem afraid of it, want to fill it. I like it fine most times.

Make yourself at home as always. Bar and freezer fully stocked! Been a little busy past 3-4 days so I haven't aired the place.
I might have to stop reading this thread. I have a second Canada Pre-war Tech on the way, courtesy of @Balin , and I’m looking around for a metal Souplex. A few Bakelite ones showed up but no metal ones yet.

I really want to avoid the Vintage rabbit hole. I think it’s even deeper than the CNC rabbit hole I haven’t quite managed to escape so far. <eg>
Nah you'll be fine!
A little Dave Brubeck for the shed, Simon.

Have a blessed Saturday, all.
Outstanding piece of musical history. Wonderful taste as always my friend! :thumbup1:
Ladas are probably my favourite blade currently in production, I have around 700 of them but they do not get a lot of love here on B&B. I also enjoy Rapira and Voskhod, but Ladas are my number 1. Let us know what you think of them 👍
Glad you are liking them Richard! I picked up 300, a slight risk on an untested blade. But no, i'm getting excellent results from the first blade I have tried. Excellent sharp and smooth combination. Beautifully packaged and on to shave 5 without any marked deterioration.

I am becoming increasingly drawn to coated stainless blades. They seem to work better in vintages, but that might just be me.

Last edited:
Nice shave with the English Aristocrat No.15 tonight. The Lada paired great with it.
IMG_20240331_204505115.jpg

I had a look at the head of it. Although it is mechanically identical to the Aristocrat Junior No.48, including the lack of end caps, the AJ gap is significantly greater. The No.15 is no slouch mind. I'm thinking about the same as the English Red Tip at around .81

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Nice shave with the English Aristocrat No.15 tonight. The Lada paired great with it.
View attachment 1821453

I had a look at the head of it. Although it is mechanically identical to the Aristocrat Junior No.48, including the lack of end caps, the AJ gap is significantly greater. The No.15 is no slouch mind. I'm thinking about the same as the English Red Tip at around .81
I have tons of Ladas blades, Simon. They work better in some of my razors than others. :)

I have tons of Ladas blades, Simon. They work better in some of my razors than others. :)
What's your view on them Eric? Picked up 300 on the strength of the performance of this one blade. I'm suprised at the quality, potential for longevity feels there and rather impressed with the smooth/sharp combo it offers. It seems to run great in vintages. It did fantastically well in a 195 adjustable on Friday, maybe the best shave I've got from a 195. Ran it through an English FBT and a '53 Rocket too with great results.

300 blades ran to about £18, so an acceptable risk, kinda.

I hope your Easter was peaceful and meaningful my Brother!

Last edited:

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I hope your Easter was peaceful and meaningful my Brother!
Happy Easter, dear friend. I really like Ladas blades. I find them to be both smooth and sharp. I also like Rapira Platinum Lux and Voskhod. I have hundreds and hundreds of all of them. Oh dear, I can't wait to do my first PIF when I get back to Nashville, TN.

I can't remember if I've tried a Ladas in my '55 Red Tip. That will be my shave tonight before bed. :)

Had a pal back in the day who owned a Lada Niva(?) and it was singularly the worst vehicle I had ever seen or been in. When you drove it you really weren't sure you were going to survive the trip. Hopefully the blades have nothing in common with the auto...maybe the blades are made from old Ladas which would scare me...superstitious.
View attachment 1814388
I see what you did there! You figured it out early, tried to warn, but I was blind..

So Gentlemen, I have been misspelling Ladas.

The evidence is clear.

What really hurts is that I have been doing - it -all -over -the -forum.

For days now.

Days.

Last edited:
Top Bottom