What's new

Alum Ladd's Garden Shed

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Ah, the proverbial bad blade. I've heard tell of such creatures, but I've never experienced them in the wild.
You need to buy some Personna Comfort Coated USA blades (new name now)... I've had three confirmed duds....Confirmed how? I switched out each blade immediately and replaced it with another one... and the second one was perfect... that first one was unusable. Then you will no longer be searching in the wild... You'll have your own duds right there in your bathroom.

I have had one, but just one, dud Nacet... again confirmed by switching out to another Nacet immediately.

Ah, the proverbial bad blade. I've heard tell of such creatures, but I've never experienced them in the wild.
Well from your great experience in the blade game I fully accept that.

To be honest I have never actually come across one. My Super Max experience is probably down to my increasing respect for blades on the keener edge spectrum. Maybe my beard has changed, technique, or I am simply having a lousy run of shaves. It happens.

However there are some persistant reports of BIC blades having pretty poor QC and some absolute duffs among 100 packs. Unsure if things are better on the BIC QC front now.

It's always put me off from getting any to be honest, although I have a lonely tuck of 5 that I must investigate.

@lasta our old blade chomping chum, what are your views on the bad blade idea. Myth or grim reality? Any analysis from you would be a welcome addition to the chat.

Or from any Gents frequenting the Shed. Bad blade ancedotes and analysis from experience most welcomed!

Is it the user, or the blade?

Last edited:

lasta

Blade Biter
Hi Simon,

I think there are many factors contributing to a good shave. Temperature, humidity, or even quality of sleep being amongst them.

That being said, blade making is a very high speed process, variation is more likely than not. Not only do I notice the occasional dud blade, I've felt minute quality differences even in the same blade produced in different years.

I think there are many factors contributing to a good shave. Temperature, humidity, or even quality of sleep being amongst them.
Good points.

I would add, the intangible 'state of mind'.

I think I linked somewhere a few months ago a rather moving but highly insightful and informative YT video from Big John, an old B&B friend, who went into great detail about the great decline in his technique following the loss of his wife, and how he was forced to rethink his entire shave philosophy.

The Mustang P-51D

The best piston fighter of WW2. Better than the Spitfire (as an Englishman I can say that)

Listen to that turbo supercharger kicking in!

Known to the bad guys as the 'Whispering Death"

I know it had a Merlin engine but the US designed aerodynamics and wing made it the beauty it was.

450 mph + at 38,000 feet. Sweet. A ridicously good combat range of 1,400 miles using drop tanks.

Everything from that era was designed to look absurdly cool, especially US products.

Even the 1941 Gillette Ranger Tech
IMG_20240202_205136105.jpg

It was designed the same year as the P-51, 1940 as the first Milord model.

Last edited:
It may be just a bad blade, although oddly I have never had a 'bad blade' experience with any blade type.
Same here Simon. I think in general most blades are capable of cutting hair - at least on the first shave.
Is it the user, or the blade?
But I do think that sometimes it might be neither. Sometimes the blade and you (your razor) are just no match, because your skin reacts or because the blades edge honing is less aligned with the razor’s design.

At least that’s my 2 cents.

Sorry Gents I had a very busy past few days and I haven't been around apart from briefly glancing at 'What's New'.

Nothing critical, just time consuming life clutter.

I couldn't find anything intelligent original or useful to say and the average detailed post usually takes me around 45 minutes what with the obsessive editing and re-editing that my unfortunate mental state demands.

So I was silent.

Deeply appreciate the advert for the Shed Kim, @Phoenixkh and your kindly words my friend!

Last edited:

lasta

Blade Biter
The Mustang P-51D

The best piston fighter of WW2. Better than the Spitfire (as an Englishman I can say that)

Listen to that turbo supercharger kicking in!

Known to the bad guys as the 'Whispering Death"

I know it had a Merlin engine but the US designed aerodynamics and wing made it the beauty it was.

450 mph + at 38,000 feet. Sweet. A ridicously good combat range of 1,400 miles using drop tanks.

Everything from that era was designed to look absurdly cool, especially US products.

Even the 1941 Gillette Ranger Tech
View attachment 1808615
It was designed the same year as the P-51, 1940 as the first Milord model.
I love the polish on those Mustangs! Back in the day (almost) nobody did a finer shine job than those Inglewood boys.

Top Bottom