What's new

Advice Wanted--What do physicians most often wear in a hospital setting under whites?

Good post. I suppose that is part of the picture. Part of why dressing the part is worthwhile. No one wants to pay too much, but everyone wants the guy that is successful enough to be paid tons of money by other people!

But I bet in Hong Kong one can get some truly well-tailored clothing, for not nearly as much as it would cost State-side! And aren't you in the land of the $70 a night hospital room and the $125 MRI?

And how does the charge for a minor surgery by the best general surgeon in Hong Kong compare to the same surgery by any random surgeon surgeon in the US? :001_smile You do not have to answer that obviously! :001_smile

Honestly, I had the same thing done in the US for 1/5 of what I ended up paying here. Oh yeah, I was told that if I had it done at a hospital it would cost maybe $100-$200 HKD ($12-30 USD) but I would have to wait for around two months. I had to get it done now because I've had the wound become infected twice in 6 weeks and I can't wait the two months for the surgery.

That's the last time I take my doctor's word about a reference for a sawbones in Central. I do have insurance but I don't rate high enough to have insurance outside of hospital care of course. So this is all out of pocket for me. I really have no idea why it cost so much more than what I paid in the US and it was my recollection that I paid out of pocket in the US too since I had crappy insurance there too.

Last edited:
Most of the med students/interns/residents that I see around the hospital where I work are usually in scrubs under their coats. Don't know if different programs have different dress codes though.

I think everyone's given pretty good advice so far, but I'll just chime in and post what I wear - Long sleeve dress shirt in a solid or subtle stripe/check/glen plaid (I buy Brooks Bros Non-Iron because I have neither the time to iron them or the money to have them laundered - I'm only a resident), cotton chinos (easier to care for, not as costly if you spill something unsavory on them), a tie (I wear bow ties, as they stay up and out of the way and not dragging through the aforementioned unsavory bits), and comfortable shoes.

I can't stress the last bit enough. I believe in fairly formal dress, and wear traditional nice, leather soled shoes when dressing up outside of work, but your feet won't last one day in leather soled shoes in the hospital - the floors are too hard and you have to walk/stand too much. This is one area where a lot of docs, save but the most senior ones, cheat on traditional dress. People wear everything from traditional dress shoes to tennis shoes (I know, shudder the thought). I've had success with Eccos, Cole Haan with the Nike Air soles, and Clarks, depending on how trendy you want to be. Ecco and Cole Haan make some reasonably comfortable shoes that still look fairly traditional.

Above all, you want to be at least as dressy as your attending if not more so (this almost always includes a tie, except on surgical rotations), and you don't want to stand out.

Thanks. Good advice I would think and pretty much what my son has ended up wearing, except the bow tie and not tennis shoes, but some shiny leather shoe with a cushiony sole.

He has worn black shoes with khakis, which I normally would not suggest, but I think may work here.

There do seem to dress up there. As I understand it, ties are mandatory for sure. I do not think I would go with tennis shoes, at least as a med student. Really not need given what they have now in dress shoes.

Do MDs wear clogs at all? There seemed to be a trend for certain medical folks to wear them for a while, maybe just in ORs. Seems am interesting choice to me. They are supposed to be confortable for long periods and I guess get one above anything that spills. I am still arguing for flyfishing waders if anything is going to be spilling on me!

I think everyone's given pretty good advice so far, but I'll just chime in and post what I wear - Long sleeve dress shirt in a solid or subtle stripe/check/glen plaid (I buy Brooks Bros Non-Iron because I have neither the time to iron them or the money to have them laundered - I'm only a resident), cotton chinos (easier to care for, not as costly if you spill something unsavory on them), a tie (I wear bow ties, as they stay up and out of the way and not dragging through the aforementioned unsavory bits), and comfortable shoes.

I can't stress the last bit enough. I believe in fairly formal dress, and wear traditional nice, leather soled shoes when dressing up outside of work, but your feet won't last one day in leather soled shoes in the hospital - the floors are too hard and you have to walk/stand too much. This is one area where a lot of docs, save but the most senior ones, cheat on traditional dress. People wear everything from traditional dress shoes to tennis shoes (I know, shudder the thought). I've had success with Eccos, Cole Haan with the Nike Air soles, and Clarks, depending on how trendy you want to be. Ecco and Cole Haan make some reasonably comfortable shoes that still look fairly traditional.

Above all, you want to be at least as dressy as your attending if not more so (this almost always includes a tie, except on surgical rotations), and you don't want to stand out.

As as consumer rather than provider, I would expect something simple and unmemorable. White or blue Oxford shirt, simple tie, classic tan chinos or possibly a smart technical pant like a Kuhl Renegade or similar. As for shoes - comfort is key. This maybe a very good case for some of the hybrid dress/sneaker options than run from mass market to fully bespoke. Way easier on the feet than a leather soled formal shoe. No gimmicky ties or socks - maybe ok if you’re working with young children perhaps. Basically smart but not at all dandy or contrived. I want to be the focus of the interaction.

That said, I was impressed when the physio doctor I saw a few months ago showed up wearing a very nice pair of tan cross grain long wings, good thick leather sole, nice welt. He was the top guy, so earned that!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
As as consumer rather than provider, I would expect something simple and unmemorable. White or blue Oxford shirt, simple tie, classic tan chinos or possibly a smart technical pant like a Kuhl Renegade or similar. As for shoes - comfort is key. This maybe a very good case for some of the hybrid dress/sneaker options than run from mass market to fully bespoke. Way easier on the feet than a leather soled formal shoe. No gimmicky ties or socks - maybe ok if you’re working with young children perhaps. Basically smart but not at all dandy or contrived. I want to be the focus of the interaction.

That said, I was impressed when the physio doctor I saw a few months ago showed up wearing a very nice pair of tan cross grain long wings, good thick leather sole, nice welt. He was the top guy, so earned that!
The docs I know in Austin wear nice khakis, open collar cotton shirts, usually in checks or tattersalls (spread collars, lightly starched), and comfortable loafers. A few of the older ones wear ties, some even wear suits, and as much as I love ties, it seems odd.

If they are a shave hobbiest/ student of the shave...it would be CNC'ed underwear, either Titanium, Bronze, Stainless Steel(303, or 316L) , or Brass..
From what I hear, zamak/ pot metal undies are not permitted.
BFX
Hey..
If you are not having fun, you are doing it wrong.
Note: I had my old go-to boxers Rodium plated...

Presumptions:

1. Clothes should be self launderable.
2. Shoes should be comfortable, cleanable and anti slip
3. Virtually any of these items can be ruined on any given day while rounding given the environment ie. Blood, urine, feces, fluids etc.

Given the above:
A. I would buy solid blue v white dress shirts if I could get away with it as they will look better longer. Uniqlo sells them for 29.99 when on sale. Amazon sell shirts that can be had sub 20.00. Thrift stores can be a great source for all solid color dress shirts often sub 10.00USD.
B. I would buy two pairs of similar shoes and wear them on alternating days as they will last much longer that way.
I would never scrimp on my shoes so I would be looking at Ecco, Memphisto or similar shoes. I would mate my shoes with quality majority merino wool socks by smartwool, darn tough, icebreaker, etc. If it was culturally acceptable and I could get away with an all black running/walking type shoe (brooks, new balance, hoka) I would do that in a heartbeat for the comfort.
C. I would trend toward synthetic “khaki” type pants in darker colors.
D. I would buy all of ties at a thrift store for 5USD max as great ties are becoming more and more avail as the rest of the world moves away from ties.

Blessings to you all.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
he needs some dress shirts, ties, and at least somewhat dressy slacks (I did not think to ask about shoes) to wear on "rounds" (I hope I am using the right nomenclature) under "whites."

Also, not sure I am getting the difference between docker type dress slacks

I guess I am not 100% sure what an "attending physician" is.

I do not see anything disadventageous about the modern all cotton non iron dress shirt, except initial cost

I may be controversial, but I do not think anyone really needs bespoke shirts

Bow ties are cool. Fezzes are cool too.

Not that kind of "doctor".

1712504910563.png

I might actually have some good input on this question.

I come from a family of doctors, 5 in my immediate family to be exact. We generally wear a solid color dress shirt under whites, with black pants. Generally no brown pants or striped shirts. However, it wouldn't be entirely out of place to wear a striped shirt, but it's kind of up to your own discretion.

Now, this is somewhat dependent on the locality. My dad is a small town doctor, he rarely wears whites when checking in on patients. He dresses more casually, and often incorporates more brown/khaki pants and striped shirts. But he's also been practicing in the same small town for almost 30 years. He has an extensive patient base, and really has no need to impress anyone at this point.

On the other hand, my brother is a chief resident in a major US city. He's more likely to follow my initial guidelines. Especially since he is a young doctor.

Are you looking to impress nurses?

14 years later I would hope that he bagged a nurse by now…

*sigh*

Here I was composing my responses in my mind to each quote I picked out ... and then ... oh, 14 years old.

@The Knize ... how is the lad doing now?

Last time I had dealing with Medical Student at VA Clinic he wore.

Dress slacks, long sleeve shirt, tie, and leather shoes.

Nothing fancy or expensive, but neat and clean.

I was more impress with him, his goals, and kid did not have head in cloud.

Worked at LA County back in 1970’s we had many med students. They back then dress same.

Don’t need spend fortune to look professional.

Top Bottom