What's new

A really dumb question - hats in the office?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Attire is what I would call relaxed business casual. Boss doesn’t care if you wear jeans, but not baggy, carpenter, or holey jeans. Nice jeans are OK. Same with shoes - sneakers are fine, but Crocs or flip flops nahhh. T-shirts are cool too, but should fit and company logo preferably. Shirts preferably tucked in. Basically he said wear what you want but look presentable and dress for the environment. You’re not at a rock concert, or going to beach. You’re at work.

Which brings me to hats. He wears a ball cap (company logo of course) at times. So I can get away with wearing the company ball cap. But I’d prefer something nicer than a ball cap. I’ll be wearing jeans or khakis, with a tucked in polo shirt or button down oxford (short or long sleeve), and business casual shoes (non-sneakers). I shave my head so I prefer to keep a cover on it. But I just don’t think the ball cap really fits with the outfit. But maybe something else would??

Any suggestions?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Attire is what I would call relaxed business casual. Boss doesn’t care if you wear jeans, but not baggy, carpenter, or holey jeans. Nice jeans are OK. Same with shoes - sneakers are fine, but Crocs or flip flops nahhh. T-shirts are cool too, but should fit and company logo preferably. Shirts preferably tucked in. Basically he said wear what you want but look presentable and dress for the environment. You’re not at a rock concert, or going to beach. You’re at work.

Which brings me to hats. He wears a ball cap (company logo of course) at times. So I can get away with wearing the company ball cap. But I’d prefer something nicer than a ball cap. I’ll be wearing jeans or khakis, with a tucked in polo shirt or button down oxford (short or long sleeve), and business casual shoes (non-sneakers). I shave my head so I prefer to keep a cover on it. But I just don’t think the ball cap really fits with the outfit. But maybe something else would??

Any suggestions?
top hat all the way

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Are you primarily working inside or out?

If it is an indoor office job I would not think a hat is appropriate. If there is a degree of outdoor work involved, I would keep the company hat in your desk draw, or car, and put it on when you go out.

Inside. My boss wears a company ball cap. So I can get away with that. But I wanted something better looking. But I get what you’re saying. Any other hat besides “approved company logo hat” might not fly.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Inside. My boss wears a company ball cap. So I can get away with that. But I wanted something better looking. But I get what you’re saying. Any other hat besides “approved company logo hat” might not fly.
Ask the boss if there is a patch or a pin with the company logo that you can buy to put on your Scally cap.
His answer will be all the info you need.

Duckbill Ivy Cap.

They are casual, form fitted, bill can curve like a ball hat, material to suit the weather or dress, cotton for casual, wool/tweed for business casual.

Black or grey beanie from a premium outdoor vendor especially in winter. Need protection and prevention of skin cancer. I would avoid trucker style hats - foam with mesh in the back even if company logo. I talked to a through hiker AT, PCT and CDT who said he always looked for a hat with the state flag when ever he got to a new state as he felt it helped him get picked up hitchhiking which he needed to do as he was a through hiker. Except he said in Montana it is a tradition that folks stop for hitchhiking. You could also support one of you best customers. I have a long time contract with a local college and sometimes will wear one of the college logos. I bought hats at thrift stores. They show up regularly - sometimes in new condition - though they also have a store that I could look to for the selection of various hats.

Based on your boss's statement, especially the part about "looking presentable" I would think some sort of flat cap to be fine. A ball cap is a little harder to pull off in that they are usually advertising something, whether that is a sports team, company, product, place, etc. So unless it is promoting the company in some way, a trucker/baseball style hat would be the most out of place IMO.

Of course there is the whole topic of whether it is proper to wear a hat indoors, but your boss is already giving implicit permission. There was an good thread here on the topic of wearing a hat indoors about 1-2 years ago.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
If you not feeling a flat cap.
Maybe a gulf cap in tweed?
1643085892449.png

Not all baseball caps are low on style. Cotton/linen or tweed can transform it.

1643086143487.png

1643086543213.png

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I don’t care about the “rule” of no hats indoors. That’s basically 1950’s outdated hat rules. Look around next time you are at a restaurant, anyone that walks in with a hat is wearing it at the table. And besides, the precedent has already been set at work.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I don’t care about the “rule” of no hats indoors. That’s basically 1950’s outdated hat rules. Look around next time you are at a restaurant, anyone that walks in with a hat is wearing it at the table. And besides, the precedent has already been set at work.
I'd expect that someone sporting a traditional 50's hat like a fedora might follow the old guidelines, but not a ballcap or flatcap wearer now-a-days.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I think the only fedoras in public I ever saw where on hipsters, and they ain’t following no old guidelines :laugh:. My dad wore a fedora at times and he took it off indoors. Actually, any hat he wore. I don’t believe the new generation of hat wearers gives a damn. Unless it’s like a specialty hat perhaps - like if you are a cowboy and know a thing or two about respect then you know hat etiquette.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Apparently the only hats that America does well are Western style. I just tried finding a US made linen ball cap and there is squat that turned up.

Top Bottom