What's new

Advice on getting negative exposure razor 🙏

Hey guys just looking for some advice on a razor acquisition. I'm looking for a razor that has negative exposure to see how the shaving experience is. All my razors either have positive to neutral exposure. I like razors that clamp the blade down close to the cutting edge like the fatip, Gillette post war techs, Gillette New SC ect ect. I have really course hair and find that blades that have this design work better for me. I've seen a few that cought my eye like

-Karve with A or AA plates
-heard that Merkur 15c is negative exposure but need some confirmation. Plus I'm not too happy with merkur QC as my 34c has horrible blade alignment and takes to long to align so I'm iffy on getting it.
-heard that the Rockwell on certain levels are negative exposure. I know it doesn't clamp that blade close to the edge but gives the blade a pretty huge curve and looks like a good cutter
-need confirmation if Gamechanger .68 is negative or not. Razorock say it's positive so it seems pretty definitive to me

Thanks everyone any advice would be very appreciated.

-God bless 🙏

If you're looking for a negative exposure razor then the Merkur open comb head (15C, 41C etc.) will definitely hit the spot. It is inexpensive, the top-cap & baseplate clamps the blade very close to the business end of the blade, the blade alignment is very good and it is a very intuitive razor to use.

I can confirm a few things based on using card stock and my own razors.

The Merkur 15c has negative exposure.

The GC 68 P seems to be neutral.

If you want a cheap negative exposure razor experiment, the Baili TTO is one and it shaves great.

I can confirm a few things based on using card stock and my own razors.

The Merkur 15c has negative exposure.

The GC 68 P seems to be neutral.

If you want a cheap negative exposure razor experiment, the Baili TTO is one and it shaves great.
Really? The Baili TTO is negative? Is the clamping good?

Really? The Baili TTO is negative? Is the clamping good?
It’s negative when I drag it over card stock. The clamping is as good as any TTO, but it’s no Henson or RR BBS. I don’t detect much blade chatter. I have very thick hair and the Baili shaves me great. You can get it for $5 from Maggard's. It’s a very cheap experiment.

It’s negative when I drag it over card stock. The clamping is as good as any TTO, but it’s no Henson or RR BBS. I don’t detect much blade chatter. I have very thick hair and the Baili shaves me great. You can get it for $5 from Maggard's. It’s a very cheap experiment.
Might just be what I'm looking for! Is the 3 peace the same or no?

Might just be what I'm looking for! Is the 3 peace the same or no?
The three piece is very different and I hate it. It has no blade bend and a very large gap. It does also have negative blade and exposure, but it’s given me some of the worst shaves in my life. The TTO has some bend in the blade and makes finding the shave angle more intuitive. The three piece head is also cheap, so it’s a cheap experiment in its own right. You could try both for less than $16 assuming you have another razor handle. But I detest the three piece version. YMMV. You might love it.

TTO. Some blade bend. Reasonable gap. I love.

IMG_0028.jpeg

Three piece. No blade bend. Huge gap. I detest.

IMG_0029.jpeg

The blade clamping on the tto looks pretty great honestly. Thanks for the pics sir 😁
Actually I saw a Viking razor at a local Marshalls they look the same. Any confirmation on wether or not it's the same razor?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230921_103026_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230921_103026_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    511.9 KB · Views: 15
Actually I saw a Viking razor at a local Marshalls they look the same. Any confirmation on wether or not it's the same razor?
Like Jay said, it's the same razor. Viking admitted that Baili makes it for them, but claimed that they required higher quality control than Baili does for their own Baili 179. Supposedly you're paying more for that.

It's a decent shaver, but the mechanism feels pretty janky. Pick up a cheap Super Speed and you'll see and feel a huge quality difference. The only advantage that the Baili has is that it covers the blade tabs whereas on the Gillette they are exposed.

It's a decent shaver, but the mechanism feels pretty janky. Pick up a cheap Super Speed and you'll see and feel a huge quality difference. The only advantage that the Baili has is that it covers the blade tabs whereas on the Gillette they are exposed.
I agree it may seem a little flimsy before its first use, but after shaving with it a few times and getting water and lather down in the gears, it tightened up nicely and works like all my other TTOs.

Top Bottom