What's new

Acquisitions - December 27 to January 2, 2010 - Happy New Year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to Big Lot last night. I looked through the Holiday Scent Gift Sets and they had a "Classic Timeless" Old Spice Set, cologne and aftershave. Both were in glass bottles, I think it was made in Canada because of the bi-lingual packaging. Only 6 bucks, a good deal for the bottles alone. I don't know about each stores inventory but worth a check out if you are near one.

Interesting. That's worth looking into at the very least!:thumbup1:

I was excited to go to a nearby antique mall to find some Safety Razors today. Sadly, I came up with nothing. Of course, I asked one of the staff about them and he said, "well, I seem to recall a gentleman here about two weeks ago looking for the same thing...I personally threw away all of mine in the 70s."

Darn, guess I was beaten to the punch this time.

How common is it to find these things in antique shops? This was a huge antique place and I was shocked to hardly see anything.

I was excited to go to a nearby antique mall to find some Safety Razors today. Sadly, I came up with nothing. Of course, I asked one of the staff about them and he said, "well, I seem to recall a gentleman here about two weeks ago looking for the same thing...I personally threw away all of mine in the 70s."

Darn, guess I was beaten to the punch this time.

How common is it to find these things in antique shops? This was a huge antique place and I was shocked to hardly see anything.

You usually come up empty. I have driven hundreds of miles around Texas to come up with only a couple of Super Speeds. Granted, a shop that I visit weekly in the town I live in produced a nice Knack and Flair tip Super Speed just last weekend. I haven't found a razor in that shop in about a year. Sometimes you get lucky, just keep in mind that you will spend time behind the wheel.

DL

Occasionally you will come up with something great or atleast servicable. I think this is somewhat rare though. Vitaman always seems to score good stuff though. Some shops will take down you contact info and interests and keep you in mind.

D

doleeo

There is a huge antique mall around where I am living and now pretty much all the employees know who I am and what I look for.

I happened upon a razor in a locked case and asked for assistance, the lady said that she thought there were a few other straight razors at another booth, turns out it's the booth I cleaned out the week before!

I found 3 excellent razors so far at this antique mall. A W&B frameback, Rodgers wedge, and NOS Torrey wedge.

I love to go antiqueing. I have found that the stores that do a good business and rotate stock will come up with good finds 2-3x a year. It takes patience and you gotta like looking at other stuff.

Can't find the camera cord...been traveling alot recently hopefully not somewhere where I am not. The logo is of the personal ship racing through the waves, not of a grand clipper ship.

Well the big question is what does it smell like? Is it just the reformulated, not-so-original Original scent? Or does it smell like the genuine article?

It is probably just the final glass-bottled Old Spice before they went to the plastic bottles. I have a couple of the final glass-bottled A/S and they have stuff written in French and addresses in Canada on the bottle.

Like the others are saying, you gotta keep pounding the shops and getting to know the people. I hit all the locals a couple times a month. I've even had a couple shop owners hold stuff for me knowing it was something I'd like. Made a quick stop before work today and scored a decent straight that'll just need a shine and hone and a really nice G type Injector. Keep pounding the shops. Be the guy that gets all the stuff you usually miss.

Last week I found a Gem Micromatic with case at a tiny secondhand store in our little village. It cleaned up pretty well, and I'm looking forward to trying it.

When I first got interested in wet-shaving, I scoured all the antique shops I could find between Baltimore, Philadelphia, and South Jersey. After about 20 shops where either they had nothing, or what they did have was horribly overpriced, I finally found a store near where I work that seemed like a virtual gold-mine for shavers.

They had all kinds of DEs and Straights, a few brushes and mugs, all scattered about the store in various glass cases. And all were reasonably priced. Over the last year, I've pretty much cleaned them out, and bought every razor in the store that was worth having. I left behind a few that were in pretty bad shape, and they're still there.

Unfortunately, they haven't gotten even one single new addition in the last year and a half.

Remember, the whole thing about vintage razors is that they're not making them anymore. So the finite supply that's out there is all there is. And of those, they keep migrating into the collections/rotations of people like us.

So as far as finding razors in antique stores, I don't see the situation getting any better.

There is an antique mall in St. Petersburg that has a case with plenty of D.E.s
Unfortunately the seller seems well aware of their worth, but the prices are not out of line. A cased Fat-boy with instructions, $68, an uncased gold toggle, in pretty good shape. $90. assorted ttos, $6 to $10 plus an assortment of antique brushes and other shaving items, kind of like a miniature wet shaving museum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom