What's new

Above the Tie - Above the Crowd

Used the R1 for the first time last night. Fantastic shave! Granted, I had a 3 day beard and I have yet to have a bad shave with that much growth, but after using the M2 for a week straight I think I've decided open combs just aren't for me. I also used Cella (block) and a Wee Scot for the first time, so that was fun. Leaving for Europe at the end of the week and this'll be the first trip where I'm not reverting to carts/foam. The ATT travel case should come in handy.

Used the R1 for the first time last night. Fantastic shave! Granted, I had a 3 day beard and I have yet to have a bad shave with that much growth, but after using the M2 for a week straight I think I've decided open combs just aren't for me. I also used Cella (block) and a Wee Scot for the first time, so that was fun. Leaving for Europe at the end of the week and this'll be the first trip where I'm not reverting to carts/foam. The ATT travel case should come in handy.

In my experience the R1 and even the H1 are much more smooth and pleasant a shave than the M2.

I remember you saying as much. That came to mind when I was shaving. The real challenge for me so far is one day of growth, so tonight is the test.

I have been using the Above the Tie razors for about a month now. I have tried the R1, M1 and S1. I liked them all but I must say, the S1 gives a shave like I've never had. So smooth and effortless. I can't believe how close I can get my mustache area with zero irritation and 9 hours later it's still incredibly smooth. Nothing else like it.

I have been using the Above the Tie razors for about a month now. I have tried the R1, M1 and S1. I liked them all but I must say, the S1 gives a shave like I've never had. So smooth and effortless. I can't believe how close I can get my mustache area with zero irritation and 9 hours later it's still incredibly smooth. Nothing else like it.

The M1 was my favorite plate, but the S1 is truly special. Like you, I find it incredibly smooth. It's an amazing razor, probably the best slant I've ever used.

I've been doing a lot of research on purchasing a new razor, and I've made a decision to go with a 5 piece Colossus open comb system.

I started out with a Parker 26C which is an open comb with a 4" handle, so that has influenced my choice. I also have a heavy beard and somewhat sensitive skin where I typically don't shave on the weekends. I think the three different levels of aggressiveness will give me enough options for that first Monday shave, something less aggressive during the week, and a mild one on Friday.

Feel free to comment on my logic, and the best place to purchase.

Your logic sounds similar to mine, and it has worked out great for me. You might turn out favoring one baseplate over the others (I did ... I now only use my H1) ... but I personally think their 5 piece sets are the ideal 2nd razor (once you've convinced yourself to go with DEs). You may have just saved yourself hundreds of dollars in RAD :)

For Monday's shave I used the H1 plate for the second time. The first time I used it was Sunday after a two day growth so this time I wanted to try it after only a one day growth to see how aggressive it is or can be. I didnt change the blade (Astra SP) or soap (Cella) to keep it as close to the first shave as possible. You do need to pay attention to your shave because I think it has the ability to be an aggressive razor for sure.

I have to say it was a great shave again but I can feel the blade more on my one day growth face compared to two days worth. I dont know if I will use it as a "daily" razor or not as it is too early to tell and I will try it out some more but at this time I didn't have any problems with it or getting a DFS shave in two passes with little touch up and even some BBS in most areas!

Last edited:
For Monday's shave I used the H1 plate for the second time. The first time I used it was Sunday after a two day growth so this time I wanted to try it after only a one day growth to see how aggressive it is or can be. I didnt change the blade (Astra SP) or soap (Cella) to keep it as close to the first shave as possible. You do need to pay attention to your shave because I think it has the ability to be an aggressive razor for sure.

I have to say it was a great shave again but I can feel the blade more on my one day growth face compared to two days worth. I dont know if I will use it as a "daily" razor or not as it is too early to tell and I will try it out some more but at this time I didn't have any problems with it or getting a DFS shave in two passes with little touch up and even some BBS in most areas!

The key is a very light touch. The H1 will bite you if you're careless with it. But it sure gives a great shave once you get the hang of it. :thumbup:

The key is a very light touch. The H1 will bite you if you're careless with it. But it sure gives a great shave once you get the hang of it. :thumbup:

Yeah I am sure I had a bit too much pressure as I did get a little irritation but not much. The H1 is without a doubt a shaving machine that provides a super close shave without a ton of effort.

So far, I think the R1 is my favorite head. The H1 is also very nice (and smooth). I am looking forward to getting an S2.

After reading a lot of reviews and feedback on ATT, I finally pulled the trigger on an Atlas S1. I just purchased it 5 minutes ago and I'm already having buyers remorse Lol! Living in Canada it is a tad bit more of a risk seeing how shipping is close to $24 if I were to want to exchange/refund. If I told myself a year ago that I was going to spend close to $200 on a single safety razor, I would think I was absolutely crazy, but it has happened. I just hope it turns out as good as I hope it's going to be.

After reading a lot of reviews and feedback on ATT, I finally pulled the trigger on an Atlas S1. I just purchased it 5 minutes ago and I'm already having buyers remorse Lol! Living in Canada it is a tad bit more of a risk seeing how shipping is close to $24 if I were to want to exchange/refund. If I told myself a year ago that I was going to spend close to $200 on a single safety razor, I would think I was absolutely crazy, but it has happened. I just hope it turns out as good as I hope it's going to be.

Have no fear, the S1 has been almost universally rated as very smooth and efficient. The S2 has some folks saying it's a bit rough on the skin, but I have no recollection of anyone complaining about the S1.

You have chosen well :thumbup:

I'm currently using a r41 and a Futur at lvl 5...Thinking about pulling the trigger on a 5-piece Atlas...I see that you can't mix the Slant heads with the non-slant closed and open heads on the ATT site...Question...in thinking about ordering a R1, R2, and H1 can I exchange a R2 for an S1 within the 30 day window?

I'm assuming you could exchange the plates, but you would have to buy a top cap to work with the S1 plate. The top cap for the slants is different due to the slant geometry.

I had 3-4 days' growth (don't ask) to mow down this AM. Loaded up my Colossus S2 with a Voskhod and, 2 passes later, a BBS. It wasn't quite as smooth and comfortable as the S2 usually is for me, but I attribute that more to the blade than the heavy growth. For some reason, Voskhods (which I love in other razors) aren't quite as smooth for me in the S2 head as they are in my other razors. Astra SPs and Blue Labs are much better in the S2, at least when it comes to my face.

So this week I performed an experiment over three successive days (Monday - Tuesday - today) with my 3 slant razors (ATT Atlas S1, iKon Slant w/teflon coating, Merkur 39C). My blade was a Polsilver and shaving cream was ToBS Avacado.

In terms of smoothness, I would rank them:

ATT Atlas S1 > iKon Slant > Merkur 39C

In terms of closeness and build quality, I would rank them the same way.

So it does appear that the ATT Atlas S1 slant razor is the one for me. :thumbup:

Finally received my order from ATT today after close to 2 weeks (since I live in Canada). I purchased the Atlas S1 razor and it is one beautiful razor. I had one question for you guys, do all the handles have rounded bottoms? My only gripe about the razor and it is very minor, is I think it would be just a bit more comfortable if it had a flat bottom oppose it it being slightly rounded (for those of us who put their pinky finger under the end of the handle). This is obviously a non-issue for those who don't do that. I haven't shaved with the razor yet, I plan to very soon, so I might be jumping the gun on this conclusion.

Other than this, the razor looks and feels beautiful!

Finally received my order from ATT today after close to 2 weeks (since I live in Canada). I purchased the Atlas S1 razor and it is one beautiful razor. I had one question for you guys, do all the handles have rounded bottoms? My only gripe about the razor and it is very minor, is I think it would be just a bit more comfortable if it had a flat bottom oppose it it being slightly rounded (for those of us who put their pinky finger under the end of the handle). This is obviously a non-issue for those who don't do that. I haven't shaved with the razor yet, I plan to very soon, so I might be jumping the gun on this conclusion.

Other than this, the razor looks and feels beautiful!
Try shaving with it for a bit, since the good news is that you have 30 days to exchange it if you don't like it. For me, the Atlas is just a tiny bit too short, but that's just me, and I have XL hands.

Top Bottom