What's new

A DE beginner's tale

I know most wouldn't recommend them to a novice, but I started de shaving with Feather blades in a Feather razor about 2 weeks ago. Like you I did massive research focused on mild razors. The Feather kept popping up. It seemed the greatest criticism wasn't that it performed poorly, but that it consistently gave great shaves without much effort. In other words, it was boring. To Mild.

My original intention was to buy a Feather Popular (15.00) as my intro to de shaving. If I didn't enjoy it, it wasn't a significant financial loss.
A NOS Feather razor, a No. 1 from Japan (1950's?), came up on the BST. Had to join the forum to buy it! Has worked out very well. One pass good for 98% BBS. Can't get better than that.

The No. 1 is all aluminum, very light. I have to be conscious not to use pressure. Very good for learning good habits. I am extremely glad Feather was my first razor and blade.
I'm going to fool around with the vintage Gillettes I've bought since, but I'm pretty sure there is an AS-D2 in my future.

Mark

Hi Mark - and 50s Feather?! - How cool is that, congrats! - As for the mildness of the Feather, well, to be honest I can almost agree that maybe some time down the line I would want to experiment with something more dangerous. If so I will also, like you, take a stab at vintage razors. Where would be the right spot to find these? - For now I just utterly enjoy that I can get my technique in order without the risk of dying on my bathroom floor from blood loss :w00t:

AS-D2,
for consistent fair pricing, description, etc., the BST on this forum is good. eBay can be good for expanded selection, with some cautions. Look for clear and multiple pictures, good feedback, reasonable pricing. Vintage Gillettes are very popular, but some sellers want a premium. You have to watch for a few weeks sometimes to get a feel for the market.

Gillete "Slim" adjustables are a good place to start. From mild to wild in one well built razor at a reasonable price. Hard shopping and patience and you should be able to find a very good example for 25-35 dollars. Depending on your birth year, you may be able to find one made in the year and quarter of the year of your birth. Kinda cool. I bought a birth year/quarter Slim for 25.00 in 95% condition. Only defect is the paint is missing off the adjustment knob. Took a while to find one in that condition and price, but they are out there. Amazing that this razor is 54 years old. What year were you born?

And the hunt is part of the fun!

I forgot to say that I admire your methodology. You had a problem, threw more money at it!
Bravo!

Mark

Thanks for the support! - Yes I am never afraid to burn money and save the regrets for later...

I'm a '65 so it should be possible. My other problem is that I am very impatient but fingers crossed...!:thumbup:

Cartridges remove all the user control. Makes for quick but lousy shaves for me, or a lot of work or a decent (not great) one.

Switching the DE means being 16 again and learning to shave all over again for all intents and purposes, although it should be faster this time around.

Once you get your techinque developed to the point shaving is comfortable, you will get closer and more comfortable shaves with less effort than cartridges, I think. The main points are angle control, especially in areas like the chin or jawline, and VERY light pressure.

Enjoy your shaves -- for the first time in my life I look forward to shaving, and I'm old enough I can't get a birth quarter Fatboy....

Peter

Good points, Peter psfred,

I definitely agree on the fact that DE shaving gives much better shaves once you've gotten the hang of it. I think I am getting the ever so slowly.

As regards carts I must say though that they have never failed me! Always DFS with no effort at all, easy and fine. But without the old school feel and machinery coolness, definitely. And down the line, as said, even better shaves.

Happy days/Peter

Cartridges remove all the user control. Makes for quick but lousy shaves for me, or a lot of work or a decent (not great) one.

Switching the DE means being 16 again and learning to shave all over again for all intents and purposes, although it should be faster this time around.

Once you get your techinque developed to the point shaving is comfortable, you will get closer and more comfortable shaves with less effort than cartridges, I think. The main points are angle control, especially in areas like the chin or jawline, and VERY light pressure.

Enjoy your shaves -- for the first time in my life I look forward to shaving, and I'm old enough I can't get a birth quarter Fatboy....

Peter

Top Bottom