🪒🗓️365 Shaves 2023🗓️🪒

Friday 29th December, shave #363

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Palmolive Stick, made into a puck
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: Rockwell 6S R5, Al Handle, Astra SP #8
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Balm

Used the Palmolive for a change, plus a few drops of glycerine. Love the authentic scent! The in-shave performance is very good, and I got a comfortable DFS. The post-shave tends to be dry with this (though not as much as ARKO), and I think the glycerine helps.

I only bought 2 this year and was gifted a Proraso Green cream, now I have 17 soaps but would really like to get below 10. I don't know if it is appropriate to discuss this on B&B but suddenly I feel I have way too much stuff and not enough time to use it all.
Either I am having an epiphany or a breakdown, not sure which.

I mostly get "backup disorder", which is not quite the same as the "buy and try them all" version. If I like something, I'll often try to buy spares before the whatever-it-is inevitably disappears.

Successes: a saute pan, comfortable trainers, an early capture of remaindered 2-in-1 Balm — and loads of DE blades, of course.

Fails: Spare ARKOs, cheap Chinese TTOs that I liked circa 2020, stuff to tide me over Covid.

As a result I certainly have more than 1000 DE blades that I'd call "very good", and a bunch of "not so bad" that I haven't counted recently.

I only need one blade a week. I also did the arithmetic, and it wasn't pretty.

Using your best stuff first would actually be reasonable. "Gather ye rosebuds" and so on.

Last edited:
The great thing is @Mike M that you can also trade, so any of those unwanted soaps can be converted into wanted gear. And there is the comraderie to support each other in achieving this.

But you are also welcome to drop in every quarter to say how you are doing without participating of course. We have a few that are “In from home” :001_smile .

And I get it. I have too much gear too (even cancelled an order for another razor earlier this week - actually felt really good!).

And now we know so we can support and cheer!

Cheers,

Guido

How many people know this!? Cancelling an order feels even better than ordering it!
I know sounds counterintuitive doesn’t it! Tells me how bad my ADs are actually! In hindsight I just wanted to buy something. I should have gone for the Blackbird, but that would trigger non-buyers remorse which sometimes is even worse than buyers-remorse.

Either way: it felt great to now concentrate on what I have rather than what’s next!

Date30.12.2023
365 daily shaves
364/365
DecemBOAR27/31
DEcember30/31
Lasta’s Blade Stash11/32

RazorBladeBrush
Lambda AthenaRK Stainless (2)Omega Pro 10098
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Barrister + Mann Leviathan
Cold splash
Aftershave
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality / My process
8/10
(~20m)
9.5/10
(Almost clean)
EffectivenessComfort / Blade condition
8.75/10
(BBS-)
11/10
(GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary. Second last shave of 2023 and I chose one of the finest razors in my collection. And it delivered on that reputation. Excellent start of New Years weekend. The Schick G1 joined the fun for an excellent near BBS head shave too.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

Shave 364/365
Saturday December 30, 2023
Brush: Semogue SOC Cherry
Lather: Tabac
Razor: Henson AL13 Mild
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum

IMG_6143.jpg

364 of 364
SOTD: 12/30/2023

Razor: Blackland Titanium Blackbird
Blade: Perma-Sharp , 3rd use
Brush: Rudy Vey Persian Jar - Shavemac 2 Band Silvertip 2 Band Silvertip Badger
Bowl: Mugseco Custom Lather Bowl Bowl
Soap: MdC Rose Puck
Aftershave: Saponificio Varesino Tundra Artica Aftershave
Additional Care: Dirty Bird Brush Scuttle
Additional Care: Dickenson’s WH
1703941556444.png

I mostly get "backup disorder", which is not quite the same as the "buy and try them all" version. If I like something, I'll often try to buy spares before the whatever-it-is inevitably disappears.
I too have suffered from this. Sometimes it was to get to the free shipping on an order, sometimes because the (sale) price was very good and sometimes without an apparent reason.

Unfortunately some of my preferences have changed and I have backups on products that I like but not as much as what I currently use.

Since I usually stay over at a friend’s house one night a week, that is where the ”surplus“ often gets used. That and sometimes when I travel.

My aftershave preference has gone to SV which I usually use at home and often when travelling because of the convenient container. This leaves an unopened 400 ml Floid Vigoroso, unopened Fine Latigo, unopened Fine American Blend, unopened Grand Bay Bay Rum, and unopened Speick. I am currently finishing my last bottle of Fine Fresh Vetiver at my friend’s house.

Since I have setttled on MdC Rose (334 uses and still going on this Brain Bowl with another on the shelf) I have surplus soaps. I’m currently using Cella at a friend’s and the last of my Tabac tallow in my travel kit. I did include my last tallow MWF in a brush sale. Still unopened is a D R Harris Arlington puck.

Selling surplus is an option, but based on my (only 2 sales), the cost of shipping makes it not worthwhile Unless I could sell it all for one shipping cost.

Hardware is another story and that too gets used at my friend’s house.

@Roedeer , you are not alone.

Shave #364

Razor: Supply Adjustable
Blade: Supply Black (12)
Brush: Omega 10049
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper
Pre-shave: Stirling unscented soap - Proraso green cream
Lather: Proraso Blue
Aftershave: Bootleggers Perfecto Maduro
EdT: Cuba Orange

IMG_3097.jpeg

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
IMG_20231230_222439.jpg

365 shaves in 2023
Shave#363 of 365 (100% 2 left)
SV Saturday

Razor:
Muhle Rocca R94
Blade: Gillette Sharpedge(15)
Brush: Muhle Rocca R94 STF
Soap: SV Opuntia
A/S: Proraso Green
Post Shave: Proraso Green Balm, Nivea Hyaluron Gel

Tonight for SV Saturday out came the Opuntia and of course I decided on the Rocca set up as I seem to be favouring this more and more for my "quality" shaves. As I mentioned last night I am very happy with my gear and many of my soaps though I still think I have too much everything. The Gillette Sharpedge is starting to lose some of its effectiveness at 15 shaves and I noticed a little extra roughness tonight when I was finished, but not enough yet to bin the blade.

Saturday 30th December, shave #364, almost done

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Opuntia
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Astra SP #7
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave

I also used Opuntia for SV Saturday. I like this scent better than Cubebe. Got a perfect bowl-lather, and the rest of the kit lived up to it with a fine near-BBS.

This year has been productive
I got a couple of new razors, and a few brushes.
I managed to find what creams /soaps I love, and rest has been used up. I still have a couple of them to go, but total number heas gone down. Same with blades (nuber of different blades has gone down, quantuty of good blades is steady on the rise)

31/12/2023
Total score for this years is
Shave 361/365 = 98.9041096% and I'm happy with the result, it's a good score
EJ 3One6
Nacet (7)
Simpson T3
TOBS Royal Forest
Dior Sauvage AS
IMG_20231225_060614.jpg

This is my favourite combination, it just works, it's smooth, it smells nice

Have a nice New Year party 🎉

Date31.12.2023
365 daily shaves
365/365
DecemBOAR28/31
DEcember31/31
Lasta’s Blade Stash11/32

RazorBladeBrush
Timeless Ti95 SCLRK Stainless (3)FNX Barber
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Barrister + Mann Leviathan
Cold splash
Aftershave
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality / My process
8/10
(~20m)
10/10
(Clean)
EffectivenessComfort / Blade condition
8/10
(DFS+)
11/10
(GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary. I could have been more effective during this shave, but shaving with my Ti95 is always extremely pleasurable. Smooth, comfortable, effective - a great way to kick off Sunday and the last day of 2023!

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave and Happy New Year to all!

Top Bottom