What's new

2nd round Soap Pass-Around

John and I live about a 1/2 mile apart so shipping should be fairly timely and reasonable. :thumbup:

Demaskee - Box Originated
.soap. - (11 - Beer Soap Brewing Co: Italian Bergamont & Patchouli, 50 - Strop Shoppe: Black Tie)
Dantheman - (60 - Strop Shoppe: Baker Street, 74 - Tabac, 248 - MWF)
dgreene120 - (3 - Baier Body Boutique: Fireside, 235 - St. Charles Shave: Fairway, 322 - PannaCreme: Nostalgia)
austinantihipster - (5 - RazoRock: Nervous Wreck, 300 - Klar)
InNae - (321 - Queen Charlotte Soaps: Iced Key Limes)
SilentTuba - (206 - Pyrate Cove: Mandarin, 238 - RazoRock: Captain's Choice Bay Rum, 333 - Tiki Soap: The Captain)
lobomalo72 - (30 - Mystic Water: Windjammer, 99 - Crabtree & Evelyn: Nomad pre-reformulation)
dfoulk - (75 - Cella, 236 - Sir Irisch Moos, 269 - T&H Sandalwood)
mbkintner - (201 - Petal Pusher Fancies: Coconut, 203 - RazoRock: Fine American Blend, 250 - MWF)
CJames - (Unspecified LA Shaving Soap dontation from John at LASS)
MrSmith - (Unnumbered LA Shaving Soap: Spring Street, 218 - Jabonman: Ylang Ylang Pachuli Naranja)
Waldo_Phill - (202 - Petal Pusher Fancies: Oakmoss & Sage, 499 - LA Shaving Soap: Bespoke)
SaintAndrewsAlumnus - (252 - Queen Charlotte Shave: Vostok, 330 - Wet Shave Obsession: Bill the barber)
justadivebum - (253 - Strop Shoppe: Peppermint, 310 - Dapper Dragon: Cinnamon Bun, 379 - Maggards: Orange Menthol)
AndroiDad75 - (204 - RazoRock: Cumba Cheech, 399 - Art of Shaving: Lemon)
bach_rocks - (320 - TOBS: Lavender, 340: Tabac, 501 Rustic Shaving Soap: Sandalwood)
shubes - (26 - HTGAM: Pumpkin 22/7, 322 - Haslinger Schafmilch, 502 Petal Pusher Fancies: Briar)
jpmess - (97 - Valobra: Unscented)
jhadsell1883 - (231 - Petal Pusher Fancies: Ciderhouse-5, 503 - Saint Charles Shave: Dagger, 510 - RazoRock: The Freedberg)
oteixiera - In possession of the box
Brian G r a f s t r o m
pyro
mrlandpirate
calhoun1
Corsair66
Sploosh
tclobaugh
ReshoeUSAF
Demaskee

Guys, I think I am going to go over my 5 days, since I still have quite a few soaps left to review....hang in there, I hope you don't mind.

Guys, I think I am going to go over my 5 days, since I still have quite a few soaps left to review....hang in there, I hope you don't mind.

As long as you're posting reviews keep it as long as you need. That's what it's for. You taking longer is only bad if the box sits idle.

I'm loving the reviews, great job with this so far.

Last edited:
#343 - OK, never heard of this brand. Maybe boutique? I like those brands anyway, so let's have at it! Glycerin soap (just full disclosure and all), smell is faint as a puck, once you start to lather you get a start of floral, woods, complex....maybe even spice. I can't place the final scent they are going for. Maybe a take on patchouli?? It lathers really nice, and gives a nice, above average slickness, which is on par with most of the better glycerin brands out there. Scent not really for me...

#344 - Same brand and format (Glycerine). All in all, the base soap here is identical, I got a quick and easy lather, with an above average slickness. This one is strong on the pine smell to me, my first thought was pinesol (not a great thing for me). Once you start to bloom the soap it sends out more undertones of wood, and maybe citrus, but it is hard to tell. This company is into complex, and intriguing smells, someone out there is going to love the complexity.

Last edited by a moderator:
#248 - This is a VERY VERY popular maker that is quite honestly all over my shave den, as well as in the box. This is one of the scents I never really got to try, so I figured it would be the example of this vendor I would spin up. As with most of the scents from this vendor, in the container it is very subdued, but I expect something more to come up. It lathered super easy, as expected, and made oodles of very slick, very nice lather. No one can go wrong with anything from this company. As for the scent? I really can only call it "clean", or "sophisticated business man in a suit". I really don't have a way to describe it, just what I picture when I smell it. Just think nice clean crisp scent.

#205 - Never had anything from this brand, the scent is out of this world. This might be the best bay rum I have had my hands on out of the box scent wise. I looked it up to see if I might need to hoard some if it was limited, and found it to be one of the most reasonably priced pucks I have ever seen online! Interesting. Went to lather it up, and it did not disappoint, got a great amount of lather out of it with very little effort. I found the lather to be a touch below what I normally like (call it just average), so I guess every silver lining has a cloud. :D I really really like this, don't expect to get a chance to try it from the box...

#513 - I was worried with this one. It smelled great in the tin, but the scents listed, I thought "great, cherry coke in a shave". I know the brand, and own a couple (think well known and REALLY in the news lately on a lot of shaving boards). It lathered just as I would expect from this brand, and thankfully, the scent stayed as muted in the lather as it was in the container, not at all a soda explosion, more like bitter cherry, some woodiness, and a background of vanilla. It is actually a little more slick then I remember this brand being, I wonder if they improved their formula? I like this one a lot.

#514 - Color me confused. I opened the box a few days ago, and said "Oh, I am going to want this one". The smell out of the container is really nice. It's a popular brand that I have never owned (but have tried before). So I started to lather some up, and it lathered just like a dream, again, another really nice and slick soap, felt great on my hand. So what's my problem you ask?? The scent actually went a little duller for me, and something came forward that I am not sure I like, almost a little earthy? I am not sure why, it just was "off" to my nose. Oh well, I have other options in the box, and this one will NOT last long at all.

OK, so I am getting the box ready for transport. Here is what I am adding:

#287 - Small artisan that I found online, by reading the ingredients, most would say they wouldn't try it, but it lathers great, and is slick, and the scents are fantastic, so screw it. Also, I added from this vendor before and they went fast. This one is a nice summer scent that I go to a lot when not looking for freeze face.

#288 - Small artisan that I found online, by reading the ingredients, most would say they wouldn't try it, but it lathers great, and is slick, and the scents are fantastic, so screw it. Also, I added from this vendor before and they went fast. This is one of my go to "harvest" type scents, I hope someone will love it as much as me.

#289 - Basically THE MOST SOUGHT AFTER soap from a very very popular vendor. If it makes it past Brian (the next in the list) I will be shocked. Classic scent, lathers like a dream, slick as snot, need I say more??

My takes will be coming next.

And here is what I took:

#301 - Edwin Jagger - Sandalwood. Love that this was not even on my try list and it bloomed in the lather so well it won me over!

#205 - Genuine Ogallala Bay Rum - Amazing scent, and good all around soap, knew I would take it when I smelled it.

#513 - HTGAM - Cherry Sandalwood Vanilla - Just a great smelling soap, and I think this lathers better then my other HTGAM soaps.

And here is what I took:

#301 - Edwin Jagger - Sandalwood. Love that this was not even on my try list and it bloomed in the lather so well it won me over!

#205 - Genuine Ogallala Bay Rum - Amazing scent, and good all around soap, knew I would take it when I smelled it.

#513 - HTGAM - Cherry Sandalwood Vanilla - Just a great smelling soap, and I think this lathers better then my other HTGAM soaps.

Nice picks (and reviews), I'm glad you liked the HTGAM scent. The Ogallala was tied for my 3rd pick for a while but I think it would make it into an order if I ever need to buy soap again...

And here is what I took:

As far as your reviews go they were outstanding. I recently looked forward to opening this thread and reading them. I'm really glad that you decided to try many of the soaps. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is thank you for doing such a great job with your turn.

As far as your takes go. Really nice choices as well.

I threw the Ogallala in a while back for the hell of it only because I really love the scent. The bay rum and strong orange scent go so well together. It's not the best performer in the box but it's not bad either, I'd say about average here. But it's only like a $4 soap so I though it would go quickly as a throw in to someone's takes. So thanks for taking that one I hope you enjoy it. This might be a nice throw in item for others when placing an order to get you to the point of free shipping. I really liked the scent of the Edwin Jagger sandlewood one as well. Not a sandlewood type scent at all but a really clean fresh scent that I did enjoy.

Great reviews and great picks.

Glad to see some love for EJ. I'm always impressed when I lather their soap up and I love their Lime & Pomegranates scent. (and it didn't irritate my face like many lines do)

Thanks everyone. I want to make sure everyone understands, I did not try EVERY soap in the box. There were a few from a vendor that I know and love, so I tried one, to give you how I felt about them. Then there was the birthday soap, and that is all I will say. Also, the sample only's I tried in the first pass around, so I let them sit for someone that still needs to give them a go, and boy, will they be enjoyed. Looking through my cabinet while putting the new soaps away I realize I may have a PIF or two in the near future. If I do, it will be for this group first, unless there are no takers. I have learned a bunch from all of you, and that is worth more then anything in the box.

I've only tried a few of the EJ branded cremes they sent with a warranty replacement head. Sadly they opened up during shipment so I only got a muted scent and performance. But the balm they also had in there was nice.

Top Bottom