What's new

2nd round Soap Pass-Around

Some vintage Yardley would be an awesome addition as a sample only soap. I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one interested in trying that one either.

Well, you know how I feel, with my vintage old spice already in a "special Sundays" rotation. :)

Orlando

Well, you know how I feel, with my vintage old spice already in a "special Sundays" rotation. :)

Orlando

You can put that in a closed jar with some old spice cologne open next to it and it'll pick up some of the old spice scent from the cologne. I did that recently with the old spice soap sample you sent my way a while back. I have yet to use it since I've rescented it but the scent is there and it's much stronger now.

I'd use it today but I have some new soap samples to try.

But as with all soap YMMV. I know I will include a puck of my current favorite

silenttuba; I'm glad you're going to give all the soaps a shot, whether they interest you or not. When I had the box, I made a point of trying something from every manufacturer in the box, picking the scent I liked most if there was a choice

I'm going to be blunt in my posting also. The quotes above are what I believe this box was about, or at least what I joined the pass around for. To expose others to what I like, love, cherish, put on a pedestal, believe is the king of soap etc etc. YMMV is perfect for this. Just because the quality of soaps isn't to ones liking, it doesn't mean someone else may get the box and be up to their ears in lathery goodness in soaps they've never experienced.

I put in my adds to the box based on what I liked, not what I felt someone was going to take from the box. I'm honored everytime someone takes my soaps from the box. Whether it would be on the first pass or it became a birthday soap.

To all who are left on the list, enjoy!

Last edited:
I think I will bring some objective perspective
to the box as I only started wet shaving
in August. If I receive the box on a long
weekend, I'll be able to go through the
entire box (long weekends being four days
for me). We shall see.

I think I will bring some objective perspective
to the box as I only started wet shaving
in August. If I receive the box on a long
weekend, I'll be able to go through the
entire box (long weekends being four days
for me). We shall see.

Lather away my friend! lather away!

I'm going to be blunt in my posting also. The quotes above are what I believe this box was about, or at least what I joined the pass around for. To expose others to what I like, love, cherish, put on a pedestal, believe is the king of soap etc etc. YMMV is perfect for this. Just because the quality of soaps isn't to ones liking, it doesn't mean someone else may get the box and be up to their ears in lathery goodness in soaps they've never experienced.

I put in my adds to the box based on what I liked, not what I felt someone was going to take from the box. I'm honored everytime someone takes my soaps from the box. Whether it would be on the first pass or it became a birthday soap.

To all who are left on the list, enjoy!

I agree with you. The goal of the box was for people to add soaps that they really enjoyed. However unfortunately this is not what always happened in the past. If you happen to like some obscure soap that might not be as popular them by all means feel free to add it to the box so that others may share your fondness of it. However, I believe that some didn't do that and took the pass around as an opportunity to swap out some soaps that they purchased or acquired in some way and didn't happen to care for. We weren't getting reviews for a while and the thread wasn't getting comments with any regularity. In posting honest reviews often and paying closer attention to this thread I believe it's where it needs to be again. I can tell that people are once again taking an interest in this thread and that it's back on track now.

Sure some have faults, but the majority of the soaps in the box are actually pretty decent. I tried almost everything when it was my turn and even with the ones that have been in there a while I found many to be quite nice. I recommend to all to try as much as you can and give us some great honest reviews. You don't have to shave with all of them but you can tell a lot about a soap by just lathering it. I look forward to opening this thread so that I can read these reviews. Getting the box and picking four soaps to try kind of leaves a lot on the table. The more you try the more you'll get out of this.

Demaskee - Box Originated
.soap. - (11 - Beer Soap Brewing Co: Italian Bergamont & Patchouli, 50 - Strop Shoppe: Black Tie)
Dantheman - (60 - Strop Shoppe: Baker Street, 74 - Tabac, 248 - MWF)
dgreene120 - (3 - Baier Body Boutique: Fireside, 235 - St. Charles Shave: Fairway, 322 - PannaCreme: Nostalgia)
austinantihipster - (5 - RazoRock: Nervous Wreck, 300 - Klar)
InNae - (321 - Queen Charlotte Soaps: Iced Key Limes)
SilentTuba - (206 - Pyrate Cove: Mandarin, 238 - RazoRock: Captain's Choice Bay Rum, 333 - Tiki Soap: The Captain)
lobomalo72 - (30 - Mystic Water: Windjammer, 99 - Crabtree & Evelyn: Nomad pre-reformulation)
dfoulk - (75 - Cella, 236 - Sir Irisch Moos, 269 - T&H Sandalwood)
mbkintner - (201 - Petal Pusher Fancies: Coconut, 203 - RazoRock: Fine American Blend, 250 - MWF)
CJames - (Unspecified LA Shaving Soap dontation from John at LASS)
MrSmith - (Unnumbered LA Shaving Soap: Spring Street, 218 - Jabonman: Ylang Ylang Pachuli Naranja)
Waldo_Phill - (202 - Petal Pusher Fancies: Oakmoss & Sage, 499 - LA Shaving Soap: Bespoke)
SaintAndrewsAlumnus - (252 - Queen Charlotte Shave: Vostok, 330 - Wet Shave Obsession: Bill the barber)
justadivebum - (253 - Strop Shoppe: Peppermint, 310 - Dapper Dragon: Cinnamon Bun, 379 - Maggards: Orange Menthol)
AndroiDad75 - (204 - RazoRock: Cumba Cheech, 399 - Art of Shaving: Lemon)
bach_rocks - (320 - TOBS: Lavender, 340: Tabac, 501 Rustic Shaving Soap: Sandalwood)
shubes - (26 - HTGAM: Pumpkin 22/7, 322 - Haslinger Schafmilch, 502 Petal Pusher Fancies: Briar)
jpmess - (97 - Valobra: Unscented)
jhadsell1883 - (231 - Petal Pusher Fancies: Ciderhouse-5, 503 - Saint Charles Shave: Dagger, 510 - RazoRock: The Freedberg)
oteixiera - In possession of the box
Brian G r a f s t r o m
pyro
mrlandpirate
calhoun1
Corsair66
Sploosh
tclobaugh
Demaskee

I'm liking the feedback. I do think this box is more beneficial for someone who has not had as much experience with a lot of soaps. Also, the likelyhood of finding something in there that is really unique or unheard of, and also really awesome is slim. Think about it, if something is really great, it's going to get steam on this forum pretty quickly. If it is really expensive or exclusive it's not likely to make it's way into the box. Although there have been a few exceptions to this (Irisch Moos, MdC, XPEC).

Also, don't be afraid to be boring; while I enjoy a lot of artisan soaps, one thing I always like is when someone contributes a classic (MWF, Tabac, 3Ts, AoS, Cella, etc...). These tend to get picked up relatively quickly, are proven solid performers and you'd be surprised how many people have not tried them. To this day I still haven't tried Cella or AoS :scared:.

If you don't have a ton of experience and haven't found a soap you truly love yet, and are struggling with what to add, I'd prefer you go with one of the classics over an artisan you're taking a chance on.

Additionally, one of the more polarizing things with soaps is scent. I love heavy woodsy scents (Patchouli, Sandalwood, Sage, Cedar) and also crisp mentholated scents. I'm not big on floral, others are the opposite; as we say, YMMV. In spite of this, I think we can all agree that we would not be super put-off if we opened a box that had scents in all of these specific areas. However, a few soaps have made it into the box that had, an ahem...unique odor. Please don't stretch too far out of the bounds of the mainstream in this respect. I can think of three soaps right off the top of my head that are still kicking around in the box, not because they are bad performers, but because their scents do not lend themselves to mass appeal.

I'll go back to my original message in the very first post. If you truly love the soap you are adding, someone else will probably love it as well.

Thanks again to everyone who has made this pass a success. 95% of you are doing exactly what this pass was intended for (and then some). The reviews have been better this round and the pics make it even better.

OK, so here is my first set of reviews. I decided to start with brands I have not yet, or no longer own, for one reason or another. These are also soaps that did not peak my interest on the scent test, but with respect to the box and it's process, I plan to test most of the soaps.

#511: This is a brand I did not know about, in what I would consider a great scent for a person that tends to lean towards the flower scents. It whipped up fast and easy, and though it started out as a very mild scent it blossomed into a stronger version of the same flower, which I was impressed with. I would say this soap has an average slickness to it, which puts it in a group with a lot of other great soaps you could buy. I don't think picking this would steer you wrong if you were more of a fan of the scent then I was.

#500 - Another brand I know nothing about. When I opened this one up it had very little scent, but I think it was citrus in origin. As for the soap, I swear I am looking at beach sand with elmers glue holding it together. Odd....Anyway, I over did the water on this one I think, it took me a lot of work to get it to lather up for me. Once I had what I thought was a good enough lather I went to put it on my hand, and it seemed to break (couldn't stay thick) very easily. I also noticed that it seemed to actually lose scent the more lathered it became. I would probably try this again if it was something I was very interested in.

#323 - Very well known brand, just not a scent I was fond of. I have used this soap brand in the past, and over time have decided it performed slightly above average compared to other soaps I own. There was a thread in shaving soaps the other day, something like "I want to smell like grampa", we sir, I have found the soap for you! :D This soap lathers up very easily for me, and it has above average coverage and slickness. If it didn't turn my nose off, it would be something I might think to keep.

#301 - Here is one I have heard of plenty, and just never purchased or sampled before. It is a scent that I am a fan of, but this one seems to be very faint. Not sure if the puck has just been in the box for a while, or if it is ment to be a very mellow version of this type of scent. As I lathered it, the scent actually really started to come out, and it made me realize that I should have never decided not to even try this. That being said, I had a very thin lather, not sure if I over watered, or maybe my arms were just getting tired? LOL Anyway, I may actually try this one again another day before the box moves on.

That is it for now, hope you enjoy my reviews, I am no expert.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, don't be afraid to be boring; while I enjoy a lot of artisan soaps, one thing I always like is when someone contributes a classic (MWF, Tabac, 3Ts, AoS, Cella, etc...). These tend to get picked up relatively quickly, are proven solid performers and you'd be surprised how many people have not tried them. To this day I still haven't tried Cella or AoS :scared:.

+1

I have been a traditional wetshaver for more than 30 years, having started out in the way I should go as a boy with the example of my father. This is my second pass with the box, I am one of the fellows whose first exposure to Cella and Tabac hard soap came from interacting with the box, and I chose both as one of my picks. The box has exceeded my expectations on both passes. I am reminded of the old nursery rhyme "Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue."

OK, round two...

#321 - I have always felt that cologne scents are very much a personal thing. One of my favorite soaps in the world is made to smell just like Drakkar. That being said, this one is a cologne that I never enjoyed, and I just couldn't get past that to sample the soap. It is made by the fragrance maker, so it wouldn't be a review of a place I could get another scent from.

#41 - This one is from a vendor that I have sampled in the past. I am not sure if it is because it has been around a while but it has almost no scent left to it that I can discern. It lathered quickly with very little work, and was above average in slickness.

#251 - I have one of this vendor's soaps in my regular rotation. This one has a slight bit of menthol in it, and is a citrus scent. Boy does it come trough, I think it is great. As I said, I have one in my rotation, so I knew it would whip up a nice lather and be nice and slick on my skin, the menthol affected it a touch, but not enough to stop someone from taking it. I did not want to take this one at it is the only of the vendor in the box and I want someone else to enjoy a new treat.

#237 - A pretty well known vendor, although not one of the top few that are always talked about on the board. This one is there take on a bay rum. Unlike some of their other soaps, this one has plenty of nose in it, and you really get the scent from container to face. I always seem to overdo the water with this brand, not sure if they just take way less water, or what....I cant tell you how it was slickness wise because I made a snotty runny mess, and didn't want to take more soap just to try to fix it. Maybe a good candidate for some, I just have a hard time dialing it in.

#200 - The surprise of the day. I have a few from this brand, but never really thought I would like this scent. I am a bay rum guy, but this one is supposed to be more over the top with one note out of it. I can tell you though, it's like if you could order bay rum as a drink, and then ordering it with extra fruit garnish. I really liked how the smell blossomed when I lathered it. It is an above average performer, slick and stable, a great choice, which I may be thinking twice about.

Anyway, let me know if you want me to continue, I don't want to do this if my reviews are not up to snuff for you all.

OK, today, we get one soap, sorry.... :)

#76 (vintage soap) - After a 24 hour rehydrating of some shavings, I whipped this up tonight. It is FOR SURE a tallow soap, thick and mega slick, this is a soap anyone would love to use everyday. It is very similar to my 60s vintage Old Spice puck, I really think other then the scents, even the average soaps back then were really good quality. This soap has no real scent left, that is the sad part. It has a super mellow soap smell, any fragrance that was added is long long gone, what a shame. Some people are into this type of thing (me being one), and when you get a soap where most of the scent is gone, it is kind of a let down. Anyone looking for a great, unscented tallow soap should grab this, and soak it in water for a day, then throw it in a wooden bowl and enjoy the heck out of it. Great add whoever put this in there.

OK, today, we get one soap, sorry.... :)

#76 (vintage soap) - After a 24 hour rehydrating of some shavings, I whipped this up tonight. It is FOR SURE a tallow soap, thick and mega slick, this is a soap anyone would love to use everyday. It is very similar to my 60s vintage Old Spice puck, I really think other then the scents, even the average soaps back then were really good quality. This soap has no real scent left, that is the sad part. It has a super mellow soap smell, any fragrance that was added is long long gone, what a shame. Some people are into this type of thing (me being one), and when you get a soap where most of the scent is gone, it is kind of a let down. Anyone looking for a great, unscented tallow soap should grab this, and soak it in water for a day, then throw it in a wooden bowl and enjoy the heck out of it. Great add whoever put this in there.

I too was impressed with this addition to the box. I knew not everyone would be into it, but those that are, would really be into it. I'm glad to hear it performs well. I have heard of people adding scents to older soaps with EOs or FOs. If it makes it back to me and I'm able to get the same lather as you I may have to try that out.

I am getting excited! I am 4th in line now. I have decided what I am going to put into the box and am excited to see what others have to say about my adds when the time comes.

I am gonna have to go back into the thread and compile the reviews and see what I am most anxious for!

Top Bottom