What's new

2024 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Year of MacGyver

Still in...
SOTDTIBBFT9.jpg

Ti Blackbird / Perma-Sharp / Frozen Tundra / C&H STF XL / Proraso Green

@muzichead

I'll try to clarify my above comment.

I'm not familiar with Blackbird line of razors. I know they are not Vintage and thought maybe they had a "vintage" or "distressed patina" line of razors.

The "You still have to make it through March!" comment was just noting we are are only halfway through the month. I thought you were picking a razor to use in April, I misread your post. By the sound of it, you are using the Blackbird to get you through this month.

That said, by my calculations, we are over 20% though the Sabbatical.

Still in.

@muzichead

I'll try to clarify my above comment.

I'm not familiar with Blackbird line of razors. I know they are not Vintage and thought maybe they had a "vintage" or "distressed patina" line of razors.

The "You still have to make it through March!" comment was just noting we are are only halfway through the month. I thought you were picking a razor to use in April, I misread your post. By the sound of it, you are using the Blackbird to get you through this month.

That said, by my calculations, we are over 20% though the Sabbatical.

Still in.
No need to clarify, if you go back and look at my post you will see at the end of it.....:lol:.....which means it was a joke!! As to the Blackbird, it is the only razor in my cabinet, there is no other, hence I will be using it the rest of this month, next month, and so on as it's the only razor I own and only razor I can use to shave otherwise I'd be growing a beard... That's all...

No need to clarify, if you go back and look at my post you will see at the end of it.....:lol:.....which means it was a joke!! As to the Blackbird, it is the only razor in my cabinet, there is no other, hence I will be using it the rest of this month, next month, and so on as it's the only razor I own and only razor I can use to shave otherwise I'd be growing a beard... That's all...
The only reason I keep my other razors around is nostalgia. They are hard to sell or giveaway as they have memories attached to them and I know they will be difficult to obtain in the future if I ever wanted another. Once day I'll take the plunge and purge the bulk of razors and brushes. Once the kids pick what they want, I'll keep a couple special pieces of hardware, sell the rest and buy a watch or two.

I'm a one razor user too.

The only reason I keep my other razors around is nostalgia. They are hard to sell or giveaway as they have memories attached to them and I know they will be difficult to obtain in the future if I ever wanted another. Once day I'll take the plunge and purge the bulk of razors and brushes. Once the kids pick what they want, I'll keep a couple special pieces of hardware, sell the rest and buy a watch or two.

I'm a one razor user too.
I'm pretty much a minimalist and the Blackbird gives me such a great shave it was the only razor I tended to pick up to use so the rest had to go to someone that would actually use them... That is why its the only razor I own...

A regular Blackbird, forty years from now.
I learned on a woodworking forum that some hardware store chisels I purchased forty years ago are now vintage and desirable. It was sort of awkward to admit that I purchased them new...:lol:

I have several razors that are now unobtainable in the primary market, but are likely to be available for quite some time on the secondary markets. So even things that are not longer made... can likely be found on the secondary market.

I understand RAD ... I splurged on an ATT razor one day and then learned about straights. I purchased a couple from whipped dog and a flea bay special. Some day I might want a different one but it is going to take me multiple lifetimes to wear out the ones that I have.

Hi,

Yep. Vintage stuff. I use that Fasan daily. And I have others. My family hand-me-downs and some other open comb Gillettes which I thought long and hard about before buying so I could use them during OCtober.

When it comes to tools, my dad was a toolmaker and I have all his toolboxes and even a few machines. All vintage, for sure. Some of which was his dad's, who was also a toolmaker. I can't really tell what was grandpa's from what might be quite vintage which dad picked up along the way.

My favorite is this really thick cherry wood workbench with wrought iron support legs which came from the late 1800s. Dad got it out of one of the machine shops he worked in which went out of business in the mid 1950s when the owner passed away. The top is soaked in oil, which you'd expect would happen in a machine shop.

My own stock in trade, electronics and specifically radio design, has what we'd consider to be seriously antique equipment. But, in that world, antique is....last year. :p

Stan

My own stock in trade, electronics and specifically radio design, has what we'd consider to be seriously antique equipment. But, in that world, antique is....last year. :p
I think of electronics in three eras. Valves (tubes), discrete solid state (I can solder in new components), and surface mount (much harder to solder at home). I suppose there may be a fourth era where the functionality is in the firmware/software instead of hardware.

In keeping with the theme... the earlier eras are much easier to MacGyver. :biggrin1:

I just wanted to flag this in case anyone has missed it:

This is a B&B group buy and therefore allowed under GRUYERE rules and guidelines.

Cheers,

Guido

I think of electronics in three eras. Valves (tubes), discrete solid state (I can solder in new components), and surface mount (much harder to solder at home). I suppose there may be a fourth era where the functionality is in the firmware/software instead of hardware.

In keeping with the theme... the earlier eras are much easier to MacGyver. :biggrin1:
Hi,

The fourth era is tossing everything into a chip or a few chips to form a set. Not always surface mount, but more often than not it is. Surface mount is simply a way to (a) reduce the number of plated thru holes in the board and (b) to make all the components smaller. Plus, we can put components on the rear of the board as easily as the front with SMD. Harder to do with pin-thru-hole.

I've been into SMD since 1983 at IBM up until today. Everything went thru a shrinking process. If I look at just resistors, and one value, say 47 ohms, I have 30 different sizes of what amounts to the same thing. My drawers and containers of discreet components take up a lot of room. I never know what physical size of component value I might need next.

And several soldering stations to handle them all. Plus a couple of magnifying lamps and a 2x-50x microscope to see what it is I'm trying to solder.... :p

Anyway, the SMD chipset is what's used in Software Defined Radio, which is pretty popular these days. Some, such as receivers, are in a USB dongle. And, as long as you don't need high performance out of it, it works well enough. You control things on a computer screen.

Stan

This is a B&B group buy and therefore allowed under GRUYERE rules and guidelines.

Cheers,

Guido
Thank you for sharing this Guido! I was just getting ready to share this here. By no means to tempt anyone here, but to share the allowed automatic exception. I know the year I successfully completed the year long sabbatical, the automatic exceptions were very helpful to me!

For those that have yet to experience a @Rudy Vey custom brush, they are fantastic!

Great to check in here from time to time. Always love reading this thread! 😃🤙😎

Thank you for sharing this Guido! I was just getting ready to share this here. By no means to tempt anyone here, but to share the allowed automatic exception. I know the year I successfully completed the year long sabbatical, the automatic exceptions were very helpful to me!

For those that have yet to experience a @Rudy Vey custom brush, they are fantastic!

Great to check in here from time to time. Always love reading this thread! 😃🤙😎
Hi,

Excellent! Yes, the entire group can buy one and Stay In! :)

Stan

Cheers,

Guido
Enablers, that what you are. 😜. I’ll pass. This defeats the purpose for me in joining a restraint. I think I’m satisfied with what I have.

Top Bottom