What's new

2015 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Fall GRU Fall (GRU-Fall)

Sorry about the phone Kev.

The good part about phones breaking is you get a new one. I just had this happen to me and picked up an LG G2 and couldn't be happier so far (only one day in, we'll see).

#11 still in. Phone has occupied my shopping energy so no temptations.

Number nine still here. Still finding way enough different products for fun shaves, but August is seeming to go on forever.

Mr. Kevdogg: bury the doused phone in raw rice. So I have heard. Wicks out the moisture, supposedly.

#12 still in. Had a great shave this morning with three day's growth from the weekend. No temptations currently, but I think I'll order the following when the restraint has ended:

- Fine Fresh Vetiver. I have a sample, yet I seem to use this more often recently than my full size aftershaves. I have Fine Clean Vetiver, and L'Orange Noir, but I need to get a full size bottle of the Fresh Vetiver.
- Ikon Shavecraft Tech - Based on some reviews in the double edge razor forum and my love of a good aggressive razor I'm going to have to spring for one of these.

#12 still in. Had a great shave this morning with three day's growth from the weekend. No temptations currently, but I think I'll order the following when the restraint has ended:

- Fine Fresh Vetiver. I have a sample, yet I seem to use this more often recently than my full size aftershaves.

How is the longevity on the Fine Fresh Vetiver? I have some of the American Blend, but it doesn't seem to stick around very long to my nose.

How is the longevity on the Fine Fresh Vetiver? I have some of the American Blend, but it doesn't seem to stick around very long to my nose.

The Fresh Vetiver drys down to a fairly subtle smell - and it hangs with me for about four hours or so. However, the American Blend sample I have is much stronger, and lasts practically all day for me. Perhaps it's my skin type as it tends to be on the oily side which may explain why the scent lasts for longer periods.

$uploadfromtaptalk1441057246271.jpg

Well here is what got me out. What to try first?

Sorry about the phone Kev.

The good part about phones breaking is you get a new one. I just had this happen to me and picked up an LG G2 and couldn't be happier so far (only one day in, we'll see).

#11 still in. Phone has occupied my shopping energy so no temptations.
No new one here. It came back to life enough to use. Today i Had to take my puppy in for emergency surgery. She is reading well but needless to say I am below broke.

Still in restraint.

#1 still here!!

I know it's been a few weeks since I posted any pics, but I finally had a good excuse - my wife's birthday present to me from July!!

I was saving them for the first day of school and they didn't disappoint at all. Love the old school scent and the aftershave is just strong enough without being too overpowering. Great shave and a very nice 1st day back to school. And I'm still on the CRSW Citrus too, although the donut is getting thinner and thinner. Not sure I'f it will last until the end of the restraint, but it will be pretty damn close!

Nice job gentlemen - hang in there - and only 3 weeks left!!

$2015-08-31 at 00-00-00.jpg

And I'm out. Got a nice bonus from work and I spoiled myself - Saponoficio verasino 70th the soap and as, Chiseled face summer storm, I Colonali, MWF in ceramic dish

cvargo - Out for spoiling himself ;-)

Have I missed anyone else that has gone to the Darth Side????

1. mr_eleven - no exceptions
2. Bluebriz - no exceptions - OUT (GFT Skin Food)
3. cvargo - Synthetic Brush - OUT for Saponoficio Verasino 70th, Chiseled Face AS, I Colonali and MWF
4. kansaskyle - bathroom shelving/display
5. Galaktus - Barbasol razor
6. Kevdogg 329 - Dorco Pace 6 blades
7. Dave-the-rave - 1 x Erasmic soap - OUT (Vintage Shefffield Straight)
8. JaredB - Chiseled Face Summer Storm - OUT (Stocking & Projects)
9. Vespasian - TFS Bergamotto Neroli AS splash
10. Socialjunk95 - Edwin Jagger Synthetic Silvertip..
11. redrider_99 - Gillette adjustable "in the wild"
12. MuhleShaver - no exceptions.
13. Bocefus- Whipped Dog Synthetic brush
14. Billy Goatee - Badger Knot - OUT (Various vacation items)
15. engblom - Own made razor
16. Stoof2010 - GSB blades
17. KQY61 - ATT Slant
18. Cosmos Mariner - Without Exception
19. Eeyore -22mm WD synthetic - OUT (Gents Synthetic Brush)
20. DanCPA - synthetic brush (model TBD)
21. cbrf3_97 - no exceptions
22. Krakatoa - Proraso Green soap
23. Gig103 - B&M and Chiseled Face samples
24. Jonoc9997 - Paladin Shave brush
25. SmurfK - Semogue OC Boar
26. Blade4vor - Norton Waterstone Set
27. CzechCzar - no exceptions - OUT (Wolfman Razor)
28. againstthegrain - knot TBD
29. pbrmhl - Wolfman open comb - OUT for Face of Danger Aftershave
30. jjking54 - B&M Arctique
31. Jarick - Shavemac brush - Out for Feather AS-D2
32. Benzology - no exception

No new one here. It came back to life enough to use. Today i Had to take my puppy in for emergency surgery. She is reading well but needless to say I am below broke.

Still in restraint.
Sorry to hear about the pup. Hope everything turns out okay.

What carrier are you on?

I'm still in. I thought the GRU-Fall would have ended today as the Fall began today. At least where I live, September is considered to be Fall. Then I noticed this restraint goes 23 days into Fall.... I should have read the fine print better.

Hi,

Now, That Fits! ;)

Water in them isn't much of a concern. It is what wasn't water that hurts. If it was municipal water, then the chlorine is eating at the tiny copper traces of the printed board. This forms a green fuzzy material - copper chloride. As the chemical reaction progresses, it will likely cause issues in time.

The answer was to open the unit, extract the board, and flush it with distilled water then dry it in an electric oven on the lowest setting. I know. Opening it up is not something most people can do. This sort of thing has been my daily business since 1981 and much of it with mobile communications equipment.

Hopefully the dessicant treatment, which is pretty slow to work, had only a little water to extract and your unit will have survived this long-term....

Stan

Edit: Of course, if it was coffee or soda, then it is Done before you even know it went for a dive. The acids short circuits out fast, and pass enough current to do real damage to the components.

Last edited:
Hi,

Uh, oh. SWMBO may have RAD!

She likes the Lady Gillette much better than my Dad's old SuperSpeed, but.... She used to have a long handle Schick Injector.... So, 'would you see if you can find one of those for me'....

Once more unto the eBay Breach, my friends! Wish me luck....

Stan

Hey Kev,

Sorry to hear about the puppy - I hope she's doing well now. We ended up getting pet insurance for our Jack Russell after having to take her to the emergency room when she was little. It's a few hundred dollars a year, but it definitely paid for itself after the first incident in a year. Let me know if you want the information - I'll have to get it from my wife.

-Steve

I had a great shave this morning where I really took the opportunity to have some "me" time. I took about 15 minutes for prep using Aleppo soap, a glycerine facial cleanser, and then applied some Proraso Green preshave cream and let that sit. Loaded my brush with Cella from the brick that I received in a PIF from Mostho a while back (thank you again Mostho!) and face lathered for several minutes with my Omega 10049 brush until I got a very nice, rich, slick lather. Three pass shave using the R41 with a Feather blade with twenty shaves on it, and everything is glass smooth. Rinsed, applied alum, rinsed again, patted my face dry and splashed on some Floid Amber just to keep with the Italian theme (I don't have an Italian razor or blade - I'll probably pick up a Fatip after the restraint ends). My face feels great and it definitely was nice to spend some extra time enjoying a nice shave before I had to wake the rug-rat :)

#12 still in and thoroughly enjoying the shaving stuff I already have.

Hey gents!!
Haven't checked in in a couple days, but still in.
Almost went to the antique store yesterday to see what I could find and remembered about the restraint lol.
This one has been almost a no brainer, but still watching myself.

Yesterday SOTD:
Maggard MR1
GSB (?) Loving these blades. Last forever. Lose count every time.
Omega s brush
Grated Palmolive stick
Shea moisture AS tonic
Nivea sensitive ASB

Top Bottom