What's new

2013 - Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Gentlemanly Insanity

Have you used a really cheap bad writing ball pen, compared to a nicely made and weighted gel roller ball? If so, you can understand how the difference in feel of both the tool and it's action on the paper makes a huge difference. Sort of like an electric razor compared to a good wetshave.. one is functional, one is functional and highly enjoyable as well.

+1

Plus you can't do things like this, with a standard ink pen. Skip through the vid, if you want to watch just the writing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see regular pens compared to fountain pens the same way I see disposable carts compared to DE razors. Both do the job. One makes it much more enjoyable.

I see regular pens compared to fountain pens the same way I see disposable carts compared to DE razors. Both do the job. One makes it much more enjoyable.

I see what you're saying. I just see little practical application anywhere in my​ life. I see shaving as a need, I see writing as a want.

brucered

System Generated
I see what you're saying. I just see little practical application anywhere in my​ life. I see shaving as a need, I see writing as a want.

I was too. I don't use mine every day, but do when I want to write with a nice comfortable pen, different ink, show off a little using it and enjoy writing as opposed to drudging it. I started with a $10 Benton Clay fountain pen, tried a few customs and a Lamy before settling on my VP, seen here

the VP was a middle ground for me. Practical being a retractable and still gave me the nice smooth writting instrument I wanted. my other pen of choice and my work horse pen is my Retro 51 Big Shot tornado roller ball.

Both are nice and suit all my pen needs. plus the new AD will keep your mind of buying new shaving items.

Last edited:

That may be. I don't actually have a FP yet, but want to get one. I have started writing more. Journaling my thoughts during the day, keeping a shave diary, tracking my food intake, etc. I am finding that writing things down by hand helps me remember them much better than just typing them.

i'm in heaven....i'm in heaven....this song was performed from blue eyes, my friend sinatra, this place is the top of dreams...wow....

some men prefer have a lover,,,, but i think like you sr, this is most cheap than a lover and less headache....the pleasant for eyes...ehehehehe

That may be. I don't actually have a FP yet, but want to get one. I have started writing more. Journaling my thoughts during the day, keeping a shave diary, tracking my food intake, etc. I am finding that writing things down by hand helps me remember them much better than just typing them.

I am doing similar. Daily food diary, some journaling. The shave blog is still all online, however.

Cool video, didn't swing me over to the pen side though. Life is short, enjoy what makes you happy.

No worries. I was just like you about 3 weeks ago. Didn't have any interest in pens, then I stumbled onto the B&B penpal thread. figured it would be neat to communicate with some members through writing. Then I thought, if i'm going to write to someone, I could at least use a fountain pen, quality paper and maybe a wax seal. I could get better with my writing and send someone a classy letter at the same time. Seems like a cool way to do something "old school" with people who actually appreciate it and return the favor.

Saying that, I probably wouldn't get as far into fountain pens, as I am, if there weren't like minded people around here.

What is the attraction with fountain pens? I actually use a pen everyday, but it would be a waste for me to use something nice. Please explain this fascination with writing instruments to me? I don't get it.

Dave, you are really making me feel better about the size of my shave den. Nice stuff.

Are you saying I have too much shave stuff????

I am running a PIF or giveaway right now in The Nib, giving away 2 pens to 2 different members. Go jump in at a chance for a good starter pen.

I'm in! Oh wait, I guess I have to go to the NIB to join it.

Anyway, I'm still in for the Shave Purchase Sabbatical!!!
Almost 3 days down!

You guys going to Pasteur's are crazy! I am afraid to look in the BST, or at the WCS deal of day never mind walking through shaving Mecca!

I wanted to join the 2013 Sabbatical after successful 2012 GRUC BUT was hedging due to planned Spring visits to our son in NYC. We who have been there, all know and Pasteur's is.....:shaving:Heaven

Well, he took care of it by bringing me some gifts from Pasteur's (he is wet shaver!) as well as some bars of Mike's Natural soaps!

So I sent him home with some gifts and joined the 2013 Sabbatical with RESOLVE, hopefully not misplaced :001_rolle

Gene

I've honestly hit a point where my mindset is like "There isn't anything out there that can do what I need better than the stuff I already have, so I really don't need to pick up any more stuff till I use some of what I have....". I have very good confidence in my abilities to follow through on this restraint for the long haul.

Inform your family that you are on a sabbatical now and that you don't want any shaving related gifts this year. That is what I did. My wife seemed quite glad actually and was happy to let everyone else in the extended family know :)

+1 here and MOST warmly greeted by Mrs. Retiredgene as she still can't believe why I had to take over the medicine cabinet for the ahem, 20+ after shave lotions along with a closet shelf for the soaps & blades :lol:

Gene

I am running a PIF or giveaway right now in The Nib, giving away 2 pens to 2 different members. Go jump in at a chance for a good starter pen.

Although extremely generous, it would be wasted on me. I'd rather someone who really wants it gets it. Besides, if I actually liked it the last thing I need is another object to acquire.

UOTE=DrColossus11;4744272]Pastuer's will be a piece of cake. Unless they have shaving stuf there, then it might be hard...[/QUOTE]

Jay - I can see you falling off the ladder in aisle 2 reaching for some of the "imported" wet shaving stuff :drool:

Gene

Top Bottom