What's new

2012 MLB Season Thread

I know it's only day one, but the Reds looked like the complete package today. Takes about 30 games before you have a better idea of what you have, but boy did they look good.

Yay, Masterson goes 8, 10k, 2 H, and Perez blows the save. Freaking Indians, come on! I am watching the 13th inning right now.

Great win by the Jays. BAUTISTA starting off strong. Edwin showing why he's a BEAST when he is in the zone. Seriously if this guy stays healthy I expect 30 HRs from him. He's got that potential.

Btw here are my predictions:

AL East - NY Yankees
AL Central - Detroit Tigers
AL West - Texas Rangers
AL Wild Cards - Tampa Bay Rays & Toronto Blue Jays

NL East - Atlanta Braves
NL Central - Cincinnati Reds
NL West - San Fransisco Giants
NL Wild Cards - Philadelphia Phillies & Colorado Rockies

NL Central - Cincinnati Reds

Someone PLEASE explain this to me... I must have missed something BIG the Reds did in the off season. Their pitching still sucks, especially since their ace is Bronson Arroyo, and the only consistent hitter they have is Votto. I have no doubt that Walt Jocketty will turn them around, but I ain't going to be this year. I just love it that no one is picking the Cards to even make the playoffs. Going to be just like last year. I mean REALLY....we get our second ace back after winning the WS without him and we aren't even going to make the playoffs?!? Yeah we lost Albert but still have a very potent line up and Matheny is Larussa made over.

Last edited:
Wood hoooo....Tigers fan here just thrilled with a sweep of the BoSox. Hard to sweep those guys.

Been following Tigers since since '67....With a bit of a fair-weather fan break from late 90s till the Leyland resurrection.

Tigers and Dodgers are my teams...would go nuts for a WSbetween those two. Win-win.

Someone PLEASE explain this to me... I must have missed something BIG the Reds did in the off season. Their pitching still sucks, especially since their ace is Bronson Arroyo, and the only consistent hitter they have is Votto. I have no doubt that Walt Jocketty will turn them around, but I ain't going to be this year. I just love it that no one is picking the Cards to even make the playoffs. Going to be just like last year. I mean REALLY....we get our second ace back after winning the WS without him and we aren't even going to make the playoffs?!? Yeah we lost Albert but still have a very potent line up and Matheny is Larussa made over.

I have nothing against the Cardinals or Brewers for that matter but the Reds did win the Central in 2010. They had an off year last year, they can easily bounce back this year.

So who thinks the Red Sox are in trouble already. Judging from Pedrioa's comments that the players are selecting themselves from the coach. I have never liked Bobby Valentine anyways it he was not a good fit for this team. Red Sox players are making themselves sound like a bunch of diva's. But Valentines comments were very out of line for any coach to say about his players. Was this his way of trying to motivate Yukolis?

I don't know. I thought Bobby V and his big mouth would be a good fit for the Sox, but boy was I wrong.

Reds fans are already in panic mode, which I find humerous. There are 2 or 3 exceptions, but overall the pitching staff is legit. They've won a few games and managed to stay in their fair share with NO offense. Once the bats heat up, it will be all good. People calling for the head of the batting coach who had the top offensive team in 10, second best in 11, a Silver Slugger, and an MVP is just dumb. Dusty playing roster games, on the other hand, is my gripe. The Homer Bailey experiment has failed as badly as the Volquez one. I don't know a fan who wanted the kid to succeed as badly as I did, but be done with him and put Chapman in. Having Willie Harris on the bench instead of Frazier in favor of the left handed bat is equally dumb. I don't understand the point of having guys compete in spring for spots, only to slap them in the face come roster time. Frazier led the offense, and Chapman led the SP's, so I don't get it. I haven't been as hard on Baker as most fans, but this April is annoying. Simon is terrible, Stubbs is frustrating. Still, I'll give them 30 games until I begin to worry.

Myself I can't wait for opening day and watch the Cards defend their title. Especially since we got Wainwright back. I really hate I that Albert left

being a cubs fan, and having to live with the soriano contract, i can say from experience...IF YOU ARE A CARDINAL FAN BE GLAD YOU ARE RID OF ALBERT

being a cubs fan, and having to live with the soriano contract, i can say from experience...IF YOU ARE A CARDINAL FAN BE GLAD YOU ARE RID OF ALBERT

Oh I agree, I am glad they didn't give him the money and handcuff themselves for that long. Soriano's contract wouldn't be that bad if he actually lived up to what they are paying him. He was a good player at one time, but now it is almost comical watching him try to play outfield.

I don't know. I thought Bobby V and his big mouth would be a good fit for the Sox, but boy was I wrong.

Reds fans are already in panic mode, which I find humerous. There are 2 or 3 exceptions, but overall the pitching staff is legit. They've won a few games and managed to stay in their fair share with NO offense. Once the bats heat up, it will be all good. People calling for the head of the batting coach who had the top offensive team in 10, second best in 11, a Silver Slugger, and an MVP is just dumb. Dusty playing roster games, on the other hand, is my gripe. The Homer Bailey experiment has failed as badly as the Volquez one. I don't know a fan who wanted the kid to succeed as badly as I did, but be done with him and put Chapman in. Having Willie Harris on the bench instead of Frazier in favor of the left handed bat is equally dumb. I don't understand the point of having guys compete in spring for spots, only to slap them in the face come roster time. Frazier led the offense, and Chapman led the SP's, so I don't get it. I haven't been as hard on Baker as most fans, but this April is annoying. Simon is terrible, Stubbs is frustrating. Still, I'll give them 30 games until I begin to worry.

I have never been a Dusty Baker fan. Jocketty is a hell of a GM, I know from experience, but Baker on the other hand is a different story.

On the plus side, my Dodgers got rid of McCourt! Woot!

+1

Although I don't know if Magic is going to necessarily buy us many players which may mean we are going to have to wait for our farm team. Not so great when we have quite a few good young players out there, just not enough of them.

How nice and refreshing is it to see the Dodgers doing well? Great attendance it looked like for last night's game and Kemp with a BLAST. Kemp & Ethier are superb players along with Kershaw. The Dodgers need more players around them.

Was the attendance due mostly to Bryce Harper's debut though? Anyone else find it funny that Harper removed his helmet to show off his douchey haircut? lol

Tribe keeps playing solid ball 3/4 of the time. Pitching is suspect, hate to waste an 8 inning, 4 hit outing and take the L.

-that was yesterday, they won today.

Last edited:
"Darvish tips his cap after hitting Edwin; Japanese style. Edwin hits a homer and stares him back; North American style" Gregg Zaun lol

Albert Pujols on the bench with a .194 average and 0 homeruns?! Anybody call this? I've been a Cardinals fan since I was a boy and my grandpa took me to the games, and though I was disappointed with the way things went between the team and Albert, I can't say a 10-year contract ever appealed to me. In short, it was for the best. Even if Pujols comes around, which I believe he will, he's certainly not going to bounce back to the kinds of numbers he used to put up.

Now then, can somebody explain to me why we keep losing to Houston?

I'm lookin towards the Braves (fave team) this year to do something, but i wouldnt count out the Nats (home team) to make a run. I havent followed the AL since the Orioles (other home team) lost all their talent and class. Who knows theres still over 100 games left so we really cant say anything useful for a while unfortunately.

Greinke vs Cueto yesterday was awesome. Cueto has been great this year with the D he has behind him, and his ability to work out of terrible situations. Greinke was unhitable, and if not for being a Reds fan I would say it was a shame that they pulled him and had their closer give it up in the 9th.

Top Bottom