What's new

2011 Shave Purchase Sabbatical--Gentlemanly Restraint

It has been six months for me, and I can tell you that I like my scaled down shaving den much better.

After discovering B&B I went a bit crazy. Not super-duper crazy (I got everything off the B/S/T), but I had way too much stuff. I sold almost everything a few months ago.

Now I have the perfect shaving den. I use each product more often, and appreciate them more. Here's my perfect den:

Razor- Edward Jagger 89DEL
Blades- Dorco, Red IP, Personna 74
Soaps - Arlington, Trumper Coconut, PGS Tobacco, VDH, Euro Palmolive, Cade
Brushes - Semogues 830 and 620 (you need two because it takes more than 24 hours to dry)
Cream - Proraso
ASB (One of each)- Nivea, Neutragena, Booster's Mosswood, Proraso ASB, Proraso Splash

I love having just one razor. My shaves are much better since I've done that. And all of my soaps are top quality (except VDH). I'd rather have quality than quantity, and I don't want $500 worth of soap sitting in my bathroom.

When my next product runs out, I will buy one more. It could be something affordable, like MWF or Tabac, or it could be something very expensive (Czech and Speake), but whatever it is, it will be just one item.

AD's really aren't fun. Chasing after the next great shaving product is an expensive and unfulfilling activity.

Very nice, goby. This is just what we need. Here that, guys? Less stuff is more fun, and you don't feel empty inside afterward :tongue_sm. Repeat that every time you log in to B&B.

Good luck, fellas! I made it this year (with the exception of 2 straights).

Getting into straight razors was tough, but I managed to stay in the Sabbatical by trading away other stuff. My real mistake was dropping my favorite razor. Turns out it had the "devil's spit" and couldn't be repaired--and so ended my Sabbatical.

As a newbie of 6 months who's collected somewhere around 25-30 DE's, 8 tubs of cream, 4 soaps, and about 8 aftershave splashes and balms, I would like to say that I want to succeed at this, but I would need some sort of intervention. I have enough blades to last me 3-4 years according to my Excel sheet, so wont be buying any more of those. And I have a number of samples I've yet to go through. Seriously, for someone who is studying to be a psychologist working with addictions, I sure as hell need to work on mine. :ohmy:

my exceptions: getting AOS sandalwood SC and ASB at a great price on the BST.
Any flea market antique finds of a toggle or double ring. THAT'S IT :tongue_sm

As a newbie of 6 months who's collected somewhere around 25-30 DE's, 8 tubs of cream, 4 soaps, and about 8 aftershave splashes and balms, I would like to say that I want to succeed at this, but I would need some sort of intervention. I have enough blades to last me 3-4 years according to my Excel sheet, so wont be buying any more of those. And I have a number of samples I've yet to go through. Seriously, for someone who is studying to be a psychologist working with addictions, I sure as hell need to work on mine. :ohmy:

my exceptions: getting AOS sandalwood SC and ASB at a great price on the BST.
Any flea market antique finds of a toggle or double ring. THAT'S IT :tongue_sm

Hey, we're doing addiction research! :wink2: I also have samples from forever ago that I haven't gotten too.

Hey, we're doing addiction research! :wink2: I also have samples from forever ago that I haven't gotten too.

very true.. perhaps a dissertation project for me. see how many of you gents and ladies that sign up are able to stay sober for the year. i'll have to put together a survey

I'm in like Flynn. Let's do this! No exceptions. No false pretences. No more anything!

Six months in here's what has found it's way into my bathroom:
  • 4 DEs (Slant, Progress, Fakelite & Fatboy)
  • 7 years worth of blades (Feathers, SIs, Astras)
  • Enough soap for at least a few years (Tabac soap in the pot, 2x Tabac shave sticks, 0.99 kg of Cella, 6x Proraso soap tubs, Palmolive shave stick, Arko shave stick)
  • Enough cream to last a few years (Speick, Proraso, TOBS Avocado, Euro Palmolive, Nivea sensitive, Figaro tub)
  • 2 Badger Brushes (Shavemac 2-band D01 extra-short loft, Semogue 2010 LE Silvertip)
  • 1 nicely broken in Boar (Omega Pro 48)
  • Enough AS/ASB for 2011 (Proraso ASB, Floid Original, Weleda, Tabac ASB, L'Occitan Verdon)

Holy cr@p! That's the first time I've tallied my gear. Too much. WAY too much!!

OK, I'm a shaving monk as of Jan. 1. Hummmmmmmmmm....:a2:

I have made up my mind not to purchase any new razors or brushes in 2011. I will be on the lookout for vintage soaps, blades and Shulton Old Spice in antique stores and flea markets. I don't look at those as purchases, more like humanitarian rescues of neglected pieces of history.

I'm in...I think. At least if I fail at this, I'm sure I won't be alone!:w00t::lol:

And humanitarian rescues don't count as purchases, anyway. At least according to HoosierTrooper.:thumbup1:

i like the momentum!

im feeling like i could gear up for this too!

Assuming of course that anything above the EdC is not shave related, here is what i need to insure i do not fail:

• Simpson Travel Brush
  • Back up Alt-Innsbruck
  • Pashana Aftershave
  • The Gentlemans Quarter - Lavender Shave soap
  • Back up Speick Stick
  • Razor hones:
    -Shapton 16k
    -600/3000
  • DR Harris - Arlington Soap
  • Boosters A/S x2

I have more than enough shave tackle to last me at least three years!

Three years? Seriously?

Straights and DEs last forever so.... Honestly, the Feather AS may be the last razor I ever buy. It's that good. Had an EJ in the cart today and went "why?". Bought some Sea Buckthorn instead:lol:

DE blades 15 years (conservatively) - may need a few more.... Only 200 Feathers left now.... I do only have 40 blades for my Feather AC DX but I hardly ever use that....

Soaps- unopened -12-16 years, maybe, probably, much longer. Just the ones open are likely 7 years.... Never actually finished a soap:001_rolle As mentioned Sea Buckthorn inbound... Might need a Eucris. Haven't tried that yet.

So, I'm guessing I'm probably good until 2030.... If they outlawed selling shave gear next year, I'll likely be dead before I run out.....

... Now what was I saying?.......

Anyway, no sabbatical for you!:lol:

Ken

I don't think I can do it, guys.

I was in for 2010, but then I fell off the wagon with a B/S/T purchase of a Slim.

And guess what? That Slim became my daily shaver! Best razor in my collection! If I had stuck with the sabbatical, I would never have experienced this awesome razor. So you can see the problem, right?

Also, I recently bought three travel pucks of C&S O&C soap (one of which I sold to Vlad, by the way), and this soap is just awesome! Much better than any soap I had previously tried or had made its way into my den. When it runs out, I'm prolly gonna have to buy a full-size puck of this stuff. It's not really an option, is it?:lol:

I was in for 2010, but then I fell off the wagon with a B/S/T purchase of a Slim.

And guess what? That Slim became my daily shaver! Best razor in my collection! If I had stuck with the sabbatical, I would never have experienced this awesome razor. So you can see the problem, right?

Also, I recently bought three travel pucks of C&S O&C soap (one of which I sold to Vlad, by the way), and this soap is just awesome! Much better than any soap I had previously tried or had made its way into my den. When it runs out, I'm prolly gonna have to buy a full-size puck of this stuff. It's not really an option, is it?:lol:

You've got another 15 days to order your puck. No excuses!

This seems to be an excuse to binge on shaving gear before the end of the year, I am on to you.

With that said, I don't have a problem like some of the people on here but I am getting to that point. I don't have enough cream, pre, and aftershave to get through the year. I am going to vow to buy no more razors or brushes and that I will use up all my current stuff before I buy anything new. That does not mean replace each brand I use, I mean all the category will be gone before a trip to the store.

While this sounds like something my wife is going to like, it just means I am going to have to find a new addiction. Any suggestions?

This seems to be an excuse to binge on shaving gear before the end of the year, I am on to you.

Do you know how many times I've put a stick of Valobra in my shopping cart at WCS or Bull Goose thinking, "This is my last chance, this is my last chance"? And then I wanted that scratch and dent tub of Coates! Stop the madness! :tongue_sm

I need to do this as well. I can't spend like I did this year.

My exceptions:

1. A new strop.
My current one was more for practice, and is nicked up like crazy.

2. ONE new straight.
I only have 2. Enough said.

3. A new puck of MdC, my new favorite soap.

That's it!

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but.....

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!!!!
proxy.php

marty

I count 18 days left in the calendar year, and any purchases made before 11:59 pm on 12/31 are exempt. You're gonna buy it anyway......:lol:

Top Bottom