What's new

2 vs 3 piece DE Safety Razors

Howdy all,
I have searched high and low and can't seem to find much on this topic...
I understand the basic differences between a 2 piece and a 3 piece Safety, but I am looking buying my first DE (I currently straight shave) and I would like to buy either the Merkur 34c HD or the Merkur 1904. The HD is a 2 piece and the 1904 is a 3 piece.
I would one day like to pass this down as an heirloom potentially. Would one construction type last longer than the other??
Would one be more 'solid' (for lack of a better word) than the other, or is it really much of a muchness??

I read somewhere, one person said that the 2 piece has more moving parts and so this can wear out after some time and not 'align correctly' after any years (especially if over tightened).
What are your thoughts on this?

Thank you!

I've not heard of of any significant difference in longevity between the two designs. However, if you're looking at buying a potential heirloom then in my opinion neither would be ideal, as I believe both have heads made out of zinc alloy, with plating on top. Any flake or crack in the plating will let water in, which will react with the alloy, causing it to rot and crumble. I'm not saying this will happen to a razor you buy, but it certainly could.
For an heirloom razor, I would get a stainless steel one or a vintage Gillette. The latter are made of plated brass, and even if the plating comes off they will not corrode.

I've not heard of of any significant difference in longevity between the two designs. However, if you're looking at buying a potential heirloom then in my opinion neither would be ideal, as I believe both have heads made out of zinc alloy, with plating on top. Any flake or crack in the plating will let water in, which will react with the alloy, causing it to rot and crumble. I'm not saying this will happen to a razor you buy, but it certainly could.
For an heirloom razor, I would get a stainless steel one or a vintage Gillette. The latter are made of plated brass, and even if the plating comes off they will not corrode.

you make an interesting point about the zink alloy. Apparently the 1904 is the only razor Merlur make that is nickel finish. Different to the HD. I have read this on several websites now. Would nickel be better? People appear to be saying it's better for this reason.

For the qualities you are looking for, the choice of 2 vs 3 piece or chrome vs nickle is much less significant than the material the razor is made from.

+1 on vintage Gillette
If "used" is an issue, a fine example replated in nickle will likely last another couple generations.

Zinc is used in Naval designs to save other metals from corroding. It is a sacrificial anode and it's pretty funny that it is intentionally used in a wet application where it has direct contact with other metals.

I've got no beef with zinc, but it's not a heirloom product, not like brass or stainless steel. You're better off getting a weber or ikon (feather or ATT on the high end) if you want your grandkids to fight over who gets PaPa's razor when he dies.

+1 for this. Go vintage. Unparalled quality and longevity.

you make an interesting point about the zink alloy. Apparently the 1904 is the only razor Merlur make that is nickel finish. Different to the HD. I have read this on several websites now. Would nickel be better? People appear to be saying it's better for this reason.

I believe nickel plating to be if anything less hardwearing than chrome, however it will still be more than adequate for a razor. However even the 1904 has pot metal lurking beneath it's nicely-plated surface.

2 piece razors are nice and with the baseplate attached to the handle usually the only parts off the razor are the cap and knob assembly if it is not internally held by the handle. I like 2 piece over 3 piece razors. You are probably going to have several DE's before it is all over and the Heirloom could be a stainless product or a vintage Gillette as discussed above. The one Zamac head that is plated bountifully and looks like it could last a long time is the head shared by Muhle and Edwin Jagger, the D89. Muhle makes a terrific example of it in the Twist model of the 89. It is a 2 piece with the beautiful head and a larger than normal handle. I think Conant Shaving retails the razor at a very reasonable price. The Heirloom Gillette could be the 77 or 88 open comb. Terrific razor, great shave.

many people prefer a gillette over anything, and in some cases i would too. a zamak razor can last just as long as a brass razor. i just got a vintage merkur progress and it still looks wonderful, and the first progress's were produced before the first fatboy's. im sure it will last me many shaves to come, and will most likely out live me. the other merkur razors i have, 34c/33c, i see no problem with them lasting many decades either. i take good care of them, and if you do that also, they will last a very long time. the razor doesnt need to be brass to be an heirloom. the heirloom could be anything that was used by one for his or her lifetime and then was passed down to the next generation. i wouldnt care what the razor was made out of, just as long as it was used by my dad for many years, when it became mine, i would cherish it no matter what. and zinc razors can also be replated again. some people dont like to replate zamak razors, but i know a couple people that have done it before and it turned out great. i would say get whatever you want, but, yes, i would agree from others that the durability of a true vintage gillette can be hard to beat. they were just built so good.

I own two razors, one a two-piece (the 34c) and the other a three-piece (RazoRock Jaws).

I prefer to handle a two-piece razor, but I would recommend a three-piece razor, because you can match it up with other handles later if you want to.

+1 to all the comments above… if you want longevity, avoid pot metal at all costs. Your best bet is to choose a nice vintage Gillette, or if you want something modern/new, any of the currently available stainless steel razors.

All of these will be around long after all of us are not, assuming they are well cared for.

And I too prefer 3 piece… let's me use all my favorite custom handles!! :w00t: :thumbup1:

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I'm gonna say that being able to change the handle is the biggest advantage of 3-piece razors. On the otherhand, if you're not going to go all super-geeky on custom handles and whatnot, than it probably doesn't matter.

As much as I like my TTO and 2 piece razors, I like having a choice of handles.
Maybe this is an exception.
I own a 1924 ER Shovel head. It is my daily driver.

It is a vintage two pc. razor. I use the head with my Bakelite handle from my GEM Jr. It is my favorite head razor combination. I also rotate the head with other GEM and Ever Ready handles.

Just wondering. Is this the only 2 pc. razor that can switch out the handle?

Attachments

• IMG_4572.jpeg
    IMG_4572.jpeg
    695.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4571.jpeg
    IMG_4571.jpeg
    761.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Top Bottom