What's new

Two-piece razors? Any particular reason they aren't more popular?

Why aren’t there many two-piece razors? They’re probably harder to make, and therefore more expensive. They don’t improve over the three-piece design. Three-piece razors are cheaper to make. Dollar bills, dollar bills, dollar bills.

It’s similar to the invention of underarm deodorant in the 1950’s. Prior, no one needed deodorant. People smelled like people had smelled since the cave man. And then some Madison Ave genius rolled out the idea that people stink and to fix it you need this new product, deodorant. And then everyone had to have it. After, we can argue over which is the best deodorant, etc., but the truth is we never needed it.
Same thing with the TTO, the blue/red tip, the adjustable, the multiblade. All curing a problem that did not exist previously. Marketing.
I beg to differ with you.
If you've been around me on a hot summer day, you would make a strong argument for deodorant. :lol1:

We are getting a bit off-topic regarding indoor plumbing and rising affluence in the 50's and 60's affecting bathing and marketing affecting deodorant sales.

Does a woman really need to shave her armpits? In the USA generally yes, in a lot of Europe no. Is this really a hygiene thing or simply marketing? Do I really need to wash my blue jeans every day when I haven't really been outside working in them to 'soil' them? Do I really want to shorten their 'lifespan' by overwashing them daily with the newest marketed laundry soap?

Regarding stink and daily showers versus weekly bathing, I know that if I take a daily shower in the late Fall and Winter months, I will have real skin issues that need a lot of attention. Do I really stink and do I need a daily shower or bath in Winter when I am mainly inside and not out in the 'field'?

Now back to marketing issues with TTO/Butterfly and 2-Piece razors ... 🙂

ASR released the TTO Gem Micromatic several years before Gillette released their first TTO. Gillette had to have something to compete with the Micromatic.

We are getting a bit off-topic regarding indoor plumbing and rising affluence in the 50's and 60's affecting bathing and marketing affecting deodorant sales.

Does a woman really need to shave her armpits? In the USA generally yes, in a lot of Europe no. Is this really a hygiene thing or simply marketing? Do I really need to wash my blue jeans every day when I haven't really been outside working in them to 'soil' them? Do I really want to shorten their 'lifespan' by overwashing them daily with the newest marketed laundry soap?

Regarding stink and daily showers versus weekly bathing, I know that if I take a daily shower in the late Fall and Winter months, I will have real skin issues that need a lot of attention. Do I really stink and do I need a daily shower or bath in Winter when I am mainly inside and not out in the 'field'?

Now back to marketing issues with TTO/Butterfly and 2-Piece razors ... 🙂
Your skin will get dry if you use modern 'shower gel' or mass-marketed bar soaps.

If you shower using real soap that is made by a local artisan and don't crank up the water temps too high, you might find that a daily shower won't really dry your skin out at all.

On the original question...

For me, 2 piece is a possibly better design because when you have a razor with a head where a bit of the blade overhangs on boh sides, it might be harder and a bit dangerous to tighten a handle (and yes, I know you don't have to overdo it, but still) on a 3 piece razor. With a 2 piece, you are holding the handle and turning the knob, not holding the head anywhere at all.

Your skin will get dry if you use modern 'shower gel' or mass-marketed bar soaps.

If you shower using real soap that is made by a local artisan and don't crank up the water temps too high, you might find that a daily shower won't really dry your skin out at all.

True, cooler water and better soaps help. Still a problem for me though.

And, to be honest, in Winter months, sweating and stinking isn't really a problem. Like blue jeans, if they aren't dirty, why do I need to wash them?

Top Bottom