What's new

1922 Aristocrat help needed

Picked up this weekend and am hoping to get it back into usable condition (would love to use this). As far as I can tell it is a 1922 Aristocrat but the top plate is really warped and the center stud is loose. It looks like someone may have tried hammering it before the way the cap is so wavy. The rest of it looks great and should clean up nicely. What I am hoping is that someone may have a decent cap that they would part with for a reasonable amount. Please let me know if you do. I live in Taunton Ma 02780. Thank you all in advance for any help.

Attachments

• pic 2.png
    pic 2.png
    297.7 KB · Views: 36
  • pic 1.png
    pic 1.png
    371.1 KB · Views: 35
Looks like a New Improved to me.
I think it's this.

There should be a serial number on the baseplate inner, as in photo below. Can you check @SmokedStanley ?
proxy.php

Not sure if Chris at Back Roads Gold restores this type of issue but could be worth a shot to ask
Good idea. Probably your best bet to get this old girl running again.

Not too common in the wild. May be worth a complete restoration with Chris.

Last edited:
I think it's this.

There should be a serial number on the baseplate inner, as in photo below. Can you check @SmokedStanley ?
proxy.php

Good idea. Probably your best bet to get this old girl running again.

Not too common in the wild. May be worth a complete restoration with Chris.

Just cleaned lightly and checked with a decent magnifying glass and there are no numbers stamped in the plate on the top side. Just Gillette and Made in USA on the bottom of the plate, and pat info at the base of the handle.

Picked up this weekend and am hoping to get it back into usable condition (would love to use this). As far as I can tell it is a 1922 Aristocrat but the top plate is really warped and the center stud is loose. It looks like someone may have tried hammering it before the way the cap is so wavy. The rest of it looks great and should clean up nicely. What I am hoping is that someone may have a decent cap that they would part with for a reasonable amount. Please let me know if you do. I live in Taunton Ma 02780. Thank you all in advance for any help.
Actually, from that very pronounced 'tulip' at the handle top, I may have misidentified.

It's more likely to be a Bostonian or New Standard Gold, from 1926-8
proxy.php

New Standard
proxy.php

lasta

Blade Biter
New Improveds are GREAT shaving razors, one of the best IMO. Also aesthetically very pleasing.

But (IMO) the top cap on yours is beyond saving.

Check ebay for mediocre condition single ring Old Types, they are usually cheaper than New Improveds and the top caps are interchangeable.

The top caps on Merkur 34C can also be used with a NI. Although this will make the razor milder.

As for the rest of your razor, a bit of metal polish and it'll be good as new.

Top Bottom