What's new

Barbasol Confession

A few weeks ago, in a hurried moment of weakness, I reached for my can of Barbasol Soothing Aloe.

The following week, I experimented with Barbasol more than once. I mixed it with water in my hands, and the result was slick, protective, and very nice. The shaves were good.

This week, I have willingly chosen Barbasol over my other creams, my brush, and my bowl on multiple occasions.

And today, I shaved with something else, but thought of Barbasol while doing so.

$original.jpg
"What is the point of confessing if I don't repent?"

Hopefully I don't get in trouble for saying this... Sometimes I still use barbasol too!

All kidding aside, as long as you've found what you like! My wife was a little perturbed when I got Fine American Blend aftershave and the Razorock soap to match.. "You bought expensive stuff that smells like the cheap stuff?!"

"... BUT THATS NOT THE POINT!"

I find the Aloe to be one of the best performing Barbasol creams. I shave my head with it, but I prefer fancy soaps for my face.

I always like having Barbasol on hand it's great for quick shave,its cheap and seems to be best barbasol cream I've used.

Last edited by a moderator:
The past week I used Barbasol skin conditioner, "lanolin" with a little extra water. Smooth shaving, good stuff for a dollar and change.
Owen

How do you guys add water to shave cream from a can? I can't imagine how you do it.

I spray the cream into my hand, run a little tap water over it, and then rub my hands together to "mix" it until I get the desired consistency/slickness.

I already have a great quick alternative to soap or cream (King of Shaves) which is a brushless gel that is slick as snot and gives me a smoother shave than anything in a mug or can. It's just not fun to use. Out of curiosity I went on a quest to get a can of yellow Barbasol. What I found was that Walgreens and CVS carry 3 of the 7 flavors (original, aloe, and sensitive) and that Wal Mart and Meyers carry 5 of the 7 flavors, but no one carries Mountain Blast or Skin Conditioner (yellow can). It is usually true that when no one carries a product, no one wants it. Is there something about the yellow can that the general public would find offensive? At a cost of $1.39 a can at Wal Mart, and $6-$8 a can on Amazon (only place I see the yellow can for sale) my curiosity will have to go unsatisfied for now!

I can't get the yellow one where I live but I have the orange. I have to check if it has lanolin in it lie the yellow does. As of now, the only canned stuff I can use with my DE is aveeno men's therapeutic (cherry marzipan scent).
I don't think I've even tried the orange...
But the green for me didn't work out. Maybe I'll try adding some water as said above...

The past week I used Barbasol skin conditioner, "lanolin" with a little extra water. Smooth shaving, good stuff for a dollar and change.
Owen

If shipping it didn't cost more than the product ID ask to send me some lol.
I can't find the yellow anywhere. But the orange did pop up recently.
I emailed barbasol about the yellow in my area... waiting on the response.

If you are going to go back to goo, let it be Barbasol. Their headquarters and their state-of-the-art plant are both here in Ohio. I still have a couple cans lying around, though I have used them maybe twice since going to DE early this year. I have even seen speculations that Gillette-brand goo has corrosive ingredients meant to degrade blade edges so you would have to buy cartridges more often. That seems far-fetched to me but in the interest of my Ohio neighbors I will buy into it being a good idea to use creams and preps from manufacturers that are not in the hardware business.

There is nothing wrong with using "goo". The shaves are perfectly fine. Good, even. Especially with a single-blade (Gillette Guard or a DE).

Nothing to confess or repent. Brush lather might be slicker and "more luxurious," but canned foam works with a DE very well.

My uncle floats a glob in the sink of hot water, waits a few secs, then scoops out the glob and applies to face. I've tried it and it works pretty well!

Top Bottom