What's new

EBAY DIGEST: Interesting Shaving Related Recent Sales Recap

I wonder how many times he can sell this?
proxy.php

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Adv...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Adv...rush-c-1920-/252064739279?hash=item3ab03aafcf

I have not seen that kind of handle before. That price is about in line for a Probak. The ones that I have are all very gentle and smooth shavers. Excellent to use if you simply don't want to cut yourself.

The heads have a nice looks with the writing on the bottom. And they all seem to have one of several different blade placement designs. Pretty cool.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge on these can enlighten us on the handle?

Matt

This looks like an interesting razor. Did a fellow B&Ber get it?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Pro...KxVERxGPzGlJNMu6WWAPw%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
I grabbed it. I saw it last minute. I got the same razor in a green red/black style new case. Thread in the rad section.

The one I got with the case is different than all the other probaks I have. The baseplate/etc are a nickel finish vs the tinny looking ones.

I wanted to compare this vs the other one I have to see if this was more than just a mismatch, and a Gillette-assembled odds and ends kind of thing.

I grabbed it. I saw it last minute. I got the same razor in a green red/black style new case. Thread in the rad section.

The one I got with the case is different than all the other probaks I have. The baseplate/etc are a nickel finish vs the tinny looking ones.

I wanted to compare this vs the other one I have to see if this was more than just a mismatch, and a Gillette-assembled odds and ends kind of thing.

You stole that one from me. :angry:

I've been trying to get an Otto Roth handle.......I guess I'll have to keep searching.

*Edit....yeah, you bought a Frankenrazor. Its a Probak head with an Otto Roth handle on it. I wanted the handle more than the head but I like the looks of the Probak. Well, back to the hunt.

Last edited:
You stole that one from me. :angry:

I've been trying to get an Otto Roth handle.......I guess I'll have to keep searching.
I just saved you some trouble then.

Otto handles are gold with a different top fitting. They also tend to come with Otto baseplates.

As a shaver, they tend to be much better (and more common).

I'll keep an eye open for you until you score one of you'd like.

I just saved you some trouble then.

Otto handles are gold with a different top fitting. They also tend to come with Otto baseplates.

As a shaver, they tend to be much better (and more common).

I'll keep an eye open for you until you score one of you'd like.

I thought they made some in nickel? I know there's some NEW handles that were thin like an Otto Roth but in nickel so I assumed Otto Roth used them as well. Either way, nice score for you. I'll keep looking.

I don't think it's a frankenrazor, that's what I wanted to confirm. Probaks weren't plated in Nickel, they had this cheap Galvanized steel look to them.

If this razor matches the other one, then that will be 2 long thin bar handle razors with matching nickel probak heads... That would be a big coincidence. I'm thinking Gillette was just using up parts and nickel plated some leftover probak baseplates.

There's an Otto up right now for sale.... Double what I would pay for it, but they're not that rare.

Yeah, I saw that one. I bid what I did on the Probak as I thought that was what it was worth....didn't think someone would think it was worth $.50 more.

Cased Apollo Mikron sold for nearly $500; four bidders thought it was worth more than $400: item 221854506283

Head looks nice, but can't see whether red paint on notch on head is all there; some paint missing off the #'s and the dot. Also, looks like the model w/o the adjuster key. Has a cleaning brush, blade bank and case. Also, looks to have the cleaning cloth or instructions (can't tell from photos). But, is missing the styptic pencil container, which would fit in the little compartment on the end opposite the head.

Beats the uncased one that sold for $270 recently, wow.

Top Bottom