What's new

The Rubberset 400 Club

So what Omega knot Clint64 use in your brush? I really like the aesthetics of the blonde boat knots in these handles... So much that I got an Omega 49 for this purpose but the knot appears to be way too big.

Mark sent me a Omega 10066 to use and it was much easier to install in the 400. For reference below is my 400 unmarked with a Omega 49. While the 49 is much easier to remove from the old plastic handle, it requires some that the opening be enlarged to the max. The 10066 was much harder to remove the knot but it did not require the opening to modified in any way.

Ok, I tried something a bit different with my brush and I'm liking the results. Sorry no pics but here's what I did. I was using one of my Rubberset 400 brushes daily for about the past year. I shined and polished it up like a mirror and noticed that after using it a couple weeks it started to tarnish. So after about a month it got to the point where I polished it again. I'd repeat this process over and over month after month.

I was in the auto parts store the other day and found a 6000 grit polishing cloth. So I picked it up and decided to sand my tarnished brush handle with this sanding pad. I sanded it and it got a nice brushed look to it so I decided to use it like that for a while instead of applying the Mother's aluminum polish.

It's been a month so far and it looks the exact same as it did when I finished with the 6000 grit cloth. Not a bit of tarnish at all.

So this makes me wonder if there is a connection between the polished mirror finish and the tarnish. I have three of these brushes and I do prefer the mirror look but the brushed look is appealing especially since it doesn't seem to involve all of the upkeep.

If nothing else I'm going to leave my daily driver with the brushed finish for a while.

Reporting in after four months of just about daily use, the sanded brush handle shows no signs of tarnish and looks exactly how it did the day I sanded it four months ago. I still find beauty in the satin look and no tarnish at all to deal with, so for me it's staying this way for a while longer.

I'm not a member (yet) I figured this would be the best place to get a answer. What is the price range for "have to buy" if you see a Rubberset 400? I work near a peddler's mall and I'm pretty sure they have a Rubberset 400 for the price of $20-25. I've seen the price of these things from $20-$300.

Is it hard to change the knots out?

Thanks for the info.

I'm not a member (yet) I figured this would be the best place to get a answer. What is the price range for "have to buy" if you see a Rubberset 400? I work near a peddler's mall and I'm pretty sure they have a Rubberset 400 for the price of $20-25. I've seen the price of these things from $20-$300.

Thanks for the info.

With the demand and prices for these brushes going up, I think you'd better snatch that one up for $20-25! I bought my first Rubberset 400 for $10 about five years ago; however, I frequently see them selling on auction sites for over $200.

The knots aren't hard to change, as long as you work slowly and carefully. You'll find a lot of useful tips on that subject in this thread. Good luck!

-- Sammy

Thanks for the info.

Yeah...that's WAY too much for that useless brush....but I'll send you $25 and you can send it to me....for experimental purposes (yeah, that's it).
Seriously, stop what you're doing and go get that thing, right now!!!

May I join? I picked this up yesterday

$Untitled.jpg$Untitled_1.jpg

I just found a Rubberset 400, no number, and it's in great shape. I got the dust out of it and shaved with it today. It's a nice boar brush. It could very well be my donation to the Saint Sue Auction.

Here's the question...

Given that the boar bristles are in fine shape, should I polish the handle or leave it in its current state? Polishing this one is not a big deal. It just needs some rubbing compound to bring out the shine.

I just found a Rubberset 400, no number, and it's in great shape. I got the dust out of it and shaved with it today. It's a nice boar brush. It could very well be my donation to the Saint Sue Auction.

Here's the question...

Given that the boar bristles are in fine shape, should I polish the handle or leave it in its current state? Polishing this one is not a big deal. It just needs some rubbing compound to bring out the shine.

Completely up to you. No matter what you do, I have found a good coat of carnauba wax maintains the shine.

You people have to stay off Ebay buying these things. I bid just the right amount each time then one of you guys jumps in and overpays for the brush and I see pics of it in this thread the next day. I can't tell you how many of these brushes I've seen here that you guys have paid too much for. I should own about 50 of these by now. You're all going to have to lower your bids a bit for this to work.

I can't take all this rejection and disappointment. It's troublesome to me that you keep overpaying for every one of these I bid on. Seriously, cut it out.

Friends. i realise I did not share this pic with you. Some samples and ideas powder coated. Please just for your enjoyment, not advertising, they are not on sale, are only samples to try. i do not know If I will make them. I do not want to be warned by mods. i asked for being hobbyst, but it seems the program ended.

proxy.php

You people have to stay off Ebay buying these things. I bid just the right amount each time then one of you guys jumps in and overpays for the brush and I see pics of it in this thread the next day. I can't tell you how many of these brushes I've seen here that you guys have paid too much for. I should own about 50 of these by now. You're all going to have to lower your bids a bit for this to work.

I can't take all this rejection and disappointment. It's troublesome to me that you keep overpaying for every one of these I bid on. Seriously, cut it out.

Says the guy that already has a 400........some of us can't even get 1.

Friends. i realise I did not share this pic with you. Some samples and ideas powder coated. Please just for your enjoyment, not advertising, they are not on sale, are only samples to try. i do not know If I will make them. I do not want to be warned by mods. i asked for being hobbyst, but it seems the program ended.

Very nice, Dr ! A bit too "rugged" to my taste, but beautiful ideas, please keep up the good work !

Just finished my Rubberset 400 restoration. Thanks for all the good advice I found in this thread! Yes, it is still destined for the Saint Sue Auction.

Since the knot/bristles are in great shape I decided not to replace them. I gave it a thorough cleaning and polished out the oxidation to preserve its "usedness". If the winner of its part of the Saint Sue Auction wants to go further it will be ready for the final touches. It definitely liked my Stirling Black Ice. I did the final sanitizing, polishing and waxing after a few test drives.:001_smile

This is the numberless model. I took it apart and cleaned it thoroughly with soap and water. Here's the detail behind the rest of this project.

1) Steel wool with Soft Scrub...

2) Colgate Toothpaste and a soft brush...

Test drive time and then another soap and water cleaning session...

3) Rubbing compound with a cotton cloth...

4) Silver polish with a cotton cloth...

5) Another soap and water soak / bath...

6) Silicone car wax...

7) Picture time...

$DSC_0204 - Rubberset-Full Length.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my entry into this club I picked it for $2 up at a little junk shop yesterday along with a $5 40s style super speed. I had no idea what it was when I bought it. Just thought it might be better than my VHD boar the only brush I had. It is a no number version.

I picked up some Mother's and will probably start cleaning it up later today. I think I'm just going to do a good cleaning and polish and use it with the original knot for now. I don't have a lot of brush experience so I am not sure what knot I would want to go with, but I do see lots of pretty ones

Last edited:
Troy - The Mother's polish will help but if you want perfection like you see on many of the brushes here it's attained by sanding with several grits of sandpaper getting progressively finer until you get to the really high grit stuff followed by the Mother's then some car wax. It's a bit addictive once you get started and the change in the look of the brush is huge. I know I'd like to pick up another brush to refinish. I even bid on them once in a while.

I know you didn't ask but here's some info because you mentioned it. At least that way if you want to do it in the future you can.

Here's the general progression to get it looking like a mirror:

220 wet sand
320 wet sand
400 wet sand
600 wet sand
800 wet sand
1000 wet sand
1500 wet sand
2000 wet sand
2500 wet sand
3000 wet sand
4000 wet sand
Mother's Aluminum polish
car wax

Some have gone higher with the grit of sandpaper which just seems to get you a deeper shine. The biggest problem is sourcing any sandpaper above 4000 grit. You can find some of the higher grits at the local WalMart automotive section. The really high grits come from a body shop supply store or are ordered via the internet.

You'll need to spend a good amount of time in the lower grits. To give you an idea I have three of these and spent three hours each on two of them and four hours on the other. Your's looks to be in pretty good shape so I'm guessing three hours.

As far as the knot goes I really like the TGN High Mountain White knot. It's at the $60 mark but it's super soft and plush with good backbone and no scritch. This is my everyday brush and the handle after all the work deserves a really nice knot. Their Premium Silvertip knot is nice at the $33 mark with a bit less backbone but incredible softness. Many choose the Finest knot at the $27 mark but it's not as soft and plush. Still an excellent value though. I don't like it as well as the HMW but the value is there.

If you're looking for something really inexpensive but still very good I just bought a Pure Badger knot from WSP for $15 that's actually quite good. I put it in a Rubberset 200 brush that I just cleaned up and after one use with it I'm quite impressed considering the cost. It's very similar to the TGN Finest knot. A small bit of scritch but very nice backbone, still soft and very enjoyable. An excellent value knot. I thought it might be mismarked on their website since it seems like it should cost more. Do see their instructions for sizing the knot as they seem to run a bit small at the base. You might want a 26 instead of a 24 if you get a WSP knot.

Good luck and congrats on the brush.

And for the after pics! :001_smile

I did several sessions of palm lathering with dish soap and rinsing. A quick dip in water with a splash of vinegar followed by more palm lathering with dish soap ending with shampoo to get the dish soap smell out. The bristles held up well, I think the will be OK for now.

I use Mother's and it took a quick shine. I stopped because the more mirror like it was getting the more I noticed the little nicks and scratches.

All and all I'm very happy with the results. Honestly if it looked much better I would be afraid to use it.

Hey David thanks for the tips sorry I didn't see yours before I posted. If the knot starts to fall apart I may do a full restoration, but for now like almost all my antiques it will be a cleaned up survivor.

Top Bottom