What's new

What is your favorite Gillette NEW?

oh yeah, i guess it had ended this morning. sure was nice one. and yeah you could say the plating is not completely gone. still got some on the head, but on the handle you can see the copper coming through, think its copper anyhow. yea let me see your ugly one, lol

Guess which is the ugly one ... :lol:

$CAM01403.jpg
$CAM01404.jpg

FWIW, the ugly one is smoother than the pretty #77. Which is good, because it's the one I use.

sure like them tabs on that cap. yeah shes worn pretty good, but still looks good for her age, lol. just something about these that keeps me captivated. i like how you can read nivea in the one, and then the other, just nothin....lol

Managed to snag this one for $34

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414969492.326964.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414969503.860671.jpg

Depending on how this one is with a heavy handle will determine if I keep the 77.

But that's it. No more razors!

The range of responses to the various NEW's is interesting. In my experience, this is how they rank in aggressiveness, from most to least (I love them all):
  • English Flat Bottom
  • U.S. Long Comb
  • Deluxe
  • English Raised Flat Bottom
  • U.S. Short Comb

My favorite is the English Flat bottom. I find it to just edge out the U.S. long comb, and it's both smooth and efficient.

This is very interesting to me. I have known for some time that you prefer the FB, but not your aggressiveness ranking. I just assumed you like mild razors.

Here is my NEW aggressiveness ranking:

Deluxe
UK RFB
UK NEW-Tech Hybrid (basically tied with the RFB OC)
US LC (tied with US Goodwill)
UK US-style LC
UK Goodwill
US SC (tied with Argentinian Goodwill)
UK FB

My favorite is the RFB, but I love them all!

Last edited:
I have a dumb question. How does your aggressiveness chart go, is the Deluxe the most aggressive and the UK FB the least, or is it the other way around?

I have a dumb question. How does your aggressiveness chart go, is the Deluxe the most aggressive and the UK FB the least, or is it the other way around?

The list is decreasing in aggressiveness. I also consider the Deluxe the most aggressive NEW. I agree with Doc's list, although I haven't tried all the razors he mentioned, such as the Hybrid Tech and Argentinian Goodwill.

Not a dumb question at all, there's many different NEWs, but we're here to help. :thumbsup:

This is very interesting to me. I have known for some time that you prefer the FB, but not your aggressiveness ranking. I just assumed you like mild razors.

Here is my NEW aggressiveness ranking:

Deluxe
UK RFB
UK NEW-Tech Hybrid (basically tied with the RFB OC)
US LC (tied with US Goodwill)
UK US-style LC
UK Goodwill
US SC (tied with Argentinian Goodwill)
UK FB

My favorite is the RFB, but I love them all!

That is indeed interesting Doc. It's been several years ago since I became enamored with my Flat Bottom NEW's, having experimented with the other varieties on my list. I recall that the RFB and Short Comb both seemed mild, with stubble returning much earlier in the day than with the Flat Bottom.
Who knows? Perhaps the years will have changed my perception. The razors are all still in my possession, gathering dust in the vaults. I'll dig them out and give them another try!

I posted this razor in some other thread, but I think here is the place to post, as this thread contains pretty much all things NEW.

Also I forgot something ... :tongue_smI was showing a Canadian #77, and the comparison pics I posted show only the Canadian and an English Flat Bottom with the same handle style, only skinnier.
But then you may think ¨Yeah, but the handle of the English #77 is slightly larger too.˝ And you are absolutely right, but ... the Canadian is still beefier, especially the middle knurled part of the handle.

L to R : Flat Bottom - English #77 - Canadian #77

View attachment 510481

View attachment 510482

Could you please weight the Canadian for me!
Thanks!

Do you mean I'll have wait for you to go out and buy a scale? :lol:

I didn't forget your request ... it just happens that after all you're right ... :blush: I thought the scale was in some box in the basement.

Today I asked my wife and she said it's gone, it was a cheap scale that we barely used and it seems like it wasn't even working anymore.

So yeah, you'll have to wait until I actually buy a scale. :lol: It'll be before too long ... don't worry. :wink2:

C'mon man, you must be living within 15 minutes drive from the closes store that sales such things! Get on the car! NOW!

:lol::lol::lol:

I have my rotation 90% set: Gillette New Brit Raised Bottom/UFO Titan; Pendragon Rhodium Plate/Joris Handle/Joris Palladium Head; Pendragon Polished Handle/Gillette Old Type Gold Plate. Blades, Feather, GSB, Med Preps.

Soap: Da Fat!

Top Bottom