What's new

Cast Iron Corn Bread

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Just made a batch very similar to this. Same recipe, just with a helping of honey added. Maybe a little less than 1/4 cup.

Used bacon fat to oil the pan, and cooked for 23 minutes at 425. Had the pan smoking hot before adding batter, so it's nice and golden around the edges. Looks good, just waiting to taste it with the chili I've got cooking.

Lets see see a picture of that chili you're cooking.

Lets see see a picture of that chili you're cooking.

Can do!

$photo.jpg

Can of tomato sauce
Can of chicken broth
6tbsp chili powder
1tbsp onion powder
1/2tbsp cumin
one diced clove of garlic
2 1/2 cups of water
White beans
Lean ground turkey
Honey garlic chicken sausage
Pinch of salt, pinch of pepper
Dash of frank's red hot, dash of sriracha

Browned all the meat, tossed it and everything else in the slow cooker for about 12 hours on the lowest setting. Near perfection! It needed about 30 minutes more to simmer a bit more water off, but I had to get out the door to work.

I like to use turkey as well. It has a lighter flavor and less fat that needs skimming off, if there is any. The Honey garlic chicken sausage is interesting.

SWMBO isn't a red meat fan, so we eat a lot of poultry, which is fine by me in most cases for the reason you noted.

We buy the honey garlic sausage from a farmer at the local farmer's market (free range, organic, blah blah blah). Great stuff. I enjoy them BBQ'd during the summer months. I just split one open, broke it apart, and tossed it in.

SWMBO isn't a red meat fan, so we eat a lot of poultry, which is fine by me in most cases for the reason you noted.

We buy the honey garlic sausage from a farmer at the local farmer's market (free range, organic, blah blah blah). Great stuff. I enjoy them BBQ'd during the summer months. I just split one open, broke it apart, and tossed it in.

If you like Chicken get Wicks Fowlers White Chili Mix or McCormicks.

White CHICKEN CHILI

In a large pot add the following:

2 POUNDS CHOPPED CHICKEN (I used a large rotisserie chicken from the SuperCenter and I used only the breast and thigh meat)
½ medium chopped onion
2 cans Navy Beans with liquid
2 cans White Corn drained
2 blocks Philadelphia Cream Cheese
3-4 cups Chicken Broth (depends on how thick you like it)
2 packages McCormick White Chicken Chili Seasoning
1 tsp White Pepper
½ TBS Minced Garlic
Decent dose of Cavenders
1 can chopped Green Chilies

Bring to a boil and add simmer for 15-20 minutes.
Add one small container (8 oz I think) sour cream and stir in and simmer for 5 minutes.

Ready to eat! Throw some sharp cheddar cheese and some fritoes on top and you're ready to go.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Cream cheese, sour cream, sharp cheddar . . . yeah. What . . . no bacon bits yet?

A couple of questions from the land up over. . . Cavenders is what? (Greek seasoning???)
I've never seen white chilli spice . . . I'm seeing equal parts of sugar, starch, cayenne, oregano, cilantro, and then double as much garlic powder (not salt), and cumin. Does this kinda sorta make sense?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My recipe:

Ingredients:
1½ cup of Cornmeal
1 cup of flour
½ cup of Sugar
2 tsp of Baking Powder
½ tsp of Baking Soda
½ tsp of Salt
1½ cup of Milk (or Buttermilk if you have any)
¼ cup of Unsalted Butter, melted (I use whatever I find around: oil, margarine, lard)
2 Eggs
¼ cup of Shortening

Lots of room for variations. One can experiment with extras added to the batter.
I bake mine for a good 40min.

Enjoy.

I just put this recipe in the oven about 15 minutes ago. I also made some cheater chili- basically Carroll Shelby spiced up with onions, extra cayenne, and kidney beans added.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Looks like fall and winter comfort food. My favorite. Good job Owen.
It was so good. I know it has beans in it, but growing up we were vegetarian, .so I am used to beans in chili. The cornbread was fantastic.

On edit: someone said cinnamon amplifies chili powder. I sprinkled a little in and enjoyed the results

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
It's all good. I promise I won't have the chili police calling on you tomorrow. I like beans in my chili....because I just love beans in anything.

It's all good. I promise I won't have the chili police calling on you tomorrow. I like beans in my chili....because I just love beans in anything.

I'm trying to get my 4 year old to appreciate beans... I've been teaching him the song we all know and love, about the magical fruit.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
There is a happy land
far far away
Where they eat pork and beans
three times a day
Oh how the borders yell
when they hear that dinner bell
Oh how the borders yell
Three times a day.

There is a happy land
far far away