What's new

Cast Iron Corn Bread

I have a guest with gluten intolerance so I tried the gluten free flour instead of white flour. The batter was runnier than usual, actually so runny that I doubted the recipe would work.

Ingredients:
1½ cup of Cornmeal
1 cup of gluten free flour
1/3 cup of Sugar
2 tsp of Baking Powder
½ tsp of Baking Soda
½ tsp of Salt
1½ cup of Milk
½ cup of sour cream (I had some in the fridge and had to be used up)
¼ cup of margarine, soften enough that would incorporate into the batter
2 Eggs
¼ cup of margarine - for the pan

Well, 35min later:

proxy.php

proxy.php

I really like the smell of cornmeal during baking.
It was really good.

May I ask the brand of gluten free flour that you used? This looks delicious and my wife is sensitive to gluten.

Part of the same meal:

Grilled pork shoulder blade. I like this cut because of the marbling and flavor and believe it is one of my favorite pork cuts.

proxy.php

The gluten free cornbread turned puffy and very moist:

proxy.php

Although, next time I will use 1/2 cup of sugar. I think sweeter is better.

I wonder if anyone used honey instead of sugar? Now there is an idea....

May I ask the brand of gluten free flour that you used? This looks delicious and my wife is sensitive to gluten.
I wish I could tell you. My wife bought it from the bulk section of the local grocery store, so I got it in a grocery bag. I bet one can use any kind of flour and this thing would still taste delicious.

This is my family's favorite version of cornbread. It's always been called "Mexican Cornbread". The recipe comes from a wonderful old lady who lived next door to my family in NJ when I was growing up. She was well into her 70s then. She had grown up in the Deep South and had lived in the Southwest for decades. She was an amazing cook. (I remember her fantastic Southern Fried Chicken.)
She also introduced us to Tex-Mex cuisine. We had never had tacos, refried beans or salsa before. (This was the early 1970s, Tex-Mex was a "new" thing on the East Coast.) This recipe is one of her specialities.

Mexican Cornbread
INGREDIENTS
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup cottage cheese
1 can creamed corn
1 can (4.5oz) green chilis, drained, chopped
1 ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
DIRECTIONS
Mix all ingredients except chilis and cheddar cheese.
Pour ½ mixture into a preheated 10" cast iron skillet with a Tbl of bacon grease melted in the bottom. (or lightly greased 8” x 8” baking pan)
Spread chilis and ½ of the cheese.
Top with remaining batter and the rest of the cheese.
Bake at 400°F for 45-55 minutes.
(Note: The "toothpick" doneness test is tough to use on this since the melted cheese will often look like uncooked batter. It's better to use the touch method and see how springy the top of the cornbread is.)

I used this recipe yesterday to go along with our Sunday Roast. The flavors didn't really work well (the roast with the cornbread). But the bread was so delicious, I filled up on it instead of the beef!

I REALLY liked the way the bacon grease started immediately to crisp up the crust as soon as I started spooning it into the pan. I loved how, when slicing, the cheese and peppers sizzled in the pan. I loved the crust and the chewiness (the cheese, I presume).

I didn't really like the texture of the peppers. Next time, I think I'll use fresh jalapeno and dice it up myself to avoid having all the additional moisture in the bread.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Jessy, did you put sugar in it?

I used a fresh hatch chili. I roasted it for a few minutes to get the rawness out of the pepper before adding to the mix. Seemed to come out fine. Didn't really notice the peppers that much but the flavor was there.

Jessy, did you put sugar in it?

I used a fresh hatch chili. I roasted it for a few minutes to get the rawness out of the pepper before adding to the mix. Seemed to come out fine. Didn't really notice the peppers that much but the flavor was there.

I did use sugar. Came out quite nice.

Glad you liked it Jessy!

Aaron - the sugar isn't quite enough to make it sweet (sweet yankee cornbread is another recipe!), but it boosts the flavor a bit.

Yeah, you can use fresh or sauteed jalps or other chilis also. If you use the canned green chilis you need to drain them first, or the batter will be a little wetter than needed . (it's a pretty wet batter anyway)

Glad you liked it Jessy!

Aaron - the sugar isn't quite enough to make it sweet (sweet yankee cornbread is another recipe!), but it boosts the flavor a bit.

Yeah, you can use fresh or sauteed jalps or other chilis also. If you use the canned green chilis you need to drain them first, or the batter will be a little wetter than needed . (it's a pretty wet batter anyway)

Interesting. I found the batter surprisingly clumpy.

I made this last night. Probably could have pulled it out after 35 min. Taste was good but not that sweetness I'm used to. So what would I do to this recipe to make it more of the "Yankee sweet" style cornbread?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I made this last night. Probably could have pulled it out after 35 min. Taste was good but not that sweetness I'm used to. So what would I do to this recipe to make it more of the "Yankee sweet" style cornbread?

I like my cornbread a little sweet, too. I need to stop making these confessions or they are going to kick me out of Texas.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
We're standing by and warming up the truck.
Ha. I grew up in Cleveland, and was exposed to many different ethnic foods. I think that is why I am the way I am. I appreciate all manner of cornbread, BBQ, pizza, etc. While I do have my preferences in all categories, I try not to be a food snob. I used to be a pizza snob, but I have gotten away with it. If someone wants to put pineapple on a pizza, so be it. I may not eat it, but if it floats your boat then have at it. B&B has mellowed me out quite a bit.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Ha. I grew up in Cleveland, and was exposed to many different ethnic foods. I think that is why I am the way I am. I appreciate all manner of cornbread, BBQ, pizza, etc. While I do have my preferences in all categories, I try not to be a food snob. I used to be a pizza snob, but I have gotten away with it. If someone wants to put pineapple on a pizza, so be it. I may not eat it, but if it floats your boat then have at it. B&B has mellowed me out quite a bit.

Don't tell anyone, but I have put sugar in my cornbread and beans in my chili...oh the humanity!!!!

Forgive me father for I have sinned.:a3:

I like my cornbread a little sweet, too. I need to stop making these confessions or they are going to kick me out of Texas.

Heck, so what. There ain't nothing wrong with Oklahoma. If you hold the map up you'll even see it's one step closed to heaven.

Sweet cornbread in my family is a breakfast item. This is my wife's version:

1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1-1/2 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1-1/2 cup milk
In a mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs and beat well. Add cornmeal.
Sift flour with baking powder and salt. Stir in alternately with milk.
Pour into a greased 8” x 8” pan (or similarly sized, preheated, and greased cast iron pan) and bake at 375°F for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
To make muffins, bake in greased muffin pan for 15-20 minutes.

1 egg beaten
1/4 cup veggie oil
1-3/4 cup buttermilk
2 cups corn meal.

Stir well by hand. Not too much. Not too little.

450 degrees 22 minutes. Pre heat the skillet with the oven. Oil it well beforehand.

Just made a batch very similar to this. Same recipe, just with a helping of honey added. Maybe a little less than 1/4 cup.

Used bacon fat to oil the pan, and cooked for 23 minutes at 425. Had the pan smoking hot before adding batter, so it's nice and golden around the edges. Looks good, just waiting to taste it with the chili I've got cooking.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 84
Top Bottom