What's new

Zulu Grey

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Raise the slurry with a DMT and the slurry stone then transfer it to the large Zulu Grey. Problem solved.

Cheers, Steve

How do you guys use this stone. I started using it with oil which gave me pretty good results for finishing razors. Then I began to use it on plain water and with soapy water. That gave me sharp but smooth edges to. Lately I began using it with slurry. The slurry stone that came with the hone is virtually unusable so I followed Michaels advice and took a DMT card. Raising slurry with this is pretty easy but my results were variable. Last Saturday I touched up a Filly on milky slurry and that seemed to further blunt the edge. The test shave was a tugging mess leaving lots of stubble. I read on the other forum that some made that same experience. It seems that thin, "cloudy water" slurry does the trick. I have yet to verify this. Question is: can you go back to plain water with the stone scratched by a DMT card? How will that affect honing. Michael advises to lap the stone with 1500K sandpaper but others stated than scratching the surface of the stone actually improved it's honing abilities. Does anyone have experiences to share?

If you went backwards with the slurry, you likely made it too thick. Too thick will dull the edge from impact against the abrasive particles.. Lighter, misty slurry or water only might be a better bet. In fact, just to remove variables as you explore the Zulu, go water only so you can get a frame of reference on how the stone is working.

DMT card for slurry here as well.

No reason you can't go back to just water after you have used the DMT. I would think you could burnish the stone with the slurry stone you have if you really want to remove the scratches from the DMT, though I wouldn't consider that necessary.

I have more concern for the fact that you used oil on it. It's a hard non-porous stone, so I wouldn't think the oil infiltrated the stone, but I would be sure to wash it thoroughly with something like Simple Green to be sure the surface is clean.

Also, before you take too deep a dive...You don't mention if you stropped the edge before your test shave. You may have actually refined the edge on the Zulu, but have some junk (aka wire or false edge) that needs to be removed. Strop if you haven't and retest.

Thanks. There's no more oil on the stone. I made sure before reusing it with water and yes if course I stropped after honing on canvas and on plain leather. I guess you might be right that my slurry was too thick. I'll try with less next time.

I had the same problem when I used the Zulu grey with a thick slurry. I tried it first on an already shave-ready razor and it basically dulled it. What seemed to work was generating a very light slurry and finishing on water +soap and very very light pressure.

"...but I would be sure to wash it thoroughly with something like Simple Green to be sure the surface is clean."

Sorry to hijack somewhat here, but can Simple Green be used to clean other stones, like Naniwa SS or similar??

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Why would you need anything other than water? What else are you putting on them?

Cheers, Steve

Why would you need anything other than water? What else are you putting on them?

Cheers, Steve

All I ever put on my stones is water (although I'm thinking of using WD 40 on one side of my Welsh slate). MikekiM is the guy who suggested Simple Green. I'm just wondering if he knows something I don't. Actually a lot of people know something I don't

I think the question is, if you're only using water, what is it that you need to clean off?

Whatever you use to lap your stones can be used to 'clean' them and keep them flat at the same time. Some stones ie: choseras come with a 'conditioning' stone that assists in the swarf removal instead of using a diamond lapping plate/wet dry.

No matter how much swarf is clogged in your stone, you can lap it to remove it without the application of any cleaners.

Oh boy...

Let me clarify.. Though the Zulu is a non-porous stone, I suggested Simple Green just to be sure there wasn't any residual oil on. We all subscribe to our own level of anal retentiveness.. I am one who washes my hands between progressions to be sure there are no rogue particles on my hands, stone stand or stones. You may choose to do something different. Simple Green is the most natural degreaser I know of, which is why I suggested that. No idea how it would work on synthetic stones... Someone should try it.. ;-)

As far as my comment about stropping... I recall a honing session where the edge easily passed AHT prior to moving from the 4k to the 8k but once finished on the 8k it failed HHT (controversial as it may be) across the entire edge. Must have developed a wire or false edge that had I not stopped at that point to strop I might have been led to go back down to the 4k unnecessarily. It was just a suggestion.

I've filed this hone, as well the Suehiro 20K and the three Welsh slates, in my "A lot of roll and no butter" file. Are they functional? Yes, spectacular, not really IMO.

I've filed this hone, as well the Suehiro 20K and the three Welsh slates, in my "A lot of roll and no butter" file. Are they functional? Yes, spectacular, not really IMO.

Yeah, I sold one of mine and lent the other one out. I was using them to finish after coticule, but since getting an Escher I have not felt the desire to use my Zulu (the Escher edges are waay better IMHO)....

Yeah, I sold one of mine and lent the other one out. I was using them to finish after coticule, but since getting an Escher I have not felt the desire to use my Zulu (the Escher edges are waay better IMHO)....
Way more expensive also ? I think for some of us with not so deep pockets the zulu fits the bill as a very nice finisher. I use mine with water only after my nani 12k and it surely mellows the edge. If I was just using my naniwa I usually had to use a pasted strop, not so after the zulu.all in all I'm happy with mine. (Until an ec$her falls from the air!)

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Thuri prices are down now. If you're patient you can get one for a really good price. I snagged one a couple weeks ago for less than a happy meal.

I had a zulu for a month or so. Sold it.

Less than a happy meal? Where from?

Aren't zulu's like $200 from the source? Thuri's are cheaper. Dark Blue 7" labeled eschers sell for <$200 fairly regularly.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Less than a happy meal? Where from?

Aren't zulu's like $200 from the source? Thuri's are cheaper. Dark Blue 7" labeled eschers sell for <$200 fairly regularly.
I haven't looked in a while but I think an 8x3 with a slurry stone is 200. That was my point...you can get a great Escher or thuri for the same price and they're much better stones.

Top Bottom