What's new

Independent Scotland?

How will Scots vote?

• Yes - for independence

• No - against independence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Think it's over? Canadians have seen this movie all too often. Wait another fifteen years.
16 year old Morag and Jimmy who voted yesterday for the first time will be back in the polling booth when they're 31, and that vote will be much closer.

Think it's over? Canadians have seen this movie all too often. Wait another fifteen years.
16 year old Morag and Jimmy who voted yesterday for the first time will be back in the polling booth when they're 31, and that vote will be much closer.

I don't think it will be closer - if Scotland get more powers, the case for a Yes vote is even harder to form, so much risk for so little gain.

The failure of the yes campaigners to answer questions about the future of currency, banking, EU membership and jobs meant it was always going to be a no vote. It's all well and good to build a campaign on hopes and dreams and a romantic version of history but they don't put food on the table and when your about to put an X in a box reality bites.

I don't think it will be closer - if Scotland get more powers, the case for a Yes vote is even harder to form, so much risk for so little gain.

I have to respectfully disagree. Canadians of a certain vintage will recognize names like Meech Lake and the Charlottetown Accord, where special powers were given to the separatists in order to soothe their wounds. I don't wish to kick up the dust amongst my Qubecois brethren here, but once the referendum results are in plans are already in motion for the next vote.
My Dad, Edinburgh born, tonight was bellyaching about the results, even though he's happy the "No Thanks" side won, he knows this has only fanned the flames. More "powers" given only makes you hungry for even more.

With respect I think you are wrong. The rest of the UK admire the proud, steadfast Scots and the vibrant cities of Edinburgh, Aberdeen , Dundee et al; but are sick and tired of bankrolling the drug ridden, benefit claiming third world cesspit that is Glasgow.

If they had voted YES the life expectancy and vegetable intake of the UK would have gone up; while the annual rainfall and crime rate would have down. :001_rolle

With respect I think you are wrong. The rest of the UK admire the proud, steadfast Scots and the vibrant cities of Edinburgh, Aberdeen , Dundee et al; but are sick and tired of bankrolling the drug ridden, benefit claiming third world cesspit that is Glasgow.

If they had voted YES the life expectancy and vegetable intake of the UK would have gone up; while the annual rainfall and crime rate would have down. :001_rolle

As a Glaswegian I have to take exception to this extremely inaccurate post. Dundee is anything but vibrant!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Now we see the reality ... Scotland isn't a Nation that ought to be independent ... it's a place where there are a bunch of clans (whether identified by traditional clan names, or by current local geography) that look askance at one another.

Alà Québec, don't assume this is the last referendum. Already speculation much of the No vote was old age pensioners.

This is the beginning of something equally interesting: Devolution. Who'd have thought the idea of an English First Minister would ever be on the table? This will likely cause a number of changes in the UK.

My Friday in Westminster was quite interesting and I won't ever forget it. :001_smile

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Alà Québec, don't assume this is the last referendum. Already speculation much of the No vote was old age pensioners.

A lot can happen in 10 or 20 years. Maybe Independence seems like such a daft idea ... "an independent Scotland? Ach, that's so 2014, laddie ..." or maybe it will seem like an idea whose time has finally come. Perhaps a lot of the young "yes" voters will get more of a "no" sentiment as they age.

One thing about Quebec ... most observers tend to feel that as the years pass, the chances of a "yes" vote winning are always on the decline ... due to immigration and the fact that Quebec's population growth comes from immigrants and their children: those good folks tend to be happier as Canadians and tend not to see the need for an independent Quebec; they tend not to care too much about an army from England beating an army from France back in 1759.

I know nothing about Scottish birthrates or immigration rates, but I suspect that independence from England would not have a particularly strong pull on the emotions of most immigrants in Scotland.

As a Glaswegian I have to take exception to this extremely inaccurate post. Dundee is anything but vibrant!

As a Dundonian, I am extremely pissed aff with this comment... and pissed aff with the No vote...
But proud to be from the YES capitol of Scotland.....

Just to let you all know, there is a lot of videos out there, on the net, of possible vote rigging....... and the natives are getting restless.....

Canihuvabridieananinyinaneanaw !!!!!

The failure of the yes campaigners to answer questions about the future of currency, banking, EU membership and jobs meant it was always going to be a no vote. It's all well and good to build a campaign on hopes and dreams and a romantic version of history but they don't put food on the table and when your about to put an X in a box reality bites.

You forget, Obama was elected on hope for change, nothing tangible.

Top Bottom