What's new

Independent Scotland?

How will Scots vote?

• Yes - for independence

• No - against independence

Results are only viewable after voting.
I just don't get that the Scots didn't vote for freedom...come hell or high water, you would still be free men.

Texas was an independent republic, but joined the US. Same for California. There are social and economic reasons to take into account. Scots are certainly free, compared to most others in the world today. (The aforesaid does not necessarily reflect my views on how the vote should have gone, but is intended to point out some dimensions of the debate that needed to be taken into consideration.)

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
They were free before the vote, they are free now, all under the auspices of the United Kingdom.

Tell that to a patriot Sir:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.[/FONT]

"A decent respect to the opinions of mankind". Pay heed and respect then to the decision that was made.
And never imply that I am not a patriot, Sir.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Respectfully kind sir, there is no implication of not being a patriot. In the days of our countries beginnings we were under, as you say, "all under the auspices of the United Kingdom." It took men who were brave and willing to go way beyond to break the tyranny of British rule. I just wish "that" for any nation and Scotland.

$834205cb9d7db6d39f6987830394ec86debac614119a228a4eb5be2dd515da51.jpg

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Whoa nellie!

This thread just took a turn for the worse ...

:blink:

The vote is over and counted. Now the Scots get to deal with their decision (just as they would have done with a different result). We should probably let this thread drift off into the sunset ...

Though I rather suspect most of us in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland would ALL like to get a divorce from Westminster!

But... the devolution ball is now rolling and the English are now starting to say "oh, hang on a minute"

I'm a Canadian of Scottish ancestry. I hope that Scotland remains within the British union. I think that Scotland as a country...5.5 million...is too small to do well on it's own. People of Scottish ancestry have achieved well ...dispersed to the many different countries they now inhabit.

Interesting statement. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Europe#Population_by_country

PS... Canada (your country and mine) had a population of only around 3,000,000 at time of Confederation in 1867. United States had a mere 2.5 million at the time of their Independence.

Last edited:
Top Bottom