What's new

Show me your "Black" Rifle

proxy.php

Well, it's kinda black. 300BLK Free float barrel
proxy.php

Is that the Boyds furniture set? How do you like that grip? I have the cheap Blackhawk grip now and it's way to thin for my hand. I like the wood grips and being able to customize them much easier is nice too.

Not Boyds. Wood is from woodforar15.com, made by Lucid. Then I reamed the heck out of the handgrips to fit a freefloat tube. 300blk requires a carbine or pistol gas system. NM Float tube was a rifle gas system - more machining later and it finally worked great. Love the grip, good width for my hands.

My beloved 5.45x39mm S&W M&P15R with its Troy handguard, ALG QMS trigger, and Magpul kit. 26k rds, on its second barrel, and second fire control group. All parts that were worn out were replaced on S&W's dime, shipping paid both ways. This is me with it at my recent Pat Rogers class.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Little Lebowski, forgive my ignorance, but what's up with the "stiff arm, choke it like it owes you money" grip on the hand guard?

Little Lebowski, forgive my ignorance, but what's up with the "stiff arm, choke it like it owes you money" grip on the hand guard?

It is a way not the way but it works for me. It helps me negate recoil and having your arm farther out there keeps your muzzle from waving up and down such as when you choke your support back, say even back to a magwell hold. I will admit that this type of hold with the support is currently very in vogue but.....it works for me. Transitions to weak hand and swinging onto multiple targets seem to be easier with this hold as well.

Clear as beer? Please let me know if I can explain further or in a different way.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member

It is a popular grip I see the better 2 and 3 gun guys use. It's one of the reasons I am looking to up grade my MOE handguard to a rail.

Your off hand is what steers the rifle across the range. The AR15 platform has the distinct disadvantage of the sights being very high above the bore. Cupping your hand underneath like a bolt action allow the rifle to roll when transitioning targets. With such high sighting, any small deviation will put you way off target. It also allows the elbows to rise up to parallel with the horizon, again aiding in proper sweep across engagements, though I'm seeing more and more guys drop their strong side elbow. Muzzle rise and recoil abatement are also taken care of with this grip. It also has the benefit of reducing oscillations.

If you're confused, I can start a thread as I have some thoughts on this.

I don't think I'm confused there are just a lot of options. I've been reading a lot just finding out what's available.

I would read any threads on the topic with interest for sure but I don't know when I'll be able to justify getting a rifle unless I get one with a suitable upper and use it as a deer rifle.

Redrider, that's what my build is. A replacement deer rifle. I chose 6.8spcII chambering. Ironworks tactical is a great one stop shop for uppers and complete rifles. I've been building mine up slowly over time since April piece by piece. I did some serious bargain hunting, saved a significant amount of money too. Like my barrel, a 24" stainless bull barrel (0.936" gas journal) I got as a "blem" because it has a ding in the barrel, for only $120! It's normally a $350+ barrel. I bought my LMT enhanced bolt in standard carrier used with 100 rounds through it (seller bought a 300lapua mag...) for $150 and saved $100 right there. Spread out over time, it's much more manageable and assembly is roll pins and wrenches.

I couldn't justify one as a plinking gun and burning up a ton of ammo, but I sure could use a new deer/hunting rifle.

I may try to do that. My budget would probably fare a little better with a PSA rifle kit but piecing parts together over time appeals to me too.

Believe me, I seriously considered going the cheap upper route, but I knew if I did I would eventually end up replacing parts down the road. I made the conscious decision to build only one rifle. My brother started his around the same time, but he is notoriously impatient, he ended up buying two stocks, 3 different brands of mags, 2 scopes, and several numerous other parts as well as damaging some because he wanted to go shoot asap.

Take your time, buy the parts you want when you can afford them. Build the rifle you want. I may still build a .223 Wylde upper, but not for a while.

If you have questions about vendors, compatibility, usage, etc, post it here. Someone will be able to answer your questions. In the mean time, check out 68forums.com for info on the round and it's use as a hunting cartridge.

I don't think I'm confused there are just a lot of options. I've been reading a lot just finding out what's available.

I would read any threads on the topic with interest for sure but I don't know when I'll be able to justify getting a rifle unless I get one with a suitable upper and use it as a deer rifle.

Try this. Work in progress!

Top Bottom