What's new

What do your guests think?

Just out of curiosity, when guests come to your home, what do they think about your bathroom? Do you get any comments about your shaving gear? Any weird reactions, in general, to your shave den?

I'm thinking about this because my in-laws were in town this past week. I went into my bathroom and my hand soap (Dr. Bronner's Citrus Orange) was set aside and the lid was off of my MWF ceramic container and the inside was all wet. I came to the conclusion that my (step)father-in-law had been using my MWF to wash his stupid hands with.

I also get comments, mostly from the ladies, that are along the lines of, "Your bathroom looks like a barbershop!" or "That's so cool that you shave like that!"

So please feel free to share any reactions you may have gotten from the guests in your home. Whether it's a weird one (like a guest being clueless about what a "shaving soap" is and using it to wash their hands), or just some comments.

I came to the conclusion that my (step)father-in-law had been using my MWF to wash his stupid hands with.

I both Laughed and cried a little with this comment. I can only imaging the look of terror on your face when you came to this realization. I can also imagine my own terror if it were me.

I havn't really had anyone ask me about it yet. not really sure why. I guess we don't have that many people use our bathroom when they come over as its kinda part of the master bedroom....

Only comment I have received so far is "That is the most badass thing I have ever seen." That guy has since taken up shaving with a EJ de89 and a boar brush I gave him.

The comment I most hear is; "do you really use that stuff"? They seem shocked when I tell them I do.

Haha! I've never gotten that one, but I can almost see where someone would think that my shaving stuff was just for decoration. It does lend itself to an overall classic sort of look to the bathroom.

I both Laughed and cried a little with this comment. I can only imaging the look of terror on your face when you came to this realization. I can also imagine my own terror if it were me.

I havn't really had anyone ask me about it yet. not really sure why. I guess we don't have that many people use our bathroom when they come over as its kinda part of the master bedroom....

I nearly came unglued. Believe me, the wife heard all about it.
"My" bathroom is also the guest bathroom, since the bathroom adjoining our bedroom has been completely overrun by my wife's toiletries.

As shavesnapper mentions, when I read the question I had laugh a little bit. This happened a while ago when my younger brother (48yo) visited me. At the time he didn't know I had started shaving with a DE razor.

Whenever visiting guests use my bathroom they do sometimes ask if I really shave with DE razors. With the various DE razors, brush, bowls, soaps, aftershaves, etc. some do ask me if I actually shave the old fashioned way. Once I explain that this is my preferred method of shaving it is normally followed by another question. Why don't I use electric razors? They are so convenient.

Once I explain that I like the closeness of shaving with a DE razor they do tend to understand my reasoning. I have yet to have a "convert" to DE razor shaving, but I'm hopeful I'll convert my younger brother of 48 in the future. I'll be buying him a "starter" kit for his birthday. One day his electric razor will die. Then maybe he'll give DE razors a chance.

Last edited:
I keep most of my stuff in the Master bedroom because there isn't enough space in the bathroom for everything. I just take what I need into the bathroom when I shave, then put it back when I'm done. Guests never see it.

The first question I get is wether or not I actually use those "things", to which the answer is "Yes". That always leads to a "Why" followed by a prompt explanation on the several qualities of "old school" shaving. The final question that is ALWAYS asked is, "Do you think you have enough razors?" The answer to that question is an emphatic "No. Not even close".

I went into my bathroom and my hand soap (Dr. Bronner's Citrus Orange) was set aside and the lid was off of my MWF ceramic container and the inside was all wet. I came to the conclusion that my (step)father-in-law had been using my MWF to wash his stupid hands with.

Pray to God he only washed his hands:a47:
That said, just imagine all the fun you'll have pawing thru dear ol' step-dad-in-law's stuff when you visit them.

Pray to God he only washed his hands:a47:
That said, just imagine all the fun you'll have pawing thru dear ol' step-dad-in-law's stuff when you visit them.

Yeah, that thought crossed my mind, but I set it aside and tried not to let it back in.

He doesn't have any stuff to paw through, but I definitely would.

I keep minimal stuff on the countertop, rest is in bins in cabinets and closets.
And, we normally don't have guests into the bathroom!

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I have covered Tabac and a shave stick in a closed screw-type bakelite case. A mug for soaking brushes also. That's it; No razors, blades or brushes. I keep that stuff in a cabinet except the latest brush dries on an endtable next to my chair in the living room.

Everything is in the master bedroom en suite. The only people in there are me and SWMBO. Between her stuff and mine, not a lot of exposed countertop. Not sure where all that stuff from Stirling is going to go.....

All I ever have on display are a razor, brush, mug, and a couple nice looking aftershaves. And we don't have too many guests over, just a few regulars, and they heard all about that damn shaving thing when I first started it up :lol:

Top Bottom