What's new

What is the Best Shave soap you've ever tried.

Martin de Candre, scented.

Wow, surprised it was so far in before this came up. This would be my top choice for current production soaps, with Tabac a close second. However, I would choose vintage Williams and vintage Yardley before either. Just a call-out of the the soap making prowess of our thread starter SliceOfLife, Ian sent me one of his home-made pucks a couple of years back, which I nurse and use for special occasions like fine single-malt scotch, that I would easily place in my top 5 overall.

MdC Fougere: admittedly I have only tried GFT Limes, DRH Arlington, MdC Original Scent, Cade, EJ Sandalwood and a cheap French "savon a rasoir" (which is actually pretty good!) before this, but it knocks spots off the rest.

I've only tried about 5 or 6 soaps, but I would say either DRH Windsor or WM Neumann CO's Lime and Mint Rum. The DR Harris probably performs a bit better but the Lime and Mint Rum is comparable in performance and the scent is to die for.

1 - MWF
2 - Tabac
3 - Palmolive/Haslinger Sandalwood

Palmolive and Haslinger may even be the equals of Tabac. Both Palmolive and Haslinger are very underrated soaps.

Edited to reflect op..

1. Martin de Candre (Scent, Performance, Cushion, Slickness, And after shave face feel, all a 10 in my book) - 10 out of 10

Last edited:
Thus far, I have been having the best results with Mike's Natural Soaps. There are other soaps that are terrific; but Mike's are really working well for me right now.

The first response to the OP is dated Feb of 2010 and the last post is dated today. It is interesting to read through the posts and see the shifts in what soaps people call their tops. Reminds me of studying core samples....

To answer the OP, right now I would have to go with Mike's or MdC. However, I'm hearing some great things about Barrister & Mann that make me want to try it right now! **sigh**..... time to add another ring to that ol' core sample!

Soap? Best I've tried?

WOW....

I would have to say Arko.... ok spank me I said it $spank.gif

Received 5 samples from Mike's Natural Soaps in the mail today. Starting with Hungarian Lavender in the morning.

I really thought Mikes was the best until ... I found Barrister and Mann. Better lather and face feel. And mikes is very hard to beat indeed.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I love the way the OP is worded ... in a sci fi movie all soap is zapped, save ONE, which you can have a lifetime supply of. Then we get all the numbered lists. :lol: It's like the donkey that starved to death between two bales of hay because he didn't know which one to take a bite out of first.

For me, this is easy.

Vintage Shulton Old Spice.

Hands down the best shaving soap I have encountered is Crabtree and Evelyn's Sandalwood (cake). I am simply in love with the scent for one ( which is oddly not all that sandalwoody), but most importantly is that latherability if you will. I am a face latherer by nature, and even with a low quality brush the C&E is able to perform incredibly. I cannot settle for less than highly dense and thick lather, this soap suffices. This has rang true for their other soaps as well actually. But this one is my personal favorite. I will post an extensive review sometime! :)

Top Bottom