What's new

Black Arkansas

i don't know what you call a mess... i put 3 to 4 drops of oil.. smear them with my finger and when i am done i wipe it with a paper towel.... there is no mess....

maybe your using too much oil... it only takes a few drops..

Yeah, maybe. I am just not much of a fan of it. I don't care for the feel of oil on my fingers.

Today I took one razor that was just touched up on a coti and another that I did a lapping film progression (after the bevel was set) and finished both on the black stone. Each razor got 150 passes. Used one on the right side and one on the left. The results were great on both sides. The shave itself was very smooth but you could tell the edge was extremely keen. I'm betting it's going to be a very consistent stone.

My experience is limited, but I agree with Paco that a few drops of oil are all you need with an Ark (there are three equivalent very hard types regarding density: "very hard," "black," and "translucent"). A softer stone (med/soft and hard) may demand a three-day soak in oil before starting--one part kerosene to one part mineral oil from my perspective. Using only a few drops, the oil stays on the surface, rather than rolling off the edges. And not too much problem with oily fingers here; it's sort of like trying to keep water away from the pivot area while shaving--keep a fresh rag handy. Edge of the blade seems to cling to the surface of its own volition, as though slightly weighted down by the oil. Went through an entire progression (med/soft Ark, hard Ark, to very hard Ark) a while back to have an improving series of shaves, although the new translucent in question may not have been worn enough (going to return to one that danjared kindly traded to me when I return to the States). Med/soft Ark is quick & effective for setting bevels IMO.

Last edited:
Very true, but sharp and still as smooth as the known coticule edge-yes sharper is better-for me.

That.....does sound nice....

Although lets be honest here, most of us own more than 1 (or 5) hones, so why not just go to a Thurinigian, C12K, lapping film, CF, etc etc

Does the oil really make it that much sharper while still retaining the smoothness of the coti?

Not long ago I finished a razor on a Spyderco UF with a .5 diamond slurry then took it to a .25 diamond pasted strop. That was a very sharp razor, shaved pretty darn good too but lacked a bit of smoothness. Still it was a good shave.

Let me ask this then, from where did the idea that a coticule should not be used with oil originate? And what kind of oil is or is not to be used with a coticule? I have heard that vegetable oils should be avoided with Arkansas stones...

Last edited:
Does the oil really make it that much sharper while still retaining the smoothness of the coti?
Only one way to know-try it.
Let me ask this then, from where did the idea that a coticule should not be used with oil originate? And what kind of oil is or is not to be used with a coticule? I have heard that vegetable oils should be avoided with Arkansas stones...
I use mineral oil (baby oil)

I tried some baby oil today with the black stone, not messy at all. Did a diluticot with my new found coticule the went to the Arky. Haven't shaved with it but I'm getting some serious hht off this stone. The test will be in a bit.

I tried some baby oil today with the black stone, not messy at all. Did a diluticot with my new found coticule the went to the Arky. Haven't shaved with it but I'm getting some serious hht off this stone. The test will be in a bit.

*(evil laughter ringing from florida and rhode island)

Top Bottom