What's new

Black Arkansas

Got the Arkansas stone in today, it was a lot lighter in color than I had expected. At first I thought it felt a bit course for a finishing stone. I went and lapped, and lapped and lapped it some more with 320 grit w/d sand paper till the grid lines were gone.. Now even at this lower grit she's about as smooth as any stone I've held in my hands. Tomorrow I'll do some more lapping with 400 and 600 grit.

BTW, this is a Black Translucent 8x3x1.

Here's what she looks like so far.

Attachments

• $P1000561.jpg
    $P1000561.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 113
  • $P1000562.jpg
    $P1000562.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 118
  • $P1000565.jpg
    $P1000565.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 119
I hope this doesn't sound stupid but what advantage would oil give me over water with soap?

i always use oil, it just works 4 me. i do not mind the mess if u call it that. i seem 2 make more of a mess with my water stones. i use a variety of oils. i'm not picky but i seem 2 prefer the lighter oils (machine). wid i use alot of different stones just by what i think it (razor) needs and my mood. i think the translucent will further refine edges to the most i have been able to accomplish at this time without it becoming harsh but YMMV.

Keith, I just got done with the 1500x and it is unbelievable the difference in the stone. I've lapped a few stones and I guaranty this stone took on a total transformation compared to any of the others. Like I stated earlier, it didn't seem to be smooth enough for a finisher but now it's as smooth as glass.

There is some work involved with lapping it but I really didn't find it extremely difficult.The hardest part was with the 320 and getting the initial flatness. After that it wasn't to bad at all. I went 320/400/600/1500.

Yeah - keeping it simple is usually best. It's work - but it's also well worth it.
I had to recheck the flatness a few times - I would up relapping my SurgBlack the next day. Not sure why, coulda been I was rushing or tired or both during the first time around.

Remember - you'll need to be totally maxed out on your previous stone before heading onto that gem... they are unforgiving in that regard.

I do recall that. I will use it after a razor is already shave ready from a previous stone.

It doesn't look like a surgical black to me...mine is like....black...jet black. Sure it's the same thing? Regardless, if it works, it works.

I hope this doesn't sound stupid but what advantage would oil give me over water with soap?

i find the oil gives me a MUCH MUCH smoother edge than water.... you can feel the difference on the stone... just try it once ... it cleans up with just a drop or 2 of dishsoap....

More of a mess.

i don't know what you call a mess... i put 3 to 4 drops of oil.. smear them with my finger and when i am done i wipe it with a paper towel.... there is no mess....

maybe your using too much oil... it only takes a few drops..

Btw, guys, when using oil...should the blade feel like its touching the surface of the rock, or should it feel like it is gliding across the oil? Maybe dumb question, but when I use oil and first start out, it doesn't feel like the edge is touching the rock. After a bit, the oil stars to thin out and drip off the rock a tad and the edge starts feeling like it is rubbing the surface. If the idea of oil is to cushion the stone/blade contact, I can imagine the former, but it is possible that the rock isn't even doing anything until I push it through to touch the rock. (This is with mineral oil). Sorry for the dumb question.

I just got done finishing a couple razors with water/soap and it seemed to me there was very little friction on the blade. But then again, after lapping this stone is smooth as glass.

Wet stone, dab one finger in soapy water, swish on stone. Should be a bubble ot two but no suds.
if the bevel is spot on, the blade is flat, and the edge is maxed out correctly, you'll feel suction, but not friction.
Loupe the bevel, you'll see the haze from the Ark.

Kodor,

How did sending your stone out for lapping work for ya?

Never sent it. I got the guy's address, but never heard if the result of the test case was flat and/or glossy. I've been using my norton 4k/8k-bbw-polished surface. It's reaaaaly flat, and glossy in some spots/hazy otherwise, and some light scratches visible. Regardless, whatever I've done to it and however I've used it, it gives some crazy sharp edges. It does leave the edge hazy after the requisite billion laps. :lol: and yup, feels silly flopping a razor across it with soapy water or oil: you ask yourself if it is doing anything, but when you are done and try it, you know!

Last edited:
I decided to compare slurry/oil/water on my combo coti..used both sides..oil does "up the edge" to a more keener feeling to the touch

Top Bottom