What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

I love single rings..highly underrated razor....they don't as much love as the NEW or more modern razors, but with the right blade....they are hard to beat!

Looking forward to it - will probably load with an Astra SP and see how it shaves. Anything about cleaning or disinfecting that I need to know about? It looks good as it is but may dip it in some Barbicide before giving it a go.

I have a Muhle R101 OC and it is my favorite razor. It gives me a better shave than my Feather SS and any of my old Gillittee SS or Slim Adjustables. I have an old Gillette Bostonian, but it is a little to aggressive for me.

Nice.
I came across something that might have been a Bostonian at an antique store a long time ago, before I really knew how to shave with a DE razor. I tried maybe two strokes on my cheecks and put it away. Sold it about a week later.

Matter of fact, if memory serves, I'm pretty sure I sold it to Alex! He probably passed it on a long time ago.

Looking forward to it - will probably load with an Astra SP and see how it shaves. Anything about cleaning or disinfecting that I need to know about? It looks good as it is but may dip it in some Barbicide before giving it a go.

if you want to feel safe, a 10 sec dip in will kill just about anything...

Well, Im official DONE trying to use a SE.....tried again today, and although not as bad as my first and second attempts, the third attempt was still not nearly as rewarding or as easy as using my beloved OC......the SE will be boxed and sent back to my brother........

Well, Im official DONE trying to use a SE.....tried again today, and although not as bad as my first and second attempts, the third attempt was still not nearly as rewarding or as easy as using my beloved OC......the SE will be boxed and sent back to my brother........

:(

Thats a shame. SE's seem to be very polarizing. Either you love them or they don't work for you.

In my case the Damaskeene has been the most intuitavie, efficient and effective razor I've ever used. From the first attempt. For other people it just doesn't seem to work out. :(

At least you gave it a fair try.

Daddy's home.....

proxy.php

Please riddle me this brothers of the OC?

What does a Gillette New Double edge razor look like.... so I know what to look for?

Thanks

Van
For me, when it comes ti a razor getting re-plated it is a matter of personal choice... For me depends on how much I use that razor, and will I be keeing it in my rotation.

If i love a razor... Who cares what the "market value" of that razor is.... If I over paid and got it replated to boot, it is for my shaving pleasure and enjoyment....I like shiny things....I didnt enter hobby to be like the guys in storage wars, trying ti fid a deal and flip it for profit.... Tge razors I keep I use! I am not a collector.

My best advice when it comes to buying or even sending out a replate.... Make sure it is a razor you truly like and plan on using... If it is.... Go for it!! It will give you many years of enjoyment....!!

Please riddle me this brothers of the OC?

What does a Gillette New Double edge razor look like.... so I know what to look for?

Thanks

Van

Just like the one below your post. That is not a NEW handle, but that is a LC NEW head. On the LC, the comb is parellel to the handle, on the SC, it points out at a 45 or so degree angle to the handle.

Check out post 3205 in this thread. I posted three pictures of my LC NEW in that post. The post is on page 161.

Last edited:
that looks like a replated NEW on a Bob's Razor Works custom handle, to me.

If I had to be more specific I'd guess it's a long comb NEW on a Bull Mastiff Deluxe handle. Turtle will be along shortly to tell me what I've won.:001_tongu

Looking to get a sturdy heavy OC merkurs, gillette maybe- dont want to spend a whole lot- lay it on me

Ok Brother...my first question is what qualities are you looking for in a razor?? Mild? aggressive?

How about your beard type? Coarse? Dense? Thin? light?

How often do you shave? Daily? Every other day? A few times a week?

........all of these things are important to know before any razor choice....As far as merkurs, the 11C or 12C ( if you can find...have been discontinued) are good MILD razors.

The mantra we seem to preach for those who first venture into OC territory is the Gillette NEW...you can pick up a user grade cheap, and if's something you like, can always buy a replated version for less money than the cost of buying one and sending it off...For many here is there razor of choice...not overly aggressive at all and just about perfect for most face and beard types.

If you are looking aggressive, the Gillette Old is a step up from the NEW, and the Fatip and 2011 R41 top the scale.....

I hope this helped!

Ok Brother...my first question is what qualities are you looking for in a razor?? The mantra we seem to preach for those who first venture into OC territory is the Gillette NEW..If you are looking aggressive, the Gillette Old is a step up from the NEW, and the Fatip and 2011 R41 top the scale.....QUOTE]

+1.

Top Bottom