What's new

What Are You Reading?

I currently have to read Simply Jesus by N.T. Wright for a Book Review in one of my classes and in another I am reading A Farewell To Arm by Hemingway

I am reading "Phantoms on the Brain". It is a great read regarding neuropsychology and seeks to explore the nature of brain specialization and interconnectedness.

Finished "Dreadnought" by Cherie Priest on the flight to Kansas City. It's part of her "steampunk" Clockwork Century series.

Debating on revisiting "1491: New Relevations of the Americas Before Columbus" by Charles Mann or "West of Jesus: Surfing, Science, and the Origins of Belief" by Steven Kotler.

Last edited:
Finally after seeing the movie,(American version twice and the Swedish version once) I got the book, "The Girl with the Dragoon Tattoo".

Can't put it down!

Currently reading "An American Life" by Ronald Reagan. Presidential biographies have always been a favorite of mine to understand what's going on behind the scenes and in the minds of the past leaders of the free world.

How To Archer: The Ultimate Guide to Espionage and Style and Women and Also Cocktails Ever Written
Charlie Wilson's War
Killing Lincoln

I know that there's a very large amount of avid readers on this board.
So Gentlemen and Ladies(if there are any).
Would you be so kind to suggest for me some Books covering History topics.

Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose, the story of the Lewis and Clark expedition, is one I really enjoyed. I love history, and really lament the change of focus at the History Channel. I've done over a dozen of the history courses offered by The Teaching Company. I put them on my iPod and listen to them in my car. I currently have a course on English history during the reigns of the Stewarts and Tudors. My favorites are a series of courses about the Middle Ages.

Mike

http://www.amazon.com/Undaunted-Courage-Meriwether-Jefferson-American/dp/0684826976

Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose, the story of the Lewis and Clark expedition, is one I really enjoyed. I love history, and really lament the change of focus at the History Channel. I've done over a dozen of the history courses offered by The Teaching Company. I put them on my iPod and listen to them in my car. I currently have a course on English history during the reigns of the Stewarts and Tudors. My favorites are a series of courses about the Middle Ages.

Mike

http://www.amazon.com/Undaunted-Courage-Meriwether-Jefferson-American/dp/0684826976

Thank You

Without going through all 209 pages of this thread, I highly suggest Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand

http://www.amazon.com/Unbroken-World-Survival-Resilience-Redemption/dp/1400064163/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333550564&sr=8-1

I cannot believe that I had never heard of Louis Zamperini before this. If you haven't heard of his story before do not do a google or wiki search before you read this book. You will be even more taken aback by his story if you don't know what's going to happen next.

A Defiant Life: Thurgood Marshall and the Persistence of Racism in America, by Howard Ball, 1998. Highly recommended for any lawyer or law student interested in learning about an attorney who won 36 Supreme Court cases almost single-handedly (before he became Solicitor General of the United States), and risked his life to litigate criminal and civil trials all over the country, at a time when the federal government simply was not litigating civil rights cases. Also highly recommended for its very readable account of U.S. history from the Civil War through Marshall's 1954 victory in Brown v. Board of Education and beyond. For those unfamiliar with Marshall, he finished his career as only the second Marylander to be appointed to the Supreme Court.:shifty:

Just finished up both "I don't have enough faith to be an athiest" by Norm Geissler and "The Screwtape Letters" by C.S Lewis. I am about 25 pages into "Love, a holy command" by Oswald Chambers.

I have a shelf and a half following it to get to...

Top Bottom