What's new

Question about DE Razors...

Well, to start things off, i have a small collection of DEs (http://i51.tinypic.com/2zxtte1.jpg). I'm not sure of the models or anything like that, but I really want to buy a Merkur Futur. I was wondering if any of the ones I own now are as good as the Futur, or maybe they are horrible. I have no idea. I tend to use the blue one in the middle the most and the second one from the left.

If you guys have any remarks or recommendations please let me know. (Also I'm in college so not much $$ to drop on luxury shaving supplies)

I have a worry though, I've been using these since i was 17-ish, and I'm 20 now. I have the experience, but not too aware of different kinds of Razors themselves. Also, for 2 of them, they are slightly tilted towards the left... I'm not sure if it is a defect or just a way the model works.

I think you're referring to slant razors by that tilt.. If so then the general consensus seems to be that they give a much closer shave (along the lines of a straight razor) than normal DE's

I think you're referring to slant razors by that tilt.. If so then the general consensus seems to be that they give a much closer shave (along the lines of a straight razor) than normal DE's

I just took a look at the pic, and it doesn't look to me that any of those razors are slants. Unless I"m mistaken, that may mean that the heads have been torqued somehow (though I can't see it in the pic).

I think the razors that you have in your collection are awesome. You can get an excellent shave from any one of those razors in that picture. If you want a Futur than go for it, if you don't like it you could always re-sell it on BST and get you money back.

Those razors all are equal to or better than the Futur. Of course if you just want a Futur buy one. You don't need one just want one. Go for it.

You should be able to get a great shave out of several of those. Nice collection! When you say tilted, do you mean the whole head? I could swear the 2nd from the right is an SE razor - so fairly one-sided! :wink2:

Left to right I say what you have is:

1940s Style SuperSpeed
Ball end Tech or clone
1950/60s Flare Tip SuperSpeed
Don't know
British Slim Twist
Don't know
SE
Schick Krona

The first one looks in the pic a little like the guard bar is twisted - which would be a problem. Another face on pic will help.

Certainly the two SuperSpeeds and Krona have lots of fans for a great shave!

Ok guys thanks for the feedback, ill take the picture of the slant I'm talking about, hopefully it will be clearer.

Buy a Futur.Great razor.Start @ 1 or 2,and move your way up ...slowly over the weeks.Close shave,just learn the technique.Or go for a Merkur 39C Barberpole (Sledgehammer) Slant.Probably my favorite razor - and use with a Feather blade for an amazing shave!If you have been DE shaving for 2 or 3 years now,these beasta should NOT be a problem.Enjoy!

Yea, it is one sided, but i have no idea what blades it takes. lol

The SE razor that you've got is known as a Gem "G Bar" or Heavy Flat Top. It takes single edge blades (those with a heavy spine and only one sharpened edge like those used in a box cutter--but don't try shaving with any blade you get in a hardware store!)

Gem SE blades are generally available at most Walgreen's drug stores, and Ted Pella SE blades are available online--both of these blades are stainless steel. There are other blades which are made of carbon steel, and then "blued" except for the cutting edge. Carbon steel blades are suceptible to rusting VERY quickly. Unless you're dedicated to daily blade maintenance and replacing blades after every shave or two, my suggestion would be to only use blades made of stainless steel.

I've got one just like it, and love the shaves I get from it. It's definitely a different experience than using a DE razor, and the angle and technique varies between DE and SE shaving a bit. If you're not interested in giving it a try, I'll gladly take it off of your hands.:wink2:

Last edited:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Welcome to B&B! Looks like you have a nice assortment of razors already. You can bend the safety bars back with a screwdriver inserted in the slot between the bar & the other part of the razor head. Do it gently, and carefully, it should bend back to level & even.

Oh, that's just messed up? Is there any way I can fix it?

Ok, I'm going to try that now GaryG and Wingnut, I'm going to buy the blades after my classes today when I'm coming home. Gotta give it a shot after what you just said... lol

Ok, I'm going to try that now GaryG and Wingnut, I'm going to buy the blades after my classes today when I'm coming home. Gotta give it a shot after what you just said... lol

Good luck, and remember the wetshaver's mantra: PREP WELL, WATCH YOUR ANGLE, and NO PRESSURE! Oh, and welcome to B&B, too!

Thank You. Man for this bent razor i have, I cant seem to get the head straight again... not good. lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom