What's new

Looking for $50 Aggressive Razor

Newbie here. I only have a couple of basic razors (appear to be Weishi or Baili rebrands) and am looking to add one or two $50 or under razors to my collection. I have a supply of Treet Falcons and Platinums that most here consider moderate in sharpness. I am wondering what razors would pair well with them and make them perform a bit better, not that I have any real complaints.

I would appreciate any recommendations in the <$50 range. Thanks!

R41, the current incarnation provides an easy and surprisingly smooth shave, when paired to a smooth blade. Probably the absolute closest and efficient razor you can buy for under $50. - You can also buy a replacement head for $25 and pair with a handle of your choice, which is what I did.

I held off from buying an R41 head for the longest time, and finally bit the bullet. Rarely a nick or cut, and a smooth/close shave when loaded with a Voskhod, Lord Platinum, Rapira Platinum Lux, or Pol-Silver SI. Even a Feather is surprisingly smooth, but does have a weeper or two, but that's the blade more than the razor, as it also happens in several other of my razors.

When I did my carbon Treet trials, the Falcon did well in all my razors but it did best in a Red Tip Super Speed. If you're in the U.S., you can get a decent one for $25. It was Gillette's more-aggressive Super Speed, but it's not that aggressive by modern standards.

These are vintage, so I would keep a lookout on eBay for one? Or is there a modern clone somehow?

For under $50 (modern) - R41 or Fatip Grande or Piccolo. Razorock Game Changer 84 maybe, but I believe just under or just over 50. I only have the R41 and the Fatip Piccolo. Both are excellent shavers.

For under $50 (vintage) - There is a clone for the Red Tip from Global Shave Company - but I would go for the original. And just about any Gillette early vintage provides magnificent shaves (you perhaps can tell I love my vintage razors!). The Old Type is the grand father to the Fatip and provides an even closer shave. It can still outperform any of the modern razors. English Gillettes are generally also more aggressive. And finally perhaps the Canadian Tech. Yes it is a Tech which is viewed as mild, but the Canadian is an excellent shaver.

If you get the chance - but they are relatively rare - a Swedish Swing. Superb aggressive razor.

Enjoy!

Guido.

How do you guys know which vintage razors are worth buying? I am assuming you just make sure the guards aren't too bent up? I'm not a collector at this point - anything I buy is meant for actual usage.

How do you guys know which vintage razors are worth buying? I am assuming you just make sure the guards aren't too bent up? I'm not a collector at this point - anything I buy is meant for actual usage.
Yeah, basically that nothing looks badly out of whack. A bent guard or doors that don't align (on a TTO). Generally even the grubbiest looking of these will shave fine, as they were made for hard use.

Agressive is intresting request, thick or coarse beard?

Why do you seek agressive?

Parker adjustable will give latitude of agressiveness.
Not at all - I don't think I have coarse or tough facial hair.

I guess I just want to see what I missing. I have the Treet blades and I have read many comments that they are moderate in sharpness so people find them unusable after 1 or 2 shaves. Me, I am on 6 shaves and counting with the same Treet Platinum blade, so I wanted to see what the Treets feel like when they are amplified with a different razor.

If you just want to check out aggressive razors for the sake of it, I agree that an R41 is a great place to start. They're relatively cheap and perform really well - there's not much to dislike. At a steep angle they get kinda scrapey in my experience, but the shallower you go the smoother they become. Just approach it with a light touch and you'll be golden. :)

Top Bottom