What's new

Looking for $50 Aggressive Razor

Fatip is a rood razor, but for me it is not particularly aggressive.

If you really want to mess with an aggressive head that is cheap, look no further than the Yaqi Knight's Helmet.

Don't come crying to me if you lose a lot of blood and need a transfusion, though, because it is a beast.

I would appreciate any recommendations in the <$50 range. Thanks!

If you are shopping vintage, check out the Buy, Sell, Trade forum here (aka BST forum). You need at least 50 posts to post there, I think. The advantage of the BST is you are buying from a member here and decent pictures are usually provided. The Red Tip Super Speed is not terribly aggressive, but made for the person with a heavy beard. Another possible choice would be a Gillette NEW open comb which came in several different styles.

R41 is a good choice. You can buy the head as a replacement part and pair with a handle you already have. That's what I chose to do.

German 37 is a three piece slant made like a vintage Merkur. Somewhat aggressive but very smooth with the right blade.

Fatip has the open comb regular or slant head. It is a good shaver, IMHO, slightly milder than the R41. The least expensive Fatip is the Piccolo in nickel plate. More expensive is the slant, but still well under $50.

Rather aggressive and crude in a stone knives and bearskins way is the Turkish Yuma. Should be very inexpensive.

Muhle R41.
I typically like using mild razors because I like shaving every 1-2 days. However, I do like switching up and using aggressive razors from time to time. The Muhle R41 is incredibly smooth and efficient when I do feel like an aggressive razor.

Unless you know you want a super aggressive razor like the R41, get an adjustable. Parker has a nice one for around $30, and you might find a Gillette Fatboy for a reasonable price. I'm using a Fatboy on number 9 with a feather blade and that's pretty aggressive, but I just ordered an R41 out of curiosity. The R41 is reportedly very aggressive, but I also use a Feather shavette, so I think I can handle a safety razor.

Another vote here for the R41. I got mine for under $50 a couple months ago and haven't found it all that intimidating. I use it with a really steep angle (the angle recommended by Muhle) and relatively mellow blades, and I get an excellent shave every time. I shave about 4 times per week and have less irritation with it than I did with the Merkur 34C I used before it. You just have to get used to the feel and take a couple days to get the right technique with it.

Top Bottom