What's new

Atelier Durdan Fan Club

IMG_1211.jpeg

++ today with13th use Protouch MG

🤩

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
For those of you who have used a Classic with a Feather ProSuper... and have the + and ++ plates... Does using a ProSuper with a Classic base plate compare to using a "regular dimension" AC blade with the +, ++ base plates? I'm not wording this post very well, but hopefully, you'll understand my intention/question.

The reason I'm asking... I have been contemplating adding a + plate to one of my La Faulxs... Due to the shipping costs, I'd probably do that when/if I end buying the new No. 7 after the reviews from the pass around are completed... Fall, probably...

For those of you who have used a Classic with a Feather ProSuper... and have the + and ++ plates... Does using a ProSuper with a Classic base plate compare to using a "regular dimension" AC blade with the +, ++ base plates? I'm not wording this post very well, but hopefully, you'll understand my intention/question.

The reason I'm asking... I have been contemplating adding a + plate to one of my La Faulxs... Due to the shipping costs, I'd probably do that when/if I end buying the new No. 7 after the reviews from the pass around are completed... Fall, probably...
I was able to test all 3 plates and this is just my 2 bits. I found that the Classic with the Pro super was efficient but not entirely comfortable. The + plate with the Kai mild or Feather pro blades were just as efficient but a bit more comfortable. The ++ plate with the Kai and Feather Pro were much more efficient and just as comfortable as the the Classic with the same blades. So, based on my experience I ordered the ++ rather than the + plate.

I agree with @walpan. The + with a regular blade has similar performance to the Classic with the Super blade but more comfortable. For me the + is the better option as I don’t find Feather blades very comfortable. If you like the Pro Super blade then the + may not be worth it to you.

Having said all this I prefer the ++ plate for daily close, comfortable shaves. It is remarkably easy on the skin while being extremely effective. A win win for me.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I agree with @walpan. The + with a regular blade has similar performance to the Classic with the Super blade but more comfortable. For me the + is the better option as I don’t find Feather blades very comfortable. If you like the Pro Super blade then the + may not be worth it to you.

Having said all this I prefer the ++ plate for daily close, comfortable shaves. It is remarkably easy on the skin while being extremely effective. A win win for me.
I just shaved with the ProSuper a few minutes ago. I didn't get along with the Feather Professional. It was the worst shave I've had with the La Faulx. The ProSuper was smooth and comfortable. I didn't expect that, truth be told.

Thx, @gdawg55 for your input. A simple blade change would certainly be cheaper than buying a + base plate, given its price along with the shipping costs, though AC blades aren't exactly cheap. The only problem is I'm stocked up on Kai Protouch and Titan "Mild" Pinks. I don't want to buy a couple boxes of Feather ProSupers in addition.

I don't think I need the efficiency of the ++ base plate, given what razors the ++ crowd prefers.. If I end up buying a No. 7 after the pass arounds are complete and the reviews are in, I could always add a + plate to that order to save on the shipping costs.

I guess i should alternate between the ProSuper and the Kai "Mild" Pinks a few times to see if it makes that much difference for me, as I've been pleased with the Kais in the Classic. I expected to detest the ProSupers but I was pleasantly surprised.

I just shaved with the ProSuper a few minutes ago. I didn't get along with the Feather Professional. It was the worst shave I've had with the La Faulx. The ProSuper was smooth and comfortable. I didn't expect that, truth be told.

Thx, @gdawg55 for your input. A simple blade change would certainly be cheaper than buying a + base plate, given its price along with the shipping costs, though AC blades aren't exactly cheap. The only problem is I'm stocked up on Kai Protouch and Titan "Mild" Pinks. I don't want to buy a couple boxes of Feather ProSupers in addition.

I don't think I need the efficiency of the ++ base plate, given what razors the ++ crowd prefers.. If I end up buying a No. 7 after the pass arounds are complete and the reviews are in, I could always add a + plate to that order to save on the shipping costs.

I guess i should alternate between the ProSuper and the Kai "Mild" Pinks a few times to see if it makes that much difference for me, as I've been pleased with the Kais in the Classic. I expected to detest the ProSupers but I was pleasantly surprised.
Nice surprise there on the Supers. I would suggest shaving with it a few times in a row to see if it remains smooth for you. For some reason my face and Feather anything don’t get along very well.

In all honesty if your getting great shaves with regular blades in your Classic I wouldn’t bother with another plate unless you order another razor and combine shipping like you mention.

Just used my ++ this morning and I swear it’s the best shaving razor I own….and it has some stiff competition. La Faulx is a crazy good razor.

First shave with ++ plate today after 10 days of use only + plate. Always with Kai Captain Titan Mild blades.

I know, it's too early but ++ plate surprised me. Combination of smooth, easy but close shave. On difficult parts I find it easier as + plate where I had sometimes feelings like missed optimal angle and needed more strokes. With ++ plate no additional strokes requires, so final result is relaxed skin with nice close shave.

For every second day (or longer period) shave I would never touch + plate again. Now I have to find if ++ is ok also for daily for longer period (for me) but looks ok.

For people with classic plate I would suggest as @walpan said skip + and buy ++ plate.

First shave with ++ plate today after 10 days of use only + plate. Always with Kai Captain Titan Mild blades.

I know, it's too early but ++ plate surprised me. Combination of smooth, easy but close shave. On difficult parts I find it easier as + plate where I had sometimes feelings like missed optimal angle and needed more strokes. With ++ plate no additional strokes requires, so final result is relaxed skin with nice close shave.

For every second day (or longer period) shave I would never touch + plate again. Now I have to find if ++ is ok also for daily for longer period (for me) but looks ok.

For people with classic plate I would suggest as @walpan said skip + and buy ++ plate.

Thank you! To get some perspective, what is usually the kind of DE razor you appreciate and is there one you could compare to the ++ plate?

@SeaDiving I'm relatively newbie to wet shaving. After some time with mild and neutral exposure razors, with great suggestions from @Mr Konrad Dundee found that for me works best some positive blade exposure. Easier to find and keep right angle, bigger immediate respons from blade to touch.. that's very personal. Almost all favourites razors of @gdawg55 also works very good for me.

I recommend to everyone to try Blackbird, Yates 921-H, WR1 0.67, if cheap Bayonetta, Lambda Ares (or Athena).

I'm daily shaver 3 passes. As always YMMV..

It’s been a while since I used the vector, and I only have the ++ plate, but I remember similar efficiency between the two, but the La Faulx being considerably more comfortable and smooth. Like ridiculously smooth.

The La Faulx is quickly becoming my top A/C razor and the format is at the top of my preferences 😎

Please be mindful I typically use the Kai Protouch MG (guarded) blade. As always ymmv ….

Interesting. I ended up buying the Vector brand new a couple of months ago, but don't like it that much.

A couple of people just recently told me to take a look at the La Faulx, and I've been taking a real hard look, but looking at the pricing, I'd have no idea what baseplate/blade gap version to buy. I would only be able to buy one, but just wouldn't know which one would suit best. Wish I was in the US to try this pass around.

Does anyone here use the La Faulx for head shaving, and if so, what baseplate are you using and have you tried other AC razors to compare it to?

Interesting. I ended up buying the Vector brand new a couple of months ago, but don't like it that much.

A couple of people just recently told me to take a look at the La Faulx, and I've been taking a real hard look, but looking at the pricing, I'd have no idea what baseplate/blade gap version to buy. I would only be able to buy one, but just wouldn't know which one would suit best. Wish I was in the US to try this pass around.

Does anyone here use the La Faulx for head shaving, and if so, what baseplate are you using and have you tried other AC razors to compare it to?
I have both Vector and 3 different La Faulx plates. What didn’t you like about the Vector? I’ll try to point you in the right direction. The La Faulx is a fantastic razor.

Top Bottom