What's new

replating with which of the following...

I have a totally brassed NEW and would like to replate it. They offer nickel, chrome, rhodium.
Which to choose?

excellent choice. please let us know cost and "who" "they" are. :smile: this will look lovely is it common bar handle or ballend

Well, you have to take into consideration that "they" are (as I am) in Croatia and I doubt they take mail orders:biggrin:

One more question- when replating, does one need to protect the threading and the holes that serve to keep the blade in place or is the plating thin so it doesn't make a difference?

One more question- when replating, does one need to protect the threading and the holes that serve to keep the blade in place or is the plating thin so it doesn't make a difference?

When I have my parts plated I always install a #10-32 machine screw in the hole.
I also have a #10-32 thread chasing die that I use to clean up the male threads before plating.
When the parts come back I run a #10-32 tap down the hole to make sure it's clean.
These tools are inexpensive and are good to have around as used razors often have buggered threads.

And what if I gave an assembled razor to be replated? I was thinking- everything that you can see will be nice and shiny, but when disasembled, it will be clear (to anyone in a few decades time) that the razor was replated (I want it to be clear that the razor is not original)?
But, will the razor head plates "stick" together in that process?

When I have my parts plated I always install a #10-32 machine screw in the hole.
I also have a #10-32 thread chasing die that I use to clean up the male threads before plating.
When the parts come back I run a #10-32 tap down the hole to make sure it's clean.
These tools are inexpensive and are good to have around as used razors often have buggered threads.

Thnx for sharing cooncatbob. That is really interesting, makes sense too!!

Is this the tuckaway I sent you? If not, have you gotten that yet?

Nope. I'll leave it as it is. This is for my totally brassed razors:wink:
My question still stands:

And what if I gave an assembled razor to be replated? I was thinking- everything that you can see will be nice and shiny, but when disasembled, it will be clear (to anyone in a few decades time) that the razor was replated (I want it to be clear that the razor is not original)?

I wouldn't worry - a lot of razors that I've dismantled before plating didn't have plating on internal parts - these include Fatboys, Superspeeds etc. So I'd say that many razors were plated fully assembled.

Top Bottom